Sat 5 Oct: Championship - Play-off Final: Toronto Wolfpack v Featherstone Rovers KO 7.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Toronto Wolfpack
    • Featherstone Rovers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/10/19 at 18:30

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't see this but apparently when interviewed at the end McDermott said Fev had no place in RL (I believe he also included Salford in his comments0

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

A bouncy castle in the mid Atlantic... 

Well tacking it on to the SL GF at Old Trafford comes to mind. After all in the good old days that's what happened with the Premiership Finals.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Travel expenses aside, it would be good to see what each club actually does with that money but I doubt that info will be made available.

It probably wont be much at all tbh.

If it just goes in the normal pot and is then split 12 ways (maybe 13 if the RFL are part of the split), then we are talking maybe £150k. If they pay for 30 staff to go to TWP I expect they will burn at least £60k pretty quickly, plus some teams may end up going more than once.

I'd have preferred it to go centrally to cover these costs as I expect the odd TWP home game to be played over here.

17 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I didn't see this but apparently when interviewed at the end McDermott said Fev had no place in RL (I believe he also included Salford in his comments0

I also havent seen it, but I expect he didnt say that.

Well done Toronto. They fully deserved it and it would have been ridiculous if they didn't go up after winning 26 from 27 games and being so far ahead. It's exciting to bring a new audience to SL and I think we have a promoted team who will compete higher up in the league, rather than finish bottom or struggle. Not sure what will happen regarding early season games, but perhaps they could take games to Florida or California? 

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

they still don't understand the first rule of business that you can't have more going out than coming in

I see this bandied about a lot, and it's a complete myth that this is the first rule of business. If it was, no business could ever actually start.

You have to speculate to accumulate. You also must have accumulated to speculate on the first place, and 9 times out of 10 that comes from borrowing. Most businesses owe money from the very start.

You can't just spend what you have. That's not how business works at all. Spend what you can get with a solid plan to make it back + more.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 minute ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I see this bandied about a lot, and it's a complete myth that this is the first rule of business. If it was, no business could ever actually start.

You have to speculate to accumulate. You also must have accumulated to speculate on the first place, and 9 times out of 10 that comes from borrowing. Most businesses owe money from the very start.

You can't just spend what you have. That's not how business works at all. Spend what you can get with a solid plan to make it back + more.

Can you explain that to my mrs please wellsy?

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

That’s not what he said at all. 

He said that as much as it’s great stories at Fev and Salford, if I’m 5 years time Finals are still competed by “small northern towns” then how can we expect to get investors and TV deals? He said that if Toronto, London, Barcelona (yeah, I’m not sure either) and New York are involved in the game, it’s more attractive to investors and TV companies. 

He’s had a heavy few days with bizarre interviews has McDermott. 

On 01/10/2019 at 14:56, John Drake said:

Discuss the Betfred Championship Play-off Final: Toronto Wolfpack v Featherstone Rovers here.

Please keep this thread about the game itself, not all the periphery issues about who should or should not be in Super League, etc. There are lots of other threads covering those subjects already. Thanks.

A reminder. This is the match thread.

Please stick to talking about the match in here.

There are other threads up and running for all the related issues.

Thanks.

The real success of Toronto Wolfpack has been the consistently high crowds they have attracted.

TBH if a  very rich man spends very large amounts of money it really shouldn't be too difficult to assemble a team better than what the second tier of Rugby League has to offer. It could have been done anywhere Toronto, Batley or Timbuktu.

What has been remarkable has been the steady growth in support from a base of nothing at all. The enthusiasm was plain to see and hear with the chants of 'Wolfpack' in the second half. 

Now it would be good if Toronto could be self sustaining and produce some home grown players. That takes much more time but why not? There is now a foundation to build on if David Argyle can maintain his commitment and investment.

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

There were plenty of Fev fans already at the neutral venue in Iceland waiting for the game.

In all seriousness, Iceland and Reykjavik would’ve been a sensible neutral venue but really what is the point of spending additional money on this? Wouldn’t it just rack up more cost without any benefit?

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

It was one of those nights , not convinced that Fevs 1 at was OK , still not convinced Mcrone got the ball down without hands underneath it , and the ref missed a blatant forward before the penalty leading to Toronto's 2 nd 

But the result stands , no point looking back , it's done 

Then why does it appear your neck is struck in a 'looking back' position?....

Turn you head around and look to the future...this is a great development for all of Rugby League...a new sun and day is dawning....turn your head around Gubs...you are missing it!

6 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

In all seriousness, Iceland and Reykjavik would’ve been a sensible neutral venue but really what is the point of spending additional money on this? Wouldn’t it just rack up more cost without any benefit?

It was a stroke of genius and good fortune to have the game in Toronto...help cement the base and garnered lots of attentions and press for the new club.....hopefully people are watching and we can do something the same for the upcoming new franchises of Ottawa and New York also.

4 hours ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Surely they can pay their own with the money Toronto aren't getting from SL? 

From an article posted yesterday on the CBC website:

"While the RFL has given Toronto the green light to join the Super League, the Wolfpack will play the first year in the top tier under their existing agreement with the governing body. That means paying for visiting teams' travel and accommodation costs, a burden eased by a sponsorship deal with Air Transat."

So $2 million that the 11 SL clubs are divvying up is not going to travel and accommodation, for at least one season.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Did you really write this sentence?

"Absolutely gutted tonight and listening to Brian mcdermott clubs like fev and Salford should just pack it all in the only way that we can stick two fingers up at people like him is to get down post office Road and watch the games and more season ticket holders the better let's get there in numbers next year and support are boys"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2264073731/

As I say I didn't see it , but I read about it on Facebook

Clement Attlee.

“Support are boys”? Expert witness obvs

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

4 minutes ago, Trojan said:

"Absolutely gutted tonight and listening to Brian mcdermott clubs like fev and Salford should just pack it all in the only way that we can stick two fingers up at people like him is to get down post office Road and watch the games and more season ticket holders the better let's get there in numbers next year and support are boys"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2264073731/

As I say I didn't see it , but I read about it on Facebook

Okay that clears it up ? 

This link looks like a local group for local people?

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Okay that clears it up ? 

This link looks like a local group for local people?

It's the Fev Fans group on Facebook.  As I say I didn't see it myself, but after Tony Smith's outburst two years ago, nothing would surprise me.  There's a strong feeling among Championship fans for a breakaway league.  A pipe dream probably.  But it's there just the same.  They believe they've been treated like by their SL big brothers and the RFL.

Presumably the SL fan would say. Good luck get on with it. But it would be the thin end of the wedge. A game divided once again?.  Someone has to lose in order for there to be a winner.  And winning has to have a worthwhile reward.  Many Fev fans are tipping that the RFL will change the rules on promotion now Toronto are safely in the fold.  There's a lot of paranoia in the Championship, with good reason. 

Clement Attlee.

4 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Whats the excuses from clubs who have been playing Rugby League for over 100 years and still running at a loss?

It certainly can't be start up costs

Archived