England Academy vs Wales Academy

http://www.rugby-league.com/article/55794/england-academy-squad-named-for-welsh-challenge

England’s Rugby League Academy selectors have named a 22-strong squad to play Wales in Llanelli on Saturday 19 October. 

The squad includes five players who took part in this year’s Grand Final between Wigan Warriors and St Helens – St Helens’ Lewis Baxter, Lewis Dodd and Jamie Pye, alongside Umyla Hanley and Harry Rushton from champions Wigan. Leeds Rhinos and Warrington Wolves each provide five players. 

Dave Elliott, the RFL’s National Programmes Manager, said: “Like the Academy Origin series in mid-season, internationals are a key part of our preparation for touring Australia next year and we’re very grateful to Wales for hosting this fixture.

“Many of the players already have international experience, while others are new to the performance squad environment. The pre-match preparation and the game itself will be a good experience for all of them.”  

England Academy squad to face Wales:

Danny Attley (Castleford Tigers)

Lewis Baxter (St Helens)

Joe Burton (Leeds Rhinos)

Lewis Dodd  (St Helens)

Alex Donaghy (Newcastle Thunder)

Jacob Dugdale (Widnes Vikings)

Jacob Gannon (Warrington Wolves)

Corey Hall (Leeds Rhinos)

Umyla Hanley (Wigan Warriors)

Ellis Longstaff (Warrington Wolves)

Aidan McGowan (Huddersfield Giants)

Isaac Nokes (Newcastle Thunder)

Jamie Pye (St Helens)

George Roby (Warrington Wolves)

Rian Rowley (Leeds Rhinos)

Harry Rushton (Wigan Warriors)

Harry Shackleton (Bradford Bulls)

Iwan Stephens (Leeds Rhinos)

Robson Stevens (Huddersfield Giants)

Josh Thewlis (Warrington Wolves)

Liam Tindall (Leeds Rhinos)

Connor Wrench (Warrington Wolves)

Some very good talent in there.

1. Thewlis

2. Tindall

3. Burton

4. Hall

5. Stephens

6. Hanley

7. Dodd

From the lads i know about, Thats a very good set of backs, im not saying this is what it should be, im not familiar with some of the lads, if theyr better players than the ones iv mentioned, even better. Hanleys normally a Fullback, but think his running game would complement Dodds game very well in the Halfs.

I don't know about the rest of you but I can't tell you how pleased I am that Umyla Hanley is in our game as I am sure his development (and pedigree) will have been tracked by a sport that could perhaps earn him more cash.

If he turns out as good as his potential has shown over the last few years he will be a superstar.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 lads in from the Thunder academy after the academy's best season so far results wise, everything just seems to be progressing nicely up here in the North East right now and long may in continue ... just need that win on Sunday to cap it all off.

Hope Alex and Isaac both make the match day 17, they were both there helping out on the Thunder residential training camp my eldest went on this summer and he says they were both really helpfull. Alex was also the best ref I saw this season watching u14s rugby in the North East. 

Does anyone know if we will we be able to see this game via Our League?

Really keen to see this squad in action.  After the success of the English Academy at the end of 2018 and from what I hear about the talent coming through, could this be the first Academy squad to go to Australia in 2020 and beat the Aussie Schoolboys away from home.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, Emosi Koloto said:

The 3 Saints players are due to tour Australia with St Helens youth squad at the same time, the tour has been 2 years in the planning so I hope they still go ahead. 

Those Saints tours are a real investment and a great initiative. If Saints stay at the top of Super League for the next few years they will deserve it for this type of forward thinking.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Now live on Our League

OurLeague yes, Twitch no. However, the OurLeague stream is behaving itself for me this time.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

OurLeague yes, Twitch no. However, the OurLeague stream is behaving itself for me this time.

Having said that, either the audio is lagging badly or the commentator is.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, DoubleD said:

Yes it’s rather annoying that

Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence about the delivery of tomorrow's PPV match against Jamaica, does it?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

The game has got a bit fractious in the last 20, with England dominant 52-0 up.

There are a number of players in this Wales side that beat England u16's a couple of years ago. What has happened to these players and their respective development? I thought about a dozen got signed to SL academies. Sad to see it being so uncompetitive

7 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

The game has got a bit fractious in the last 20, with England dominant 52-0 up.

There are a number of players in this Wales side that beat England u16's a couple of years ago. What has happened to these players and their respective development? I thought about a dozen got signed to SL academies. Sad to see it being so uncompetitive

Bit of indiscipline, bit of feeling sorry for themselves but quite a lot of disorganisation in the Wales team.

England played a pretty straight forward game plan, so it was just the intensity and directness that Wales had to contend with.  They didn’t.

Impressed with Roby.

5 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Bit of indiscipline, bit of feeling sorry for themselves but quite a lot of disorganisation in the Wales team.

England played a pretty straight forward game plan, so it was just the intensity and directness that Wales had to contend with.  They didn’t.

Impressed with Roby.

Yeah Roby looked the standout to me too

My favourite try was probably Liam Tindall's in the 75th minute - purely because of the step under pressure and lovely weighted cross-field kick from prop Harry Rushton! Halves would be proud of that.

The Warrington lads are outstanding talents. Roby and Wrench ripped it up and it's a shame Thewlis got injured because he's quality too.

15 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Maybe it’s my location and the iPad, but I’m following the link to my OL app and just can’t find the link to pay for the game tomorrow.

Where are you atm? I do believe the game tomorrow has some geographical restrictions (unsure why)

7 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

My favourite try was probably Liam Tindall's in the 75th minute - purely because of the step under pressure and lovely weighted cross-field kick from prop Harry Rushton! Halves would be proud of that.

The Warrington lads are outstanding talents. Roby and Wrench ripped it up and it's a shame Thewlis got injured because he's quality too.

Yeah Warrington have some real talent coming through their academy, most are only 17 as well

Archived