Toronto Given Green Light to Enter Super League

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Damien said:

Interesting to see the emphasis on promotion being sanctioned by the RFL.

Three perfunctory pars that could be read as ‘We don’t really want them but we have no choice’.

Makes you wonder if Super League could properly breakaway in future, ie licensing and a closed shop. 

16 hours ago, The Parksider said:

1. Because SL are short of viable clubs for Superleague hence they proposed a cut to 10 early this year that Championship clubs rejected. Argylle offers himself as a rich owner which is one thing we want, but we also want clubs to underpin a TV deal and develop players. TWP cannot do either of those things and never will, but Warrington can. Wire score 3 out of 3 Toronto score 1 out of 3. 

2. Because of the three criteria TWP obviously can't meet player production or TV money requirements but they have a rich owner, but he doesn't like to pay debts. Therefore they didn't meet any criteria, and the only one Hunter could fix "at the moment" was financial guarantees. It's a given they don't meet the other two.

3. Yes  but you were on this website in 2016 when Perez answered the  RFL's required criteria for what clubs needed to do to meet Superleague standards. The criteria TWP were asked to work towards were.........

NA PLAYER DEVELOPMENT WAS REQUIRED AS PEREZ ACKNOWLEDGED BUT FAILED TO DO:-

Eric Perez 6th, May 2016 Perez: “We will be working with the CRL to develop a strong talent pool. 19th. July 2016 “We want as many Canadians in the squad as possible, there is a wealth of talent, college football super athletes. 27th, April 2016 “we’ll be spending a month here to ensure we find the top athletes this country is producing: there will be North American roots.23rd Nov 2016 “ there will be ‘at least five, maybe 10, players from Canada, the USA and Jamaica in the TWP squad”.

TV DEALS WERE REQUIRED FOR THE GAME HERE BUT THEY DID NOT MATERIALISE SO PEREZ SAID:-

Eric Perez late 2016 "TWP was never just a one club project. One team is not enough to yield what you need to yield from the NATV market. To bring NATV revenues, to really start bringing new money into the sport you've got to have at least five or six North American clubs in Superleague in the next 10 years."

TWP fail on their  own stated aims of bringing to the game more players and more TV money, with Perez recently stating "it isn't easy" when asked where the players were. When asked about where the TV deal was as above he says that will come in once once four more NA clubs replace four English clubs in SL. 

Read it TWP was never just a one club project You and others think it's fantastic TWP go up for London, but now it's my turn to ask you - which four Superleague clubs should be relegated for Ottawa, New York, Montreal and Vancouver between now and the end of Perez's  "10 year plan" 2016-2026 for a Transatlantic League???

You ok hun. 

6 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

If Toronto do get up, I hope their home fixtures are released early and all in the summer. It would be a dereliction of duty to not give fans the time to plan and to not give them the opportunity to go. 

Once again play their ' loops ' first all in the UK , leaving just one trip each to Canada from late April 

5 hours ago, redjonn said:

Of course I would like any RL club to be successful and sustainable, including Toronto - I fancy the trip over myself. Never-the less it still feels an ad-hoc happening as distinct from some strategic thought through plan/pathway for the sport in the UK.

Is SL aiming to be a Anglo/French and NA league or is Toronto the one and only exception. Their are lots of questions that need to be addressed if the former and whilst I see lots of comments cheering Toronto acceptance I see no worthwhile discussion on the plan going forward and consequences.

I just mainly see comments deriding anyone whom may have questions or concerns.

Exactly my point John , they need to decide how this is going to ' pan out ' , just how many clubs from the UK and elsewhere can fit into ' SL ' ?

23 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Just play their first games in the UK and their home games in summer. It makes no sense that this isnt the chosen option

Gives the game a package to sell in the summer when sky have less content. It's a clear and simple solution

I'll not pass comment on that other than will the other clubs be happy to accept that ?

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Exactly my point John , they need to decide how this is going to ' pan out ' , just how many clubs from the UK and elsewhere can fit into ' SL ' ?

If there were for example two strong French clubs and three strong NA ones (not that NY or Ottawa exist yet and I don’t believe the Tolouse hype given their league One crowds) there could be a 16 team SL. Obv 30 games is too many but they could do inverse loop fixtures (I’ll trademark that now) where you only play a couple of teams once. 

10 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Cloned? ? 2 for 1cant be bad!

Cloning would certainly solve the problem of not enough good players to go round.

If the Wolfpack get promoted and the other eleven SL teams get an extra share of funding, they should be able to afford the flight and accommodation in Toronto. There is no way TWP should have to pay for it. #SLextortion.

They have tried this trick before with Gateshead. Anything to get rid of expansionist upstarts.

3 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Admitted with no central funding. TWP agreeing to that. Whats your problem?

As I clearly stated, no central funding should mean that the SL teams should be able to pay for the trip. That is my "problem".

• Love RL said this
  • "For too long the focus in rugby league has been off the pitch – and in some ways, that’s why people want Toronto to succeed.

They want the big cities and the hypothetical broadcast and commercial deals that will follow.

But it would be unfair to judge Toronto on that alone. They haven’t earned their place in Super League because they are a big city. They have earned it by winning rugby league games on the pitchand after all, that’s all it should be about." I enlarged the last bit as a reminder.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

22 hours ago, redjonn said:

Of course I would like any RL club to be successful and sustainable, including Toronto - I fancy the trip over myself. Never-the less it still feels an ad-hoc happening as distinct from some strategic thought through plan/pathway for the sport in the UK.

Is SL aiming to be a Anglo/French and NA league or is Toronto the one and only exception. Their are lots of questions that need to be addressed if the former and whilst I see lots of comments cheering Toronto acceptance I see no worthwhile discussion on the plan going forward and consequences.

I just mainly see comments deriding anyone whom may have questions or concerns.

The idea of Transatlantic expansion in which as Dave T says We have some really weak clubs in SL I see little risk in replacing  has set a number of people dreaming of RL spreading  across the Atlantic. They seem to have turned the dream into reality, and shout down and belittle those who do not see it themselves…..

The reality is TWP started with Eric Perez, going on the BBC to explain the expansion plan in 2016. Mr. Perez said he’d produce American RL players by converting grid iron players to RL and he would get us more TV money starting with a “reality” show on NATV about the conversions. TWP were to be the first of 5-6 NA clubs entering the game here because to get big American TV money you have to have big American content.

Be under no illusion, the plan was and remains a Transatlantic League

The players never came, nobody wants to play RL there, Union yes –that grows apace in NA & Canada. NATV money never came. TWP run up $$Millions of debts Argyle writes off. But the people you see on here insulting and denigrating me and others. don’t want to know that their dream is dead. I can understand that when the decision was made to allow TWP to go up. It looks like success.

But their promotion is by default. London have lost all their best players, TO have no money only a promise it would come if they got into SL, Featherstone would have to play part time. In short there is nobody capable of affording Superleague  This is why Superleague who don't want TWP and a Transatlantic league wanted to cut the Superleague to 10 a year ago but were voted down. TWP are only in because they can afford to take that 12th. spot,. SL bosses don’t want them hence arguments about promotion until the last very minute and reports that Argyle was swearing at the SL bosses.

The Transatlantic plan therefore stays on track but hangs by a thread with Perez set to organise Ottawa, Wilby to organise New York and Perez has said he’s currently advising Montreal and Vancouver. The idea remains once five NA clubs are in SL by 2026 will supposedly provide the content to get a TV deal but only if you believe North Americans will really buy into it. ....I don't do you?

Even if they do, without any NA players (nobody even the most rabid fantasist doesn’t predict any until after 2030) then the plan is these four more North American clubs will see the likes of Huddersfield, HKR, Salford and Wakefield leaving Superleague to make way and free up players to go the American clubs who are probably the "weak clubs" Dave T talks about. This will kill the game here, which is exactly why SL bosses wanted to kill TWP.....

But rather than discuss it, and have to admit the dream is dead and TWP are a charade, on go the “ignore” buttons, and out come the snide comments and insults…   Hope that explains it for you now watch the reactions......

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Would we expect the Toronto CEO to join the board of Super League, erm, Europe?

Thinking ahead...

Why don't we just change it to the Northern Hemisphere Super League. After all there was very little about European about SLE anyway.

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

Why don't we just change it to the Northern Hemisphere Super League. After all there was very little about European about SLE anyway.

Well it's currently all 12 teams are European , is that a good enough reason ?

Archived