Sat 5 Oct: Championship - Play-off Final: Toronto Wolfpack v Featherstone Rovers KO 7.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Toronto Wolfpack
    • Featherstone Rovers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/10/19 at 18:30

2 hours ago, Loup said:

From an article posted yesterday on the CBC website:

"While the RFL has given Toronto the green light to join the Super League, the Wolfpack will play the first year in the top tier under their existing agreement with the governing body. That means paying for visiting teams' travel and accommodation costs, a burden eased by a sponsorship deal with Air Transat."

So $2 million that the 11 SL clubs are divvying up is not going to travel and accommodation, for at least one season.

Its a sad state of affairs but we have no choice but to make the best of it.....now you know why Ottawa is waiting.....they were absolutely ready to go next year but after observing a few things they want a good 'look/see' ...studying if Toronto can make money in long term.

Weird governance this RL.  Poorly run outfit.

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Dave T said:

It probably wont be much at all tbh.

If it just goes in the normal pot and is then split 12 ways (maybe 13 if the RFL are part of the split), then we are talking maybe £150k. If they pay for 30 staff to go to TWP I expect they will burn at least £60k pretty quickly, plus some teams may end up going more than once.

I'd have preferred it to go centrally to cover these costs as I expect the odd TWP home game to be played over here.

That answer is exactly what I would expect some clubs to say, but 50  - 60k into grassroots is considerable based on the very small amount going in now.  Also, whatever Fund matches there are could add more to that.

Just now, Lowdesert said:

That answer is exactly what I would expect some clubs to say, but 50  - 60k into grassroots is considerable based on the very small amount going in now.  Also, whatever Fund matches there are could add more to that.

But this obsession about every penny should go towards player development is a bit tiresome.

There is an assumption that this money will be spent on worthless things, based on zero.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

But this obsession about every penny should go towards player development is a bit tiresome.

There is an assumption that this money will be spent on worthless things, based on zero.

A bit silly saying it’s tiresome.  It might be to you, without any input in the game bar TRL and Twitter, but to amateur clubs a few thousand would be beneficial as would the same amount going into Foundation work.

Where do I assume?  

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

A bit silly saying it’s tiresome.  It might be to you, without any input in the game bar TRL and Twitter, but to amateur clubs a few thousand would be beneficial as would the same amount going into Foundation work.

Where do I assume?  

I'll leave you to it if you want to be like that, making stuff up.

I never said you assumed anything.

18 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Kendall is not bent he's just inept.  I must have been on here dozens of times and highlighted the fact that every game he takes charge of is a lottery.  You win some you lose some.  It shouldn't be like that.

You said blind and suspect you meant towards one team otherwise you would have said he was carp for both sides. Ergo you think he was bias toward one side, which by definition you think the ref is bent, just not worded that way.

I highlighted your comment because I got a month ban (and the threat was to be permanently banned but due to good posting record that was the only thing that saved me). There was zero warning and given the lack of any mention of that being a banning offence was wondering why the Mod/s haven't waded in to do same.

48 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

What do you expect with such a condescending approach?

It wasnt meant like that, I genuinely find it repetitive and tiresome on these threads, and this isnt aimed at you, but I'm not the one telling clubs how they should spend money. Wasn't there a story about the Salford Director putting his house on the line for the club to survive this week?

You'd think they are sitting in gold plated offices drinking champagne all day the way some people talk about them. 

I dont disagree with the principle, which should be spending it on important stuff, but then buying players is pretty important. Youth development obviously needs an appropriate level of funding and effort, but every single signing from the NRL will have posts calling it a joke saying that they should have spent it on local youth players. 

Those putting their house on the line to run clubs get to decide whether we like it or not.

43 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

No cheap jibe at all, but based on this fact.  Are you saying that 10 of these names didn’t play?

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/second-division-2019/featherstone-rovers/summary.html

In a word - YES. Unless you are counting pre-season friendlies, in which case nearly every other club will have a huge list of number of players played too.

As for "based on this fact", is this from the famous US school of "alternative facts"?? It's laughable that you're quoting statistics from some random website as if they're "fact". At least eight of those players only played in pre-season friendlies (some were released before the season began), and some of those other names are ridiculous - Sam Scott plays for York and has never played for Fev, I have no idea who "Cameron Sutcliffe" is.

5 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

In a word - YES. Unless you are counting pre-season friendlies, in which case nearly every other club will have a huge list of number of players played too.

As for "based on this fact", is this from the famous US school of "alternative facts"?? It's laughable that you're quoting statistics from some random website as if they're "fact". At least eight of those players only played in pre-season friendlies (some were released before the season began), and some of those other names are ridiculous - Sam Scott plays for York and has never played for Fev, I have no idea who "Cameron Sutcliffe" is.

According to that site Sam Scott played 2nd row vs Widnes in the 1895 Cup. Is that definitely not the case?

9 hours ago, Scubby said:

This okay for you? Clearly slides over

image.png.b8efd702072b5501549b91bb35a4ecc9.png

Or not when you're Fev playing Toulouse. Btw does the armpit count as downward pressure?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

28 minutes ago, Dave T said:

According to that site Sam Scott played 2nd row vs Widnes in the 1895 Cup. Is that definitely not the case?

LOL, of course it's not. Sam Scott plays for York as he did last season. It's not like he's an unknown player in the Championship, he's been around the league for years. It looks like they've scraped data from the Love Rugby League website, errors and all.

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Whats the excuses from clubs who have been playing Rugby League for over 100 years and still running at a loss?

It certainly can't be start up costs

I didn't realise the game was the same as it was back then and the same chairmen were involved?

Every new initiative has a start up cost. Every takeover has start up costs. Do you think clubs should have a pot of money that they sit on and wait to decide what to do with? That's actually terrible business practice because they'd end up getting taxed on it.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

3 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

No cheap jibe at all, but based on this fact.  Are you saying that 10 of these names didn’t play?

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/second-division-2019/featherstone-rovers/summary.html

Of course I am. I am a statistician and my work is more rigorous than that website that should know better than to include pre-season friendlies with trialists and juniors in the list of official fixtures. 42 players. Thats a fact. Oh, and it was a cheap jibe. 

1 hour ago, marklaspalmas said:

Of course I am. I am a statistician and my work is more rigorous than that website that should know better than to include pre-season friendlies with trialists and juniors in the list of official fixtures. 42 players. Thats a fact. Oh, and it was a cheap jibe. 

No shortage of them on this thread. 

BTW Has anyone thought what would have become of Ashton Goulding if he hadn't been playing for Fev?  Leeds clearly didn't want him.  This brilliant player may have been lost to the game entirely.  He's been excellent for us, wish we could keep him, but he's off to pastures new.  Good luck to him.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

12 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I didn't realise the game was the same as it was back then and the same chairmen were involved?

Every new initiative has a start up cost. Every takeover has start up costs. Do you think clubs should have a pot of money that they sit on and wait to decide what to do with? That's actually terrible business practice because they'd end up getting taxed on it.

Mate we've had over a 100 years to get it right on and off the field of play and we still can't

21 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Mate we've had over a 100 years to get it right on and off the field of play and we still can't

The field of play isn't static, it's ever changing.

Don't get me wrong, there is a huge advantage, but there are different people in charge every time making different decisions and learning new things every time against new and different challenges. It's not as black and white as people like to make out.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

22 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

The field of play isn't static, it's ever changing.

Don't get me wrong, there is a huge advantage, but there are different people in charge every time making different decisions and learning new things every time against new and different challenges. It's not as black and white as people like to make out.

Some people say London has had nearly 40 years to get it right and haven't.

We have had over 120 years to get it right and haven't

12 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

? ok point taken Mark.  No cheap jibe intended at all - that is fact too.

RLP will only be able to go off what they are given from each club.  In your opinion why would those numbers be so far out?

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

? ok point taken Mark.  No cheap jibe intended at all - that is fact too.

RLP will only be able to go off what they are given from each club.  In your opinion why would those numbers be so far out?

No biggie, I do like my stats, so I'm touchy on this point. ?

The difference in the case of FR in 2019 is 7 players who played in the Yorkshire Cup match. That was a friendly, not an official game. Plus Cam Sutcliffe (invented amalgam of Cam Smith and Alex Sutcliffe??) and Sam Scott as mentioned. 51-those 9 = 42.

Nowt to do with you, but inaccurate/lazy stats is a bit of a bugbear of mine. It takes a bit of time to get it right, but it's worth it I feel. There are moves to reform the pioneering Record Keepers' Club of the 1970s for the online digital age. If that happens, it would be superb. The work will be based, as always, on volunteers rather than the clubs themselves.

FWIW RL project is a great idea, brainchild of one guy from Australia, who is in regular contact on FB. It's hugely over-ambitious and unless you get two or three dedicated stattoes from every single club on the case then the lack of scrutiny and analysis means too many errors creep in and it becomes a bit worthless.

The same on Loverugbyleague website. Nice idea, but too many errors so what's the point.

There's a guy working tremendously hard on wikipedia. Also, a huge job.

The best (only really reliable) UK RL statistics come from League Express/LPL with their weekly paper and the yearbook.

** Obviously when I stay stats here Im talking about tries, goals, appearances, career records, season by season. Im not referring to match stats such as yardage, tackles, errors etc, the type of thing done by OPTA, SKY etc.

Archived