Sun 6 Oct: League 1 - Play-off Final: Oldham v Newcastle Thunder KO 3pm

Who will win?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Oldham
    • Newcastle Thunder

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/10/19 at 14:00

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Indeed. Looking forward to it. World Cup 9s & England v Jamaica in a fortnight, then GB for the following four weeks.

Then cold turkey for nearly three months. Ouch.

Console yourself with the fact that every stadium will be full of empty seats until February rolls around again ? 

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Indeed. Looking forward to it. World Cup 9s & England v Jamaica in a fortnight, then GB for the following four weeks.

Then cold turkey for nearly three months. Ouch.

You get the Internationals done, then it's Christmas, then you pick up a few nice things in the January sales, then it ain't very long 'til the pre-season friendlies start.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Hopefully this won’t dampen the Thunder owners’ enthusiasm. 

That's my fear too.

A promotion would have guaranteed more investment but another season in L1 doesn't make the same case.

Oldham deserved the victory today but how capable will they be back in the Championship? The club is as poor as a church mouse and investors with money to burn are rarer than hens teeth. 

Just now, Futtocks said:

You get the Internationals done, then it's Christmas, then you pick up a few nice things in the January sales, then it ain't very long 'til the pre-season friendlies start.

I find YouTube eases the pain in winter. Tons of classic games to watch on there.

1 minute ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

That's my fear too.

A promotion would have guaranteed more investment but another season in L1 doesn't make the same case.

Last weekend, the Newcastle main man was talking in terms of 20 years' development across the region, rather than chucking everything over because the Thunder lost one (albeit important) match.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good win for Oldham, the better side over the 80 minutes. They have a pair of good second rows in Langtree and Bridge and Hawkyard was a livewire. However, it was really the game management of the halves that won them the game. Thunder need to learn how to win close games and not just try and score on every set.

They should be favourites for promotion next season, along with Donny and Barrow

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

There are usually friendlies on Boxing Day!

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

I find YouTube eases the pain in winter. Tons of classic games to watch on there.

Peace on Earth, Goodwill to all men, and don't forget to clear your watch history. :kolobok_wink:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

That’s no consolation at all because I can only count up to 9k ?

Don't dispair M of K I'll get you a Etch-A-Sketch for Xmas  then you can play till your hearts content at drawing lines on a pitch then WIPE EM' ALL OUT?

1 minute ago, Clogiron said:

Don't dispair M of K I'll get you a Etch-A-Sketch for Xmas  then you can play till your hearts content at drawing lines on a pitch then WIPE EM' ALL OUT?

I fear even Etch-A-Sketch can’t do Lamport justice, Clogger. What about the polka dots?

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I fear even Etch-A-Sketch can’t do Lamport justice, Clogger. What about the polka dots?

Are they itzy bitzy, teeny weeny?  

For us more mature poster's ?

That was a great game and Oldham deserving winners. The experience in the Oldham team won them the game. They controlled the game and played percentages. 

I think the championship needs a club like Newcastle and they'll be desparately disappointed to have missed out especially after the amount of money they have spent. 

1 hour ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

As the on-field display board collapsed at the presentation,leaving only half of it still standing, Oldham were crowned "LEAGUE 1 PIONS"....

The embarrassing thing was that the board proclaimed them League 1 Champions for winning a promotion play off final

Well played Oldham they deserve promotion due to their on field performance. But i wont hide my disappointment. Newcastle offer so much more to the sport. A good stadium, vision, ambition and a clear plan, they are growing their supporter base and brand by the year and have a great junior development setup. 

Oldham on the other hand are one of many clubs that live month to month and offer very little. 

Anyone know the attendance? It looked busy (fair few Newcy fans behind the sticks on the left) but hard to tell when it’s basically just people standing by the pitch behind a rope. There are much better grounds in the Eastern Counties (football) League. 

3 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

Well played Oldham they deserve promotion due to their on field performance. But i wont hide my disappointment. Newcastle offer so much more to the sport. A good stadium, vision, ambition and a clear plan, they are growing their supporter base and brand by the year and have a great junior development setup. 

Oldham on the other hand are one of many clubs that live month to month and offer very little. 

I had mixed emotions at the end too....being born and bred in Oldham should mean I was happy they won, but in truth there was some sadness that Newcastle lost out on promotion.

Maybe I've been exiled from the North West for too many decades but I now think of myself more as a rugby league supporter than a fanatic of any one club.

For the good of the game, I hope Newcastle do the business and get a promotion or two in the seasons ahead!

18 minutes ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

I had mixed emotions at the end too....being born and bred in Oldham should mean I was happy they won, but in truth there was some sadness that Newcastle lost out on promotion.

Maybe I've been exiled from the North West for too many decades but I now think of myself more as a rugby league supporter than a fanatic of any one club.

For the good of the game, I hope Newcastle do the business and get a promotion or two in the seasons ahead!

I know the feeling, im a saints fan but a RL supporter first these days. I want saints to win next Saturday but i wont be disappointed if salford win and create a great RL story that could benefit the whole sport

1 hour ago, saintspete83 said:

Dry your eyes mate. Newcastle spent a fortune and got beat by poor little Oldham. We offer very little? Just a founder member of the Rugby League that's all. We can't afford a reserve team but when we had one in days gone by I'm sure your Saints benefitted from a few of our Juniors! We don't have much and it will be a huge challenge to stay in the Championship, but we deserve that chance for the loyal supporters who have stuck with them for X number of years, the ground we played at today is certainly as good as Sheffield's, maybe they need kicking out too?

16 minutes ago, Londonfan said:

Shows that Newcastle couldn’t buy a Premiership 

But enough about you; what about the match?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived