Match Thread: Toronto Wolfpack v Featherstone Rovers Saturday 5th October 2019

The Phantom Horseman

So let's not beat about the bush. This is the club's biggest game since 1998, at least. Bigger than all the Championship Grand Finals under Powell, and yes, bigger even that THAT Challenge Cup game in 2012, because if we win this, we get to face Cas at least twice as well as all the other SL teams and finally get to right the wrongs we all feel were done to the club when SL was formed nearly 25 years ago.

We will be underdogs. Again.

But bring it on.

Strength in adversity has been the hallmark of this team, right back from when we just had 9 players at the first pre-season training session. But more than ever now, because the injuries continue to mount, and we are down to the bare bones.

That said, even if Carey joins Walters, Day and King on the injury list, I reckon we can still turn out a competitive team. Think Maskill is the last man standing from the first-team squad who wasn't in the 19 for Toulouse. For me the difficult decision will be who plays right edge back row...Bussey filled in there on Sunday when Hardcastle had to move back to right centre, but if you were starting from scratch you might want to think about switching Johnny D, who has played much of his career in that position, from the middle and moving Bussey back inside, as Jack struggled defensively out wide when he played half back in the home game against Toronto's speedy backs.

Dunno whether there's any chance of Cam King being fit this week but must be doubtful after just 6 more days and if that's so perhaps Maskill will be on the bench as precautionary cover for Jones with 3 middles being rotated through the game.

Still not sure I can believe we are 80 minutes from SL but it's a great time to be a Fev fan.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. Our biggest game in 21 years without a doubt.

In the worst case scenario we will play without Day, Walters, Carey and King. That would be tough but, were it so, we could still line up like this and win:

Ashton Golding

Jack Johnson Josh Hardcastle Alex Sutcliffe Jack Render 

Dane Chisholm Callum McLelland             

Makahesi Makatoa Connor Jones Jack Ormondroyd

John Davies James Harrison James Lockwood     

Subs: Danny Maskill Jack Bussey Luke Cooper Wellington Albert

Obviously, the availability and full fitness of any of those four would improve our chances.

We'll do it. Up The Rovers.

4 minutes ago, lingard said:

I thought we were discussing having no fit players left!  I am not suggesting the players we have are not up to it!!

We will be expecting a good hard game from Fev..always seems to be that way.

We are ready on this end.

RED ROVER...RED ROVER...WE ARE CALLING FEATHERSTONE OVER!

It’s been a great season and I agree with the above post that this may be a game too far.I have removed the thought of winning out of my head so that I don’t get upset as I am a realist but you never know. Anyway way for those who do think we will win why not purchase a 2020  membership at £175 early bird just incase they go up to SL prices. Whatever the result they are all heroes this season.

This is unusual... well, for me it is.

I'm never confident. Never. I'm usually a miserable pessimistic b'stard who is never happy unless we're 50 points up with 5 to play.

But.... but.... I've felt all last week rovers would turn the french over.... and whilst i acknowledge Toronto are favourites... with good reason, i still feel the lads have the confidence, skills and bottle to have a dig.....  a rovers win wouldn't be the greatest surprise........ would it?

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

This is unusual... well, for me it is.

I'm never confident. Never. I'm usually a miserable pessimistic b'stard who is never happy unless we're 50 points up with 5 to play.

But.... but.... I've felt all last week rovers would turn the french over.... and whilst i acknowledge Toronto are favourites... with good reason, i still feel the lads have the confidence, skills and bottle to have a dig.....  a rovers win wouldn't be the greatest surprise........ would it?

If Fev were to turn Toronto over it would be a huge sporting upset. Playing budgets alone say Fev have no chance, added to that a couple of tough trips abroad for mostly part time players and added to that its in Toronto's back yard. All the pressure is on Toronto.......again.

6 hours ago, Blue Pike said:

Anyway way for those who do think we will win why not purchase a 2020  membership at £175 early bird just incase they go up to SL prices. Whatever the result they are all heroes this season.

Club announced last week should the dream become a reality season ticket prices would not change from what has already been announced

Toronto are massive favourites and all the pressure is on them - which is exactly what we want.

Everything suggests Toronto should win and yet I still believe we can go there and get a result. We did it last year with a tiny squad and several players carrying injuries. When our backs are against the wall, we're capable of anything. Whatever happens, this season has exceeding everyone's expectations. 

We're in form and playing our best rugby for years. When time Toronto were really tested? As a philosopher once said, "it's all about the wall. it doesn't matter who puts on the blue shirt."

Come on lads, 80 minutes from Super League!

15 hours ago, lingard said:

any chance of a Briscoe return?

In theory - first one on team sheet for me if available but given our injured players and the maximum loan / DR rule could we fit him in ?  That aside I think its a poor show from Leeds if they don't release him......

58 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

In theory - first one on team sheet for me if available but given our injured players and the maximum loan / DR rule could we fit him in ?  That aside I think its a poor show from Leeds if they don't release him......

Where is he physically and mentally though? He's had a tough SL run-in, he'll have gone through Mad Monday, probably gone off on holiday afterwards. He presumably hasn't trained with us for weeks and he might be mentally switched off, big ask to get him to fly across the Atlantic all of a sudden.

7 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

Is there any news on the injured players and is there possibility of any of the players being fit for Saturday?

Was discussing this with my brother who made the point that we took King and Walters over in the 19 to Toulouse - looking at how Walters was hobbling in his knee brace you have to think he was never likely to play so presumably King was considered quite close to being ready before failing his fitness test. So maybe he does have a chance of playing this week.

Otherwise it would seem a bit strange taking 2 players in the 19 who wouldn't be able to play if someone pulled up in the warm-ups, unless maybe Maskill is injured too and we literally had nobody left to take over instead.

1 hour ago, RobLambert said:

To answer the question re maximum loan/DR though, yes we could fit him in, currently have 3 DR and 1 loan (Albert), you can have a maximum of 4 DRs plus 1 loan in the squad.

19 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Where is he physically and mentally though? He's had a tough SL run-in, he'll have gone through Mad Monday, probably gone off on holiday afterwards. He presumably hasn't trained with us for weeks and he might be mentally switched off, big ask to get him to fly across the Atlantic all of a sudden.

Hasn't he been at the play off matches? I'm pretty sure I saw him with the squad at York, and he's been with the team a few times since he last played for us. Suggests to me that he's still in and around the squad and/or that he's one of our own.

Just now, The Phantom Horseman said:

Was discussing this with my brother who made the point that we took King and Walters over in the 19 to Toulouse - looking at how Walters was hobbling in his knee brace you have to think he was never likely to play so presumably King was considered quite close to being ready before failing his fitness test. So maybe he does have a chance of playing this week.

Otherwise it would seem a bit strange taking 2 players in the 19 who wouldn't be able to play if someone pulled up in the warm-ups, unless maybe Maskill is injured too and we literally had nobody left to take over instead.

TBH I'd start with Jones even if King is fit and included in the 17. I think we look more balanced and far more dangerous with him on the pitch.

Whilst King is obviously a very good Championship player I've not really seen anything to suggest that either SL, never mind NRL, clubs will be queuing up to sign him for next year. I doubt its not just because of the probable cost saving that Salford have snapped up Jones rather than King.

8 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

TBH I'd start with Jones even if King is fit and included in the 17. I think we look more balanced and far more dangerous with him on the pitch.

Whilst King is obviously a very good Championship player I've not really seen anything to suggest that either SL, never mind NRL, clubs will be queuing up to sign him for next year. I doubt its not just because of the probable cost saving that Salford have snapped up Jones rather than King.

Jones has been very good I agree. I thought King was playing really well prior to his injury though and at this level he does have that knack of getting over the line when we get anywhere close. I suspect the major difference between them is their asking price, though Ian Watson did pretty much echo what you say when he compared Jones to King.

Archived