Fri 4 Oct: SL - Preliminary Final: Wigan Warriors v Salford Red Devils KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/10/19 at 18:45

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It didn't seem to bother the Salford fans 

Underdogs playing away from home in the playoffs is always attractive. Salford had more there last night than they did at home last week.

But away games are not part of season tickets, so purchase behaviours are not being changed.

But we can keep ignoring huge drops because the away teams (always the underdogs) bring good followings.

I know it’s quite a negative thing to say, but I just hope we don’t get any idiot bandwagon fans next week who drink too much during the day and cause a scene on the big stage on their big day out. And that we can focus on good news stories! 

Cos sadly we have form for this recently 

Just now, DoubleD said:

I know it’s quite a negative thing to say, but I just hope we don’t get any idiot bandwagon fans next week who drink too much during the day and cause a scene on the big stage on their big day out. And that we can focus on good news stories! 

It doesn't matter who is in the Final, with the kick off time there will always be idiots in attendance who can't hold their beer who can't behave.

33 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Warrington will be watching on TV, so it’s okay. 

Made up for Salford. When Koukash went, I thought they'd be done as a SL club within the year.

Regardless of how it goes on Saturday, their inclusion is a real shot in the arm for smaller clubs. In modern sport it is easy to look at it and think that the days of small clubs doing anything are long gone.

As a Widnes fan, I don't think I've ever genuinely felt like we could ever be champions again. Maybe win the cup, but never champions. We're just too small. It's the same in football, as an Evertonian I don't seriously think we'll ever challenge again.

Days like yesterday, just give that glimmer of hope that maybe one day we could pull it off.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Underdogs playing away from home in the playoffs is always attractive. Salford had more there last night than they did at home last week.

But away games are not part of season tickets, so purchase behaviours are not being changed.

But we can keep ignoring huge drops because the away teams (always the underdogs) bring good followings.

Your right we can’t keep ignoring the drop at some of our big clubs.  The attendance last night from Wigan fans was embarrassing.  They should be forced to come but don’t just make them buy tickets at the start of the season they should have to send a letter in explaining why they can’t attend and if it isn’t a good enough reason I don’t know maybe stocks.

on a slightly more serious note why didn’t the good people of Wigan find last nights game appealing?  Was it just about saving money for the final tickets? Did they not fancy their chances and don’t like to watch a loosing team? Or just bored of rugby?

I think this result must be marked as the Day London recalled what TGG was and remembered where Salford is, pretty historic moment that.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

This is my take: most, if not all sports, clubs, team, activities attract glory hunters. Nothing wrong with that. Their money is real.  Even if just a small proportion remain after the glory has  gone, that has to be better than nothing. Therfore. if anyone were to argue that the increase in Salford fans for this game was because of glory hunters, my response would be "fine, we've had their money and who knows, some may stick around after the glory has gone" 

As for the barrel-scraping Wigan critics on here, do you really think anyone is taken in by your nonsense? 

5 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

To be pedantic, 9858. Did the obvious thing and looked on the Wigan website!

So Wigan probably get 10k home fans for regular games minimum. They got half that last night.

Wire probably get 9k home fans minimum and they got half that in their playoff. 

We can ignore it, or double those crowds very easily.

11 minutes ago, JohnM said:

This is my take: most, if not all sports, clubs, team, activities attract glory hunters. Nothing wrong with that. Their money is real.  Even if just a small proportion remain after the glory has  gone, that has to be better than nothing. Therfore. if anyone were to argue that the increase in Salford fans for this game was because of glory hunters, my response would be "fine, we've had their money and who knows, some may stick around after the glory has gone" 

As for the barrel-scraping Wigan critics on here, do you really think anyone is taken in by your nonsense? 

I totally agree.

it was well demonstrated last night both teams have a very high count of glory hunters.  Can we do anything about it?

and no I don’t think anyone is taken in.

The last two weeks have obviously been extremely disappointing from a Wigan point of view. However, when you consider where they were just a few weeks into the season and fans were looking at the bottom of the table rather than the top, to have finished one win away from the GF can hardly be considered failure. In the last two games they have been beaten by better teams and in addition have looked more like the team that struggled early on in the season.

All credit goes to the Salford players and their coach, Ian Watson, for what they have achieved this season; Watson must surely be voted Coach of the Season. 

Just a comment about the Salford support last night which was outstanding apart from an obscene chant that was totally unnecessary and does not fit with our claim to be a “family game”. I hope you all enjoy next week; St.Helens will rightfully be favourites but as we well know upsets do happen.

the complete and utter failure of williams after leuluai went off confirms my belief that unless he has a class seven at the raiders he won't last a season.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

43 minutes ago, cookey said:

Cricket,football,rugby union fans all pay for extra games,yet we still have the half wits wanting something for free.Even if it was free they'd be complaining it was on the wrong day,the wrong time etc,etc.

I think there a couple of reasons for problem with crowds for the play off matches.

The most obvious factor is that we now live in an era of ‘season ticket culture’ for all sports, so it’s a shock for any home match when you have to put your hand in your pocket for tickets,  This problem is then amplified by the cumulative nature of the play-offs where fans are asked to fork out several weeks in a row... how many Wigan fans stayed away in order to budget for an anticipated Grand Final appearance.

It seems like a huge marketing own goal to be playing matches like last night, which are golden from a sporting perspective in front of a 60% empty stadium.

Last nights match features prominently in the news this morning, the packed Salford end looked as magnificent as the empty Wigan stands looked awful.

10 minutes ago, my missus said:

the complete and utter failure of williams after leuluai went off confirms my belief that unless he has a class seven at the raiders he won't last a season.

It might help playing with a pack that goes forward mind,Wally & Sterlo in their prime would have struggled playing behind that pack over the last few games.

1 hour ago, redsi42 said:

Your right we can’t keep ignoring the drop at some of our big clubs.  The attendance last night from Wigan fans was embarrassing.  They should be forced to come but don’t just make them buy tickets at the start of the season they should have to send a letter in explaining why they can’t attend and if it isn’t a good enough reason I don’t know maybe stocks.

on a slightly more serious note why didn’t the good people of Wigan find last nights game appealing?  Was it just about saving money for the final tickets? Did they not fancy their chances and don’t like to watch a loosing team? Or just bored of rugby?

£25 for a ticket to play Salford two weeks after playing them probably had something to do with it. That combined with how we played against Saints, not many people expected a win. I was there, unfortunately, but can see why fans would be put off.

Patwigaw

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

It might help playing with a pack that goes forward mind,Wally & Sterlo in their prime would have struggled playing behind that pack over the last few games.

Indeed , I’ll be interested in how he goes but he’s going to a very good , confident side now . He and they will have big expectations and focus on them , and he’s in a key spot where he’ll be under the microscope but I reckon he’ll do fine and will kick on again there 

it was a poor turnout but i don't think it would have been any better at any other ground and probably a lot less had it of been a yorkshire side.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

Archived