Magic Weekend back to Newcastle?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

love it.. my phone has been going nuts for the last 5-10 minutes with one of my mates arranging the accommodation for a nice group of us (that always go, and some more additions this year again)... we we'rent 100% if we would repeat Anfield but as soon as its been announced the replies have been quick and positive to go! love the weekend!

2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Premier Inn Sunderland City Centre - Prices currently from £66 for those on a budget and don’t mind being outside of Newcastle. 

Thats a bit steep for Sunderland! must have put their prices up once it was announced.. :kolobok_ph34r:

10 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Premier Inn Sunderland City Centre - Prices currently from £66 for those on a budget and don’t mind being outside of Newcastle. 

Ah Sunderland city centre,the Mogadishu of the North.

On 03/10/2019 at 20:01, Futtocks said:

I certainly wouldn't want to close off any potential bids from other host cities, but Newcastle is great.

What I would like is to abolish the extra game and take a regular season game to a magic venue. Ensure that alternate years each team suffers the loss of home advantage. 

Maybe (?) take 2 rounds and have 2 magic weekends.  

33 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Premier Inn North Shields (Ferry Terminal) and Newcastle (Holystone) are only £89 for 2 nights and there both only 10 minute walks from Metro stations (Meadowell and Palmersville respectively) and both close to A19 and Tyne Tunnel ... also with the added benefit of not being in Sunderland ?

Haway, I think its a bit rich for people to be having a go at Sunderland. North of the river is pretty canny. 

I don't think many places in West Yorkshire and Lancashire are in any position to be superior. 

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

6 minutes ago, cookey said:

Try Whitley Bay.

We stayed in the Roker Riviera, South Shields and Whitley Bay the three years the Magic weekend was in Newcastle recently. Whitley Bay was the best. Lots of pubs and restaurants. Sunderland was OK but the last bus from town to Roker was about 1030pm. 

Just now, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It was voted for by the clubs, Eletone wanted to keep it at Anfield, shows what most Super League chairmen now think of him

He is in such a lofty position within SL, but those Chairmen don't seem to let him make a decision!

4 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Its just so my much further for me to go.... Can't we do a London stadium or at least Nottingham or Birmingham?.... I feel like my needs are just not cared about

I said earlier in the thread that 2 years in Newcastle then one elsewhere (i.e. Cardiff, Manchester, London or maybe further afield) would work well.

I agree that we have too few events in the south. I would wager that England vs France would be an easier sell in Bristol, Coventry or London than Leigh.

It's easier to sell internationals in London compared to a Cup Final at Wembley between two small northern towns that locals haven't heard of.

I'm disappointed we don't play more internationals in London, where our international crowds are the highest. It seems counterproductive! That's one of my few gripes with the RLWC 2021, only 1 London fixture.

Forget the idea of this event trying to get the locals interested in league, it is a festival where everyone has a superb time. I loved Cardiff and Edinburgh, wasn't impressed with Manc or liverpool, because to me it felt just like a normal away game. But overall Newcastle is my preferred choice. Plenty catavan parks you see! I'll see you all in Whitley bay, the drinks are on me!!!

11 minutes ago, Jack Russell said:

Forget the idea of this event trying to get the locals interested in league, it is a festival where everyone has a superb time. I loved Cardiff and Edinburgh, wasn't impressed with Manc or liverpool, because to me it felt just like a normal away game. But overall Newcastle is my preferred choice. Plenty catavan parks you see! I'll see you all in Whitley bay, the drinks are on me!!!

Why can't it be both of those things?

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Why can't it be both of those things?

It can of course. But I keep seeing people bemused by the magic idea not fulfilling the concept of spreading the word of the greatest game to the masses. Some think it should be abolished due to it not having the same goals as when it was first conceived. Me, I just think it's a great weekend away meeting like minded folk all up for a good time. I have pictures of me and my wigan counterparts having a laugh and dancing/singing together with a bunch of saints fans and warrington fans in bars in the toon. That is what it's all about for me.

I would like to see the stats for ticket sales for adult and Kids over the years for magic as I think Newcastle is used as a ###### up, hence why everyone is booking hotels.

I personally liked manchester due to all the events that went on around the ground for the kids to play on aswell as big screen and festival atmosphere. 

I felt newcastle lost that and the activities started to be confined to small car parks. To sell the tickets you need to open it out the Grassroots team to play games and have activities to play. 

• 3 weeks later...

Reading Newcastle Thunders 'Super League Champions by 2030' thread was interested to see the following statement:

'With the Dacia Magic Weekend returning to the city for two years from May 2020, and a total of five games in the men’s Rugby League World Cup taking place in the North East in 2021, the hosting of major events will form a talismanic cornerstone for the strategy.'

I'd never seen it said anywhere before that we've got the next 2 Magics, can't wait.

Archived