Sun 6 Oct: League 1 - Play-off Final: Oldham v Newcastle Thunder KO 3pm

Who will win?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Oldham
    • Newcastle Thunder

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/10/19 at 14:00

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It can either go 1 of 2 ways now for Newcastle , keep putting more money in and forge on with more expensive signings or concentrate on the Union side . Its cost a fair bit of money this season and investors won't be pleased . Their problem has been that some players think there must be a try every set . 

Just now, Anonymouse said:

It can either go 1 of 2 ways now for Newcastle , keep putting more money in and forge on with more expensive signings or concentrate on the Union side . Its cost a fair bit of money this season and investors won't be pleased . Their problem has been that some players think there must be a try every set . 

Don’t worry about us!

We have long term ambitions that haven’t altered because we have missed out on promotion, that’s sport.

We continue with our plans on building a fully sustainable club with a thriving community game.

Congratulations to oldham 

I'm a bit disappointed for Jason Payne,the head coach who lost his job at the start of the campaign,after 2 losses.

It would interest me to see the win/loss ratio of past and current head coach at Newcastle Thunder - and the number of games.

Oldham have stuck by Mr Naylor for several seasons,and he doesn't always have the best of starts.

Oldham now have the hard work of integrating a new head coach - possibly a new home stadium - and recruitment.

Good luck to them.Relegation,with serious doubts about future funding for/after 2021,is a worry for championship and League 1 clubs - but most certainly for League 1 clubs.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

What's the plan for Oldham then? Because that ground cannot be Championship standard surely?!

Boundary Park is or was the favoured option

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 hours ago, saintspete83 said:

I know the feeling, im a saints fan but a RL supporter first these days. I want saints to win next Saturday but i wont be disappointed if salford win and create a great RL story that could benefit the whole sport

I feel exactly the same, having left the North West for East Anglia 20 years ago. Def want Saints to win and I’ll be there cheering them on but I’ll be chuffed for Salford if they beat us too. 

3 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I'm a bit disappointed for Jason Payne,the head coach who lost his job at the start of the campaign,after 2 losses.

It would interest me to see the win/loss ratio of past and current head coach at Newcastle Thunder - and the number of games.

It was harsh getting rid of Payne after 2 games, but with just 20 games this season those two games we lost at the start of the season made quite a difference.  If we had beaten Coventry away we would have finished 2nd and had home advantage today. If we'd beaten Coventry and Doncaster we'd have won the league.

1 hour ago, cookey said:

Disappointed for Newcastle,nothing against Oldham but clearly Newcastle would offer far more to the Championship than Oldham.

Why - the town of Oldham produce many players for all tiers of pro-RL. Despite what you may think, the pro club is well structured with a management board in place. The amateur set in the town is still as strong as ever.

Newcastle's time will come, but they still have a lot of development work to do yet.

I think it would be great to see a Newcastle team in the championship or higher but I don't necessarily buy into this idea that they offer more to the sport so deserved to go up. Ultimately Oldham were the better side on the day and over the season as a whole. I said before that Oldham were the best team I've seen this year. They play for each other and are well drilled. There is some great experienced players in their line up who have bought into what they do and while they many not get massive numbers at games they do have passionate fans with a potential for growth. 

Newcastle will look back at an opportunity missed with 2 teams with much smaller budgets getting promoted ahead of them. Next year will be no cake walk either with a number of clubs strengthening as well as Barrow and Rochdale coming down. They'll be up there again next year but will need to earn it on the pitch like everyone else. 

On 06/10/2019 at 20:45, Sand dancer said:

Close game that could have gone either way and congratulations to Oldham. however how that ground is ever deemed safe or suitable for spectators of professional sport is beyond me - an absolute disgrace

Sheffield’s current ground is significantly worse. It appears stadium minimum standards have slipped albeit possibly due to necessity 

Archived