Sat 5 Oct: Championship - Play-off Final: Toronto Wolfpack v Featherstone Rovers KO 7.30pm (TV)

Who will win?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Toronto Wolfpack
    • Featherstone Rovers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/10/19 at 18:30

4 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Some people say London has had nearly 40 years to get it right and haven't.

We have had over 120 years to get it right and haven't

But let's be honest, you will never have the view that they have got it right.

Because ultimately there is no right and wrong. 

All we can do is the very best we can. 

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Michael1812 said:

Re: attendance numbers

According to the Howlin Hour, there were many more than the announced attendance and the Wolfpack have been fined for being over capacity. 

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, it was packed. I know I counted to 12,021 then someone moved and messed up my count.

23 minutes ago, Damien said:

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, it was packed. I know I counted to 12,021 then someone moved and messed up my count.

lol, don't you have it when they move unexpectedly?

I was surprised by the figure as 9,600 was the fire code capacity from my understanding. Also they don't count any kid's that are 5 and under in the headcount as they get in without a ticket and there's definitely 100 or so kids at the game.

crazy eh. we get more kids under r5 at a game than some clubs get on total attendance...just realized that.

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:32, DimmestStar said:

The real success of Toronto Wolfpack has been the consistently high crowds they have attracted.

TBH if a  very rich man spends very large amounts of money it really shouldn't be too difficult to assemble a team better than what the second tier of Rugby League has to offer. It could have been done anywhere Toronto, Batley or Timbuktu.

What has been remarkable has been the steady growth in support from a base of nothing at all. The enthusiasm was plain to see and hear with the chants of 'Wolfpack' in the second half. 

Now it would be good if Toronto could be self sustaining and produce some home grown players. That takes much more time but why not? There is now a foundation to build on if David Argyle can maintain his commitment and investment.

It's what Fulham did in 1980. Basically they bought the Widnes team (who were basically over the hill in terms of 1st Division) with one or two additions.  Got them promoted and then relegated the following season, because they didn't follow up by spending more money on a (then) first division side

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

5 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Some people say London has had nearly 40 years to get it right and haven't.

We have had over 120 years to get it right and haven't

Depends what you mean by "getting it right"  what I mean is winning something.  Fulham/London have had 40 years to win something, or at least produce regularly a stream of talent.  IMO they haven't done either.  OK there's been one or two players. How many have St Pats produced in that period?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

20 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

crazy eh. we get more kids under r5 at a game than some clubs get on total attendance...just realized that.

Don't you just hate how the Wolfpack keep spreading the game to the next generation of players.

I think the final was a fair reflection on the Championship season as a whole - Toronto just too good for everybody but they faced a very doggied and hardworking team. 

Toronto knew they were in for a very tough game, but also knew they had to be patient and they weren't going to score off every set. 

Although Featherstone were leading in the first half, the defensive efforts and pressure Toronto were building they were going to fade away at some point. A very good gameplan, which I wouldn't have expected anything less from Brian McDermott - who will respect Featherstone a lot from his time at Leeds. 

I don't think Toronto have to go out and get a lot of players either, I think the current team would stay up - but it would depend on how ambitious they are. They are good, progressive club - who I 'd love to see do well. They are a great story and talking point and should be proud of what they have achieved.

As for Featherstone, what an amazing turnaround this season - it';s been a rollercoaster, but came strong at the right time. On another day, if they would have had less travel time in the last week, I reckon the game would have been much closer. 

A massive well done to Toronto, really looking forward to seeing their Super League adventure.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Don't know how Wilkin keeps getting away with it.  He nuts Chissy, and all the commentators can talk about is his wisdom in not rising to Chissy's retaliation.  Wilkin should have had a yellow for that.  He should have had a red for his behaviour at P O Road

Clement Attlee.

44 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Don't know how Wilkin keeps getting away with it.  He nuts Chissy, and all the commentators can talk about is his wisdom in not rising to Chissy's retaliation.  Wilkin should have had a yellow for that.  He should have had a red for his behaviour at P O Road

Valentine Holmes

16 hours ago, Michael1812 said:

Re: attendance numbers

According to the Howlin Hour, there were many more than the announced attendance and the Wolfpack have been fined for being over capacity. 

This is not a shock. If the announced number was correct then it would only have been a bit more than the home opener against Swinton. However, the facility was far more crowded than that day in April. A good estimate would be somewhere between 11,000 and 12,000.

Archived