Sat 5 Oct: Championship - Play-off Final: Toronto Wolfpack v Featherstone Rovers KO 7.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Toronto Wolfpack
    • Featherstone Rovers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/10/19 at 18:30

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Brian Carney making some good points that we should be supporting expansion clubs, not taking their central funding and giving it to heartland clubs 

He was certainly the voice of reason on that and echoed many views on here.

Just now, Man of Kent said:

They need to props, back rowers, halves and wingers but apparently they are sticking with all but “the final 15-20%” of this squad according to Martin Vickers.

In that case it could be a short stay in SL. I would have thought Brian McDermott would have fully appraised them of what's going to be needed. 

Ah well, it was not to be.

The lads gave their all, but ran out of petrol around the hour mark.

It's been a fantastic season though, and thanks to all the players. Amazing efforts over the past few weeks especially.

Congratulations to Toronto. They did what they had to do with no frills and no fuss.

Good luck to them in SL. On their 2019 form, they deserve a shot. It'll be interesting to see how they go.

6 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

They need props, back rowers, halves and wingers but apparently they are sticking with all but “the final 15-20%” of this squad according to Martin Vickers.

I think they’ll end up paying off a few players to get them off the books and bring in fresh talent

Great game, great scenes. Toronto sorted themselves out eventually, with Wallace and Mellor the stand-outs in the 2nd half.

Utterly awful punditry from O'Connor and McDermott. Sure, Fev did themselves and their fans proud, but the ode to them in every set and the 'butcher, baker and candlestick maker' stuff was a cringey as it was inaccurate. God knows what they saw in Wilkin's performance that I didn't.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Really enjoyed that game. It was incredibly quick.

Praise goes to Toronto for not panicking when the game was so tight. The occasion looked great too with a huge, passionate crowd. Some established Super League clubs will be worried.

Featherstone were brave too. They've had a long, hard play off run and pushed Toronto all the year.

The only let down was the lovechild of McDermott and O Connor, Jon Wilkin. Really unpleasant to see him laughing in the face of an opponent after a knock on. It's an ugly look. A true champion is only worthy of the name if they act like one.

8 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Great to see Toronto win before a passionate crowd. Great to see the City Support the Wolfpack and hope this can Help push the game in North America.

Passionate crowd? Aye when they scored. Be very interesting next season. 

9 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Unless Toronto manage to sign a few top class players then they are definitely one of those teams...

I think they'll sign a few top quality players. In fact, I think they'll do much better than people are expecting.

1 minute ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

In that case it could be a short stay in SL. I would have thought Brian McDermott would have fully appraised them of what's going to be needed. 

Apparently McDermott likes this bunch due to their team spirit and thinks he can improve them. Not sure I believe him

Fantastic performance by Fev, they were switched on right from the off and played to their limit. For a few minutes in the second half, they glimpsed the promised land. Ryan Carr is a hell of a coach and I hope we can keep him in the British game. 

For Toronto, well, pressure does funny things, and I did wonder whether they were going to blow it again with all the errors, but once the dam broke, they relaxed and took it home. 

So this weird and wild ride is still going, who knows how far it will go and when/if it will end. Whatever happens, time for Elstone to stop being such a grumpypants and show some excitement about the Wolfpack and make the most of the publicity boost of their arrival next year. I suspect they've got some big names up their sleeve. 

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

They need props, back rowers, halves and wingers but apparently they are sticking with all but “the final 15-20%” of this squad according to Martin Vickers.

Not sure they will have much choice if all are contracted. 

Could make next season a tough one recruitment wise especially if players are on 'above market' value contracts and having to recruit fairly late (although I suspect irons are already in the fire).

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

Ash Golding is great in front of the camera and we should get him involved more. Brilliant that he showcased the Jamaica vs England knights game 

Think he could have a big year next year.  Been impressed with him last few games.  Also looks to have some leadership qualities.

1 minute ago, Gates1 said:

Not sure they will have much choice if all are contracted. 

Could make next season a tough one recruitment wise especially if players are on 'above market' value contracts and having to recruit fairly late (although I suspect irons are already in the fire).

It's always possible that being in the top tier of the game they can attract some crossover talent from RU, but we'll see between now and next season.

3 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

The only let down was the lovechild of McDermott and O Connor, Jon Wilkin. Really unpleasant to see him laughing in the face of an opponent after a knock on. It's an ugly look. A true champion is only worthy of the name if they act like one.

Unlike the rest of his team, he embarrassed himself yet again with his shabby classlessness.

Hopefully he's finished now, and I can enjoy watching Toronto in SL without his grubiness.

Saw the 2nd half - thanks CKN for the info -  and soon became clear that Toronto were fitter, faster and had more stamina than Featherstone.  Very creditable performance from them, though, and their skill, motivation, determination cannot be doubted. Someone has to win, though, and Toronto deserved it, in my view.

Archived