Match Thread: Toronto Wolfpack v Featherstone Rovers Saturday 5th October 2019

The Phantom Horseman

24 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Shows what a toss pot he has become. What the game doesn’t need is more clubs that are unsustainable spending money they can’t cover through income and relying on rich owners to bank roll them who can withdraw their money at any time and effectively bankrupt the club. I read somewhere Wigan lost £1.4 million last season how can that be a good business model? What the game needs are financial fair play rules where clubs are limited to how much the owner can put in and force clubs to be more business leaders like.

They have it in football but it hasn't stopped clubs over spending. 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

I was under the impression that Salford was a city and clubs such as Wigan and St Helens were just towns. They' ll not like you Brian???

City of Wakefield. ? 

13 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

Fully agree although to be honest I think we had just about run out of steam anyway. I am still really proud of the lads and looking forward to next season already 

Prior to penalty, there was a blatant forward pass IMO. The lads were brave and battled well, but as to be expected, full time v part time won in the end. Do not think that they are top of the tree. What a stadium. I call it the stadium of ants. Why are so many people appear to be wandering aimlessly up and down the place?.

1 hour ago, saddleworth said:

Prior to penalty, there was a blatant forward pass IMO. The lads were brave and battled well, but as to be expected, full time v part time won in the end. Do not think that they are top of the tree. What a stadium. I call it the stadium of ants. Why are so many people appear to be wandering aimlessly up and down the place?.

Its just the nature of the people in Toronto...happens for the hockey,, baseball and basketball teams also...always people walking around even in playoff finals....just the way it is over here...will never change,.

2 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

McDermott has only played for successful clubs, so when he talks about big city clubs throughout Europe and North America joining Super League he should stop and consider what would happen if they're not successful, as they can't all be? What rugby league doesn't want is more boom and bust clubs. Some of the northern towns might be just making up the numbers but at least they know how to keep going year on year. I wonder where Toronto will be in 5 years time if they haven't won anything by then?

To be fair I think his comments are being taken out of context.

I've also wondered about Toronto in 5 years if they have not won anything.

The big development was yesterday with the promotion....

If they haven't won anything in SL  for 5 years I think it would still be a good go for them as long as they are competitive.  I don't think Argyle is planning to stay in the relegation zone though (to be honest).

29 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

If they haven't won anything in SL  for 5 years I think it would still be a good go for them as long as they are competitive.  I don't think Argyle is planning to stay in the relegation zone though (to be honest).

The million dollar question is "What are they going to contribute to grass roots rugby"

22 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I think you will find that you'll be welcomed in with open arms, but it will be much more difficult to win trophies, they are the property of the elite who are running the game and they won't like it.

1 hour ago, saddleworth said:

That's what i asked, never seen as many people wandering around at at game. 

10 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

I think you will find that you'll be welcomed in with open arms, but it will be much more difficult to win trophies, they are the property of the elite who are running the game and they won't like it.

We don't care about these elites you have over here.  That crazy class society you have created is just horrible...in the New World we categorically dismiss it...it doesn't play over here.   

We are just going to have take those trophies and bring them back to the working people where they belong.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

What do you think they reaction of the support will be - if any - to Toronto facing tougher teams next year? You've had three years of beating all comers in the lower leagues pretty much. Are Wolfpack fans, in your view, ready for the possibility that you might struggle in SL?

45 minutes ago, hrtbps said:

What do you think they reaction of the support will be - if any - to Toronto facing tougher teams next year? You've had three years of beating all comers in the lower leagues pretty much. Are Wolfpack fans, in your view, ready for the possibility that you might struggle in SL?

Its been a long three years battling the Naysayers...after the hangover from the game yesterday I've been thinking on things and feel a little sorry for all the negative people having to eat crow but that was a meal of their  own preparation.

In answer to your question the base support is strong.  I am just one fan but I've been there from the very start and will be there to the very end.  Many of the other season ticket holders feel the same way.  We know it will be tough but as long as TWP continue to try and improve and do their best (that is from ownership on down) I think their support will grow.

We know we are new to SL but having some losses etc. to be expected.   Some posters have said that a losing streak or a bad season will drain the support and be the end of us; not true for me but maybe for some of the casual bandwagoners but I just don't see it.  I know some of the previous expansion attempts have ended poorly but its not fair to compare Toronto to that; apples and oranges.

More importantly is when the popular mayor of Toronto addressed the crowd after the game and said he was getting moving on stadium improvements and would increase/support  the city backing for the team.

In all honesty, getting some overhead protection from the elements will have a more dramatic effect for the Club than these ideas that the franchise will fail.   Improvements are needed and will be coming to the stadium.....its all good and positive on this end (long term).

Rugby League is now here to stay in Toronto for a long, long time no matter what...thats how I see it anyway.

5 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Its been a long three years battling the Naysayers...after the hangover from the game yesterday I've been thinking on things and feel a little sorry for all the negative people having to eat crow but that was a meal of their  own preparation.

In answer to your question the base support is strong.  I am just one fan but I've been there from the very start and will be there to the very end.  Many of the other season ticket holders feel the same way.  We know it will be tough but as long as TWP continue to try and improve and do their best (that is from ownership on down) I think their support will grow.

We know we are new to SL but having some losses etc. to be expected.   Some posters have said that a losing streak or a bad season will drain the support and be the end of us; not true for me but maybe for some of the casual bandwagoners but I just don't see it.  I know some of the previous expansion attempts have ended poorly but its not fair to compare Toronto to that; apples and oranges.

More importantly is when the popular mayor of Toronto addressed the crowd after the game and said he was getting moving on stadium improvements and would increase/support  the city backing for the team.

In all honesty, getting some overhead protection from the elements will have a more dramatic effect for the Club than these ideas that the franchise will fail.   Improvements are needed and will be coming to the stadium.....its all good and positive on this end (long term).

Rugby League is now here to stay in Toronto for a long, long time no matter what...thats how I see it anyway.

Sounds good. I like the look of Lamport Stadium and the beer tents/festival at one end is a brilliant idea. Are you still seeing first time fans giving RL a go for the first time, or would you say most fans have been following from the very start? I can understand why people stay supporting a club, but I'm interested in what prompted people to give a new and unknown sport a shot in the first place? How does the RL season work around seasons of the other major sports teams in Toronto?

1 minute ago, hrtbps said:

Sounds good. I like the look of Lamport Stadium and the beer tents/festival at one end is a brilliant idea. Are you still seeing first time fans giving RL a go for the first time, or would you say most fans have been following from the very start? I can understand why people stay supporting a club, but I'm interested in what prompted people to give a new and unknown sport a shot in the first place? How does the RL season work around seasons of the other major sports teams in Toronto?

They have to expand that old stadium...it is built strong though (concrete) and all of the lines are straight so an addition should not be a problem...its greatest strength is location.

Still lots and lots of first time fans, especially the young.  For many people it is the first time ever going to a rugby game but more and more are coming back.   I'm sure Season Ticket sales are very strong.   Clothing sales are very good.  The price of tickets is very reasonable in the Toronto market compared to other sports so its a great place to bring the kids if you have them for the afternoon.

Its really just organic growth...I've been to every game and its improves a little bit every time.  The start of the season is dwarfed by hockey and basketball...then they end and baseball and soccer become dominant.  RL just sort of fits between the cracks really...its had to sort of elbow its way in.

As an old rugby player , coach, and ref I have to tell you that most of theses people would never attend or go back to a Union game.  They are not your typical rugby crowd....its a unique animal.

Toronto is a rugby city now....but both League and Union seems to be getting along just fine.  Multiple large Union clubs participate in the halftime activities.

3 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Its just the nature of the people in Toronto...happens for the hockey,, baseball and basketball teams also...always people walking around even in playoff finals....just the way it is over here...will never change,.

I've noticed there's a lot less people walking about than 1 or 2 seasons ago.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

They have to expand that old stadium...it is built strong though (concrete) and all of the lines are straight so an addition should not be a problem...its greatest strength is location.

Still lots and lots of first time fans, especially the young.  For many people it is the first time ever going to a rugby game but more and more are coming back.   I'm sure Season Ticket sales are very strong.   Clothing sales are very good.  The price of tickets is very reasonable in the Toronto market compared to other sports so its a great place to bring the kids if you have them for the afternoon.

Its really just organic growth...I've been to every game and its improves a little bit every time.  The start of the season is dwarfed by hockey and basketball...then they end and baseball and soccer become dominant.  RL just sort of fits between the cracks really...its had to sort of elbow its way in.

As an old rugby player , coach, and ref I have to tell you that most of theses people would never attend or go back to a Union game.  They are not your typical rugby crowd....its a unique animal.

Toronto is a rugby city now....but both League and Union seems to be getting along just fine.  Multiple large Union clubs participate in the halftime activities.

So how long will it be before we can start to see the younger Canadian players coming through and in to the shop window?

40 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

What was the gate?

The announced gate was something like 9 800 but I would say there was at least another 500 or so crammed in there....she was full!   The largest crowd so far for sure.

58 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

I've noticed there's a lot less people walking about than 1 or 2 seasons ago.

It all depends on the game somewhat....sometimes more....sometimes less.  its interesting to watch the sort of 'newbies' : for them this is an exciting social event and can't be missed!  Many have never even see n a rugby ball up close I tell ya.

Many, many women, i would say they outnumber the men...of all ages too...everybody laughing and joking.  Shouting out to their friends, going over to see them even in the middle of the game...not even knowing or really caring what is happening on the field.

What I am trying to tell you is: Its hot man!....RED HOT!  I took my buddy there against Toulouse and he could not take his eyes off all the women...it was real hot out....almost gave the poor lad a heart attack...a word of advice for you if you are coming over...the biggest pickup area is in the mad house beer garden.

48 minutes ago, Auntie Ruth said:

So how long will it be before we can start to see the younger Canadian players coming through and in to the shop window?

Well it all depends.  If the relationship with Union keeps going and some larger Union sides in Toronto start running a League Side...maybe as early as 4 years.  If that did not happen then I would say probably double that anyway.

Its important to get Ottawa in since they plan to develop and they have the perfect storm there at this moment to do just that.

The player quota rule needs to quickly be amended to allow us to sign Canadian players without being penalized....this could be easily done and I simply can't believe they have not done it yet.

There are also other issues.  There are also many positives happening at the moment.

Archived