Magic Weekend back to Newcastle?

I’d like to see a 4th game on each day to boost the attendance.

Day 1: Newcastle Thunder game and do a harder sell to the locals

Day 2: Two well supported teams from the championship such as Bradford and Halifax.

Stick an extra 5k on than usual and get some decent publicity. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

Should hold it in Toronto. If for no other reason than to see this forum explode ??

That might possibly work actually if promoted properly and held at a big stadium.

But that idea is for the future, let's see if they manage to get past Featherstone on Saturday first.

On 02/10/2019 at 20:34, Chris22 said:

https://www.totalrl.com/exclusive-newcastle-in-pole-position-for-magic-2020-as-super-league-clubs-vote-in-favour-of-return/

I hope this is true. Newcastle was a perfect venue for it!

All that could be improved is playing a Newcastle Thunder match at the weekend too!

They always have done, on the Friday night, very successful.

From reading the thread - i may be unpopular with what I say.

The 'original purpose' of  the Magic Weekend concept was to 'spread the game' to areas RL was not prominent, with a view to growing grassroots and strategic future pro RL teams - that's fact.

In it's guise its since lost it's original vision. 

Never sure on the reason to go to Liverpools Anfield - that baffled me for sure!

But to go 'back' to Newcastle is just a reaction from SL clubs as to 'where's the most popular venue our existing fan base enjoy' - thats the truth and fact.

I'd personally like this concept to go back to its original concept - and to have firm plans in place to grow great grass roots, and where the RFL/SL want the next SL side to come from.....IF they want Newcastle in SL in years to come - fine, but im not convinced that's the reason.

7 hours ago, The British Lion said:

The 'original purpose' of  the Magic Weekend concept was to 'spread the game' to areas RL was not prominent, with a view to growing grassroots and strategic future pro RL teams - that's fact.

While that may have been the point of it initially, I think it's become clear that it's now more of a celebration of the game by existing fans.

If you think about it, sitting through three games of an unfamiliar sport is not really the way to bring in new fans, especially when it's club teams that newcomers would feel no attachment to. I doubt many people here would go to an equivalent event for lacrosse or Gaelic Football for example.

As I see it, World Cups and other International games bring in new fans. Magic Weekend is a festival for the RL grassroots.

I've mentioned this before but I've brought people over from Ireland for World Cup games and the SL Grand Final. I've never managed to convince someone to go to Magic Weekend.

8 hours ago, The British Lion said:

Never sure on the reason to go to Liverpools Anfield - that baffled me for sure!

But to go 'back' to Newcastle is just a reaction from SL clubs as to 'where's the most popular venue our existing fan base enjoy' - thats the truth and fact.

I'd personally like this concept to go back to its original concept - and to have firm plans in place to grow great grass roots, and where the RFL/SL want the next SL side to come from.....IF they want Newcastle in SL in years to come - fine, but im not convinced that's the reason.

Originally, Magic started as Celtic Crusaders were the “fashionable” club that was going to save the world and be a huge success in Super League once they got there. The Friday night game in Bridgend was attended well and eventually, as we know, Celtic made it to Super League. 

You could still argue that Magic in Newcastle could be used as a tool to continue the growth of Thunder and the game as a whole in the North East as we approach 2021 when the North East holds Rugby League World Cup games. 

33 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Originally, Magic started as Celtic Crusaders were the “fashionable” club that was going to save the world and be a huge success in Super League once they got there. The Friday night game in Bridgend was attended well and eventually, as we know, Celtic made it to Super League. 

You could still argue that Magic in Newcastle could be used as a tool to continue the growth of Thunder and the game as a whole in the North East as we approach 2021 when the North East holds Rugby League World Cup games. 

Long before Crusaders came along we had things like the Charity Shield (held one year in Gateshead) and various on-the-road SL fixtures in potential development areas.

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Barnsley and Swansea, development areas?

They might have become if appropriate action followed, during the 90s there were some big crowds for Wales games in Seansea. I always thought it a better target than Bridgend.

13 hours ago, The British Lion said:

Yet Magic has helped to raise the profile of the gam in the NE immensely. The numbers playin at grass roots now is unbelievable compared to just a few years ago. For me it's doing its job!

4 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

I might be prepared to do a deal on my house in Durham for the weekend...

Although, on second thoughts, maybe not for the likes of you lot.

have you got room for caravans?? :kolobok_ph34r:

On 05/10/2019 at 08:52, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Absolutely.. its still helping to develop the game in the north east. it will do the thunder good to have it back there and as you say grow for the world cup launch there.. the fact it is very popular with fans is also a good things so, you know, more people go

3 minutes ago, RP London said:

have you got room for caravans?? :kolobok_ph34r:

Yep. The previous owners used to store theirs round the side. Although you'd need one of those fancy caravan steering devices. 

And a lot of prayer.

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

6 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

Yep. The previous owners used to store theirs round the side. Although you'd need one of those fancy caravan steering devices. 

And a lot of prayer.

Excellent i can think of at least one poster who will be happy to be back at St James' then as this seemed a sticking point

On 02/10/2019 at 19:34, Chris22 said:

https://www.totalrl.com/exclusive-newcastle-in-pole-position-for-magic-2020-as-super-league-clubs-vote-in-favour-of-return/

I hope this is true. Newcastle was a perfect venue for it!

All that could be improved is playing a Newcastle Thunder match at the weekend too!

Its just so my much further for me to go.... Can't we do a London stadium or at least Nottingham or Birmingham?.... I feel like my needs are just not cared about

Archived