Smaller Physique RL

People with disabilities cannot compete with fully abled ones so they have been catered for. Women could not be expected to play men so they are now being included. In both cases they are embracing the game with gusto.

For some, adding smaller built people may seem unnecessary and when I put the post up I expected plenty of flack. That hasn’t been the case, reflective of a realisation that RL is an inclusive sport and looking at ways to broaden its reach is a way forward. 

Twenty years ago, the idea of women playing would have raised eyebrows. Not anymore. One positive trend in society is a more open view of doing things. A sport shouldn’t just allow a narrow band of people to play. The more that can, the more that will appreciate it.

i appreciated the positive feedback.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

I'll  give a few examples about RL in Auckland.

1) I knew a man from the Cook Is, not huge but solid. He played low grade senior RL in Auckland and said it was incredibly physical. What they lacked in skill they tried to make up in aggression. He didn't stick around long playing it.

2) Another man of smallish stature took to lower grade RL as a young adult but gave it up after a couple of years due to repeated head knocks trying to tackle guys well over his size. 

3) My brother worked with a an average built man who played lower level RL and came to work each Monday barely able to walk. 

Maybe NZ has a somewhat unique situation. There are plenty of big guys running around all levels of the game. The lower the skill, the rougher it gets too. 

I would happily play in a weight grade adult comp. I also think if it encouraged people to get involved, then why not? 

If you wouldnt want to be tackled by a 100 KG guy or what have you wouldnt tag or touch rugby league be your thing? Trytagrugby.com or the Touch Rugby Leagues that are out there would accommodate and they are funded and linked to RFL as they play matches at Magic this is run separate is the Disability league usually played 7 a side mixed on a mid week

It would be interesting to see, if a trial match was organised, who would come forward and how it would progress.

If its justifiable in boxing, MMA, judo, wrestling etc. why would it be a source of embarrassment in Rugby League?

Suggesting players should go to touch football instead, is like telling a boxer he should be content with shadow boxing, if he can't fight the heavyweights.

This is a very interesting idea. 

''There are plenty of small blokes blahdeblah........   which disprove this idea''. Disprove what idea?

The thrust of the original post was that some people may be put off playing our game, if they are of smaller stature.

That is an interesting hypothesis.

Parksider himself, said the game was too tough for Northern lads, poor things. 

We have no statistical data on this belief but if it is true, then the creation of a middleweight division might just draw them back in.

That's the ''idea'' I found interesting. You're opinions don't prove or disprove anything. 

There is no mention of skill levels in the quote you pasted above. You invented that one.

The original post, which you are mis-representing was about smaller athletes feeling out-muscled by heavier men, not more skillful ones.

Middleweight boxers are at least as skilled as heavyweights, usually far more so and a hell of a lot faster.

If they entered the same competition, they'd probably end up poleaxed by the heavier man.

Middleweight category rugby league has every chance of being faster, more skillful and more entertaining the Super heavyweight RL.

Isn't that why we all prefer our game to Rara?

Just because you don't like the idea, don't try to re-define what I and the original poster intended.

4 hours ago, fighting irish said:

There is no mention of skill levels in the quote you pasted above. You invented that one.

The original post, which you are mis-representing was about smaller athletes feeling out-muscled by heavier men, not more skillful ones.

Middleweight boxers are at least as skilled as heavyweights, usually far more so and a hell of a lot faster.

If they entered the same competition, they'd probably end up poleaxed by the heavier man.

Middleweight category rugby league has every chance of being faster, more skillful and more entertaining the Super heavyweight RL.

Isn't that why we all prefer our game to Rara?

Just because you don't like the idea, don't try to re-define what I and the original poster intended.

I've appreciated your comments FI. Some people argue without facts. John Bateman nudges 100kgs and over 6 feet tall but some think he is small. I guess that proves the point that the game is for big guys. 

6 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

"Unless a smaller framed person has some exceptional attributes,  RL is increasingly not catering for such ones." If exceptional attributes doesn't refer to skill levels, what precisely does it refer to? 

In a combat sport such as boxing, there's a very limited trade-off between size and other factors because the smaller bloke would literally be knocked out before they could benefit. In RL that is completely different. Smaller people will be faster, more able to change direction, more able to endure for longer periods. If you cannot make those trade-offs work for you, drop down to an easier level. Size in the absence of other qualities is not some advantage that trumps all. 

If RL increasingly doesn't cater towards smaller people, has anyone told the likes of Luke Keary and John Bateman? A skillful smaller player can still thrive compared with less skillful bigger players. 

Should we also have special leagues for particularly slow people? Or particularly unfit people? After all, being fast or fit is also an advantage. 

And again, you've completely missed the point. The question I asked was are some players, not playing our game because they feel outmuscled? If the answer is yes, how many? If the numbers are significant, maybe Middleweight rugby league might draw them back in to the fold. 

Not wishing to enter into the wrong argument but eager to pay you some respect, for your opinions. Luke Keary and John Bateman do possess exceptional attributes (not skills). Those attributes may be:- comic book (super hero) physical strength. higher bone density, faster healing metabolism, granite hard psychological strength. etc. etc. which allows them to excel on the biggest stage.

These are not the people I'm talking about.

I'm open to new ideas, which might accommodate more participants.

Your position is a Daddy knows best, if you can't swim just sink or eff off and play with the girls, you pussy attitude.

You and I are very different. 

Archived