Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

Sun 6 Oct: League 1 - Play-off Final: Oldham v Newcastle Thunder KO 3pm

Who will win?  

65 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

    • Oldham
      26
    • Newcastle Thunder
      39

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/10/19 at 14:00

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Forget all this nonsense about ooooo Newcastle are helping the community,  the yeds are doing just as much.  Come on Oldham, come on Oldham, come on Oldham.  Oops sorry, that last bit was my heart 😐

Except they're not, are they? 

Newcastle have consistently run U16 and U19 teams. They have two players in the latest England U19 squad.

Oldham haven't turned anything other than a first team out since 2012-13.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, costa said:

Except they're not, are they? 

Newcastle have consistently run U16 and U19 teams. They have two players in the latest England U19 squad.

Oldham haven't turned anything other than a first team out since 2012-13.

True. But that's nothing to do with helping the 'community'. We did win  the reserves grand final when we last run a 2nd team. If only we had a sugar daddy to help. However we have an amateur set up and pedigree that Newcastle can only dream of, now that's a community. Oh, and btw, we have a player in the Irish senior squad, plus many Oldham born and bred players in Super league. Oh ,and oldham players born and bred playing for us. None of that will matter Sunday though. 

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, costa said:

Except they're not, are they? 

Newcastle have consistently run U16 and U19 teams. They have two players in the latest England U19 squad.

Oldham haven't turned anything other than a first team out since 2012-13.

The "community" that Newcastle are trying to absorb into their fan base - and good luck to them in doing so - is what Oldham and many other well-established clubs did many, many years ago.

However, let's see what happens when the novelty wears off and how many of that community stay loyal to the club once their expected rise up the league perhaps falters.

As in all facets of sport, a winning team will attract interest. Yet although a less successful side might still have a hardcore group of supporters it obviously becomes harder to bring in the crowds.

So, good luck to Newcastle (although not on Sunday) but perhaps wait a while before boasting of their achievements in the community.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The "community" that Newcastle are trying to absorb into their fan base - and good luck to them in doing so - is what Oldham and many other well-established clubs did many, many years ago.

However, let's see what happens when the novelty wears off and how many of that community stay loyal to the club once their expected rise up the league perhaps falters.

As in all facets of sport, a winning team will attract interest. Yet although a less successful side might still have a hardcore group of supporters it obviously becomes harder to bring in the crowds.

So, good luck to Newcastle (although not on Sunday) but perhaps wait a while before boasting of their achievements in the community.

I don’t think Thunder are boasting but it’s obvious to anyone but the most ardent miserable RL fan that what they’re doing up there is superb, and far in excess of whatever Oldham are doing. How many schools have Oldham got playing rugby league recently, do they have an active programme to expand the game in the area? Ok so there are already community clubs but that’s no excuse, it’s not like Oldham is a thriving RL area any more so why has that happened and what are they doing about it?

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thunder aren't boasting anything but it's certainly helped raise the profile of rugby league in the area. The NE league is growing all the time, loads more kids playing. Even Hartleppol have a team now! So no matter what happens at the weekend they are doing a great job. Oh and COME ON THUNDER!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I don’t think Thunder are boasting but it’s obvious to anyone but the most ardent miserable RL fan that what they’re doing up there is superb, and far in excess of whatever Oldham are doing. How many schools have Oldham got playing rugby league recently, do they have an active programme to expand the game in the area? Ok so there are already community clubs but that’s no excuse, it’s not like Oldham is a thriving RL area any more so why has that happened and what are they doing about it?

 

1 hour ago, Eleftherios said:

Thunder aren't boasting anything but it's certainly helped raise the profile of rugby league in the area. The NE league is growing all the time, loads more kids playing. Even Hartleppol have a team now! So no matter what happens at the weekend they are doing a great job. Oh and COME ON THUNDER!

My comment never said that Newcastle Thunder themselves were boasting ... it was a reply to another poster.

As I said previously, good luck to Newcastle and I hope they eventually do well but let's see what happens a few years down the line. Every established team has gone through the same process that Newcastle are now doing yet it remains to be seen if they achieve far better success than the many others who have gone down that route.

A statement is made that Oldham is not a thriving RL area any more and why has that happened and what are they doing about it. On what facts is it considered not to be a thriving RL area .... is it just because the local professional club is not among the elite anymore or do you have other pointers towards that comment ? Yes, it might not be as popular as it was but again any sporting team never have the same following if their performances are not as good .... which just may come to pass eventually with Newcastle.

On the second part of "Why has that happened and what are they doing about it ?" Rather than go into all the details I suggest looking up the reports about when the club was promised a new ground by the local Council and which then never happened and have since had to struggle to keep a professional club alive without the help of a sugar daddy ... and those fans who have one to help their club should be forever grateful and just hope he never leaves them. 

Regarding "How many schools have Oldham got playing rugby league recently ?"  The key word there is "recently" .. yes, not many - because they are already have them doing so. The question could be reversed to ask "How many schools have Newcastle had playing RL for many, many year gone by ?" Towns can't re-attract schools once they are already involved in the game.

Again, as said previously, I wish Newcastle all the success but with a word of warning to enjoy the time while you are on the way up because when the rollercoaster comes to a halt is when you will find out just how much support the club really has.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do all schools in the Oldham area play RL then? Do the club have much of a community programme?  As for not a thriving area, I’m going by something one of the presenters in the BBC Manchester RL phone in said recently (I forget his name but he’s from oldham) when he said ‘let’s face it Rugby League is basically dead in oldham’, plus the low crowds at the flagship club in the area. Don’t get me wrong I’d love the game to be big there, and expanding, like i’d love it to be everywhere, but Oldham don’t seem like a particularly progressive club from the outside, whereas NT seem like one of the most progressive in the country. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do all schools in the Oldham area play RL then? Do the club have much of a community programme?  As for not a thriving area, I’m going by something one of the presenters in the BBC Manchester RL phone in said recently (I forget his name but he’s from oldham) when he said ‘let’s face it Rugby League is basically dead in oldham’, plus the low crowds at the flagship club in the area. Don’t get me wrong I’d love the game to be big there, and expanding, like i’d love it to be everywhere, but Oldham don’t seem like a particularly progressive club from the outside, whereas NT seem like one of the most progressive in the country. 

No, not ALL the schools in Oldham play RL. Do ALL the schools in Newcastle play it ?

Yes, Oldham do have a community programme.

So your perception of how RL is faring in Oldham is of one person's opinion ... well, mine is opposite to his.

Yes, low crowds in comparison to how they used to be when Oldham were among the top teams but, as I said previously, let's see how Newcastle fare when the novelty wears off and if their rise up the league comes to a halt.

I only have my fears because of what has happened to other clubs in the past who have promised much to begin with. Many have entered the league with such hopes yet it is still the well-established clubs who dominate the game. Indeed in the 24 seasons of Super League since 1996 the total number of seasons in the division by clubs formed since 1980 has been as follows ...London-20, Sheffield-4, Crusaders-3, Paris-2, Gateshead-1. Not really a fact which says new clubs have made a significant mark on the game.

I do hope Newcastle buck the trend but there have been so many false dawns that I just wonder what the future might bring.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

No, not ALL the schools in Oldham play RL. Do ALL the schools in Newcastle play it ?

Yes, Oldham do have a community programme.

So your perception of how RL is faring in Oldham is of one person's opinion ... well, mine is opposite to his.

Yes, low crowds in comparison to how they used to be when Oldham were among the top teams but, as I said previously, let's see how Newcastle fare when the novelty wears off and if their rise up the league comes to a halt.

I only have my fears because of what has happened to other clubs in the past who have promised much to begin with. Many have entered the league with such hopes yet it is still the well-established clubs who dominate the game. Indeed in the 24 seasons of Super League since 1996 the total number of seasons in the division by clubs formed since 1980 has been as follows ...London-20, Sheffield-4, Crusaders-3, Paris-2, Gateshead-1. Not really a fact which says new clubs have made a significant mark on the game.

I do hope Newcastle buck the trend but there have been so many false dawns that I just wonder what the future might bring.

They’re doing it bottom up though, different to the usual top down approach. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The "community" that Newcastle are trying to absorb into their fan base - and good luck to them in doing so - is what Oldham and many other well-established clubs did many, many years ago.

However, let's see what happens when the novelty wears off and how many of that community stay loyal to the club once their expected rise up the league perhaps falters.

As in all facets of sport, a winning team will attract interest. Yet although a less successful side might still have a hardcore group of supporters it obviously becomes harder to bring in the crowds.

So, good luck to Newcastle (although not on Sunday) but perhaps wait a while before boasting of their achievements in the community.

 

Tbf we've averaged 1,000+ for the past 2 seasons by doing nothing more than being a League One club. Obviously crowds will rise even quicker with a Promotion but the upward trend in crowds hasn't just been about what's been happening on the pitch. Far from it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jimbo78 said:

 

Tbf we've averaged 1,000+ for the past 2 seasons by doing nothing more than being a League One club. Obviously crowds will rise even quicker with a Promotion but the upward trend in crowds hasn't just been about what's been happening on the pitch. Far from it.

I agree with all the above but the interest off the field is often proportionate to the success on it.

In not wishing any problems with Newcastle's progress (apart from Oldham winning on Sunday) the test will always be if the bubble bursts and to then see how many people are still interested if the team starts to be not as successful.

Just to also elaborate on an earlier point I made; Salford have now become just the 8th different club to appear in a Grand Final since it began in 1998 (44 finalists) which seems to indicate just how difficult it is to break into the well-established order.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want Oldham area to expand, Newcastle area to expand, Toronto to expand, Castleford to expand, Barrow to expand, France to expand, Norway and Spain.

And I want us all to congratulate everywhere when we do, and each of us to help that expansion in any way we can.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, thunderpete said:

I want Oldham area to expand, Newcastle area to expand, Toronto to expand, Castleford to expand, Barrow to expand, France to expand, Norway and Spain.

And I want us all to congratulate everywhere when we do, and each of us to help that expansion in any way we can.

... and also at the same time help to prevent the extinction of the game in well-established areas.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a Lancashire lass born and bred and so really I should be supporting Oldham in this match and indeed I've backed Oldham in their many grand final efforts over the years (being a Saints fan means I fully understand such disappointments, until finally the win comes along!) but I just have a soft spot for the Thunder and I do like what I have read about their exploits in the North East.    

However, I wish both teams the best of luck tomorrow and whichever team wins, I am sure they will bring benefits to the Championship.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

I do like what I have read about their exploits in the North East.    

Again in no way am I decrying what is happening in Newcastle - nor am I complaining about Saintslass' preference to win - but many people have obviously read what is happening in the region because of the publicity the club is getting being a comparative newcomer in a non-traditional RL area.  Many other clubs - and I don't just mean Oldham themselves - are also doing similar work but because they have been doing it for many years and isn't a novelty any more nor in an "unusual" area for RL then they don't get that same publicity.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game appears to be back at my old school field again. Looking forward to a good game between 2 great sides.

BTW if Oldham win, I imagine they wouldn't be allowed to play here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets hope for a good game, but no ref shenanigans!😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game on.

Liam McAvoy (Oldham) already in some distress. Not what they need so early in such a match.


Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...