Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
John Drake

Fri 4 Oct: SL - Preliminary Final: Wigan Warriors v Salford Red Devils KO 7.45pm (TV)

Who will win?  

64 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

    • Wigan Warriors
      28
    • Salford Red Devils
      36

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/10/19 at 18:45

Recommended Posts

Well done Salford, and hopefully a shot in the arm for the game in general - another Saints - Wigan game wouldn't have exactly got the pulses racing outside the two towns. Incidentally this is Salford's first appearance in a Championship play-off final since 1939, when they beat Cas 8 - 6 at Maine Road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Of course there is. If it is paid for up front, people attend. It is 100% proven.

Or we could moan, tut, scratch our heads and wonder why fans are not bothering every year even though we know how to fix it.

How we charge for it has loads of options, but getting it on the season tickets is what needs to be done.

It's like Netflix scrapping subscription fees in December and using pay-per-view and then wondering why viewing figures are down. Our model is subscription fees, over pay per view.

 

It didn't seem to bother the Salford fans 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MZH said:

I cried uncontrollably watching Hull a few times this season. Can I get free tickets too?

Yes,.   To watch the Robins😁

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It didn't seem to bother the Salford fans 

Underdogs playing away from home in the playoffs is always attractive. Salford had more there last night than they did at home last week.

But away games are not part of season tickets, so purchase behaviours are not being changed.

But we can keep ignoring huge drops because the away teams (always the underdogs) bring good followings.

Edited by Dave T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it’s quite a negative thing to say, but I just hope we don’t get any idiot bandwagon fans next week who drink too much during the day and cause a scene on the big stage on their big day out. And that we can focus on good news stories! 

Cos sadly we have form for this recently 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the attendance was? Can't seem to find it anywhere!

Are Wigan allowed to count the players? That would help a lot.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DoubleD said:

I know it’s quite a negative thing to say, but I just hope we don’t get any idiot bandwagon fans next week who drink too much during the day and cause a scene on the big stage on their big day out. And that we can focus on good news stories! 

Cos sadly we have form for this recently 

It doesn't matter who is in the Final, with the kick off time there will always be idiots in attendance who can't hold their beer who can't behave.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I know it’s quite a negative thing to say, but I just hope we don’t get any idiot bandwagon fans next week who drink too much during the day and cause a scene on the big stage on their big day out. And that we can focus on good news stories! 

Cos sadly we have form for this recently 

Warrington will be watching on TV, so it’s okay. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made up for Salford. When Koukash went, I thought they'd be done as a SL club within the year.

Regardless of how it goes on Saturday, their inclusion is a real shot in the arm for smaller clubs. In modern sport it is easy to look at it and think that the days of small clubs doing anything are long gone.

As a Widnes fan, I don't think I've ever genuinely felt like we could ever be champions again. Maybe win the cup, but never champions. We're just too small. It's the same in football, as an Evertonian I don't seriously think we'll ever challenge again.

Days like yesterday, just give that glimmer of hope that maybe one day we could pull it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'Salford have been a breath of fresh air to Super League'

From Wigan Today!

  • Like 1

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Underdogs playing away from home in the playoffs is always attractive. Salford had more there last night than they did at home last week.

But away games are not part of season tickets, so purchase behaviours are not being changed.

But we can keep ignoring huge drops because the away teams (always the underdogs) bring good followings.

Your right we can’t keep ignoring the drop at some of our big clubs.  The attendance last night from Wigan fans was embarrassing.  They should be forced to come but don’t just make them buy tickets at the start of the season they should have to send a letter in explaining why they can’t attend and if it isn’t a good enough reason I don’t know maybe stocks.

on a slightly more serious note why didn’t the good people of Wigan find last nights game appealing?  Was it just about saving money for the final tickets? Did they not fancy their chances and don’t like to watch a loosing team? Or just bored of rugby?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this result must be marked as the Day London recalled what TGG was and remembered where Salford is, pretty historic moment that.


“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cricket,football,rugby union fans all pay for extra games,yet we still have the half wits wanting something for free.Even if it was free they'd be complaining it was on the wrong day,the wrong time etc,etc.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Are Wigan allowed to count the players? That would help a lot.

9.800 and summat.


 

You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my take: most, if not all sports, clubs, team, activities attract glory hunters. Nothing wrong with that. Their money is real.  Even if just a small proportion remain after the glory has  gone, that has to be better than nothing. Therfore. if anyone were to argue that the increase in Salford fans for this game was because of glory hunters, my response would be "fine, we've had their money and who knows, some may stick around after the glory has gone" 

As for the barrel-scraping Wigan critics on here, do you really think anyone is taken in by your nonsense? 


Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

To be pedantic, 9858. Did the obvious thing and looked on the Wigan website!

So Wigan probably get 10k home fans for regular games minimum. They got half that last night.

Wire probably get 9k home fans minimum and they got half that in their playoff. 

We can ignore it, or double those crowds very easily.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JohnM said:

This is my take: most, if not all sports, clubs, team, activities attract glory hunters. Nothing wrong with that. Their money is real.  Even if just a small proportion remain after the glory has  gone, that has to be better than nothing. Therfore. if anyone were to argue that the increase in Salford fans for this game was because of glory hunters, my response would be "fine, we've had their money and who knows, some may stick around after the glory has gone" 

As for the barrel-scraping Wigan critics on here, do you really think anyone is taken in by your nonsense? 

I totally agree.

it was well demonstrated last night both teams have a very high count of glory hunters.  Can we do anything about it?

and no I don’t think anyone is taken in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last two weeks have obviously been extremely disappointing from a Wigan point of view. However, when you consider where they were just a few weeks into the season and fans were looking at the bottom of the table rather than the top, to have finished one win away from the GF can hardly be considered failure. In the last two games they have been beaten by better teams and in addition have looked more like the team that struggled early on in the season.

All credit goes to the Salford players and their coach, Ian Watson, for what they have achieved this season; Watson must surely be voted Coach of the Season. 

Just a comment about the Salford support last night which was outstanding apart from an obscene chant that was totally unnecessary and does not fit with our claim to be a “family game”. I hope you all enjoy next week; St.Helens will rightfully be favourites but as we well know upsets do happen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the complete and utter failure of williams after leuluai went off confirms my belief that unless he has a class seven at the raiders he won't last a season.


 

You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, cookey said:

Cricket,football,rugby union fans all pay for extra games,yet we still have the half wits wanting something for free.Even if it was free they'd be complaining it was on the wrong day,the wrong time etc,etc.

I think there a couple of reasons for problem with crowds for the play off matches.

The most obvious factor is that we now live in an era of ‘season ticket culture’ for all sports, so it’s a shock for any home match when you have to put your hand in your pocket for tickets,  This problem is then amplified by the cumulative nature of the play-offs where fans are asked to fork out several weeks in a row... how many Wigan fans stayed away in order to budget for an anticipated Grand Final appearance.

It seems like a huge marketing own goal to be playing matches like last night, which are golden from a sporting perspective in front of a 60% empty stadium.

Last nights match features prominently in the news this morning, the packed Salford end looked as magnificent as the empty Wigan stands looked awful.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, my missus said:

the complete and utter failure of williams after leuluai went off confirms my belief that unless he has a class seven at the raiders he won't last a season.

It might help playing with a pack that goes forward mind,Wally & Sterlo in their prime would have struggled playing behind that pack over the last few games.

Edited by Davo5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redsi42 said:

Your right we can’t keep ignoring the drop at some of our big clubs.  The attendance last night from Wigan fans was embarrassing.  They should be forced to come but don’t just make them buy tickets at the start of the season they should have to send a letter in explaining why they can’t attend and if it isn’t a good enough reason I don’t know maybe stocks.

on a slightly more serious note why didn’t the good people of Wigan find last nights game appealing?  Was it just about saving money for the final tickets? Did they not fancy their chances and don’t like to watch a loosing team? Or just bored of rugby?

£25 for a ticket to play Salford two weeks after playing them probably had something to do with it. That combined with how we played against Saints, not many people expected a win. I was there, unfortunately, but can see why fans would be put off.


Patwigaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...