Brian McDermott calls for extra salary cap and quota spots for non-heartland clubs

I mean, I'm not from the heartlands, but it seems to me that the only thing worse than a league of 8 bald men and 4 with thinning hair fighting over a comb would be a league where 4 men with thinning hair have gone for Rooney style hair renewal treatment and the other 8 bald men are still fighting over the comb...

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Its sad...no wonder you folks are in such trouble over there...the blind following the blind....let me guess...when it all falls apart it will be someone elses fault.  So predictable.

Now lets get serious for a sec.   RL needs to get its act together if it wants to survive and expand.....such an unwelcoming, hostile environment for growth....doomsday predictors and Naysayers everywhere....really sad....pathetic actually...just pitiful.  Some RL folks have simply hit rock bottom and their misery loves company.

But there is HOPE!....TWP is coming to save you all in RL!  Along with progressive sides like York and Ottawa we will win in the end.

Step aside and let the Canadians lead and you can then follow them (like what happened in both of the World Wars when we came over to save you yet again).

You know what they say K'man, those who are smug on their way up, deservedly suffer on their way back down, can't wait to give it back, but expect you won't be hanging around to long when that happens, maybe even this time next year, Brian Mc already knows the score that is why he is beating even before you have got there he knows the Wolfpack as they stand are nowhere near strong enough that tells me you ain't got much room left on the cap with the contracts already in place.

To be fair to him i do seem to remember him saying similar when at London due to London weighting for living and the difficulty of attracting people to move away from the north where they had family etc.. so its not like he is only just saying it.. however, it would have been nice for him to bang the drum while at leeds.. 

As people have said it really should be one rule for everyone.. but as its not, at all, maybe this is a discussion to be had.

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Problem is with such a large increase not many clubs will be able to reach that level. I think of all the clubs spending the full current SC limit only Saints & Wire are able to turn a profit. Even a club like Wigan have made public their large losses.

Wigan night then be able to offer longer contracts and then get decent transfer fees when their players leave for the NRL though. 

34 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Step aside and let the Canadians lead and you can then follow them (like what happened in both of the World Wars when we came over to save you yet again).

I love the "we"?

that would be the WW1 Canadian army where the first contingent sent was 70% British born, and they'd just scraped a contingent of 51% Canada born by 1918 - and over the whole war most Canadian soldiers were British born would it?*

In the immortal words of the chant at AFC Wimbledon v MK Dons matches, "where were you when you were us?"

*actually I suppose that's appropriate for the Wolfpack...

1 hour ago, Magic XIII said:

It isn't really a one size fits all thing, as some clubs don't pay out the salary cap ….. for Toronto, an increased salary cap and ability to recruit the best players is a driver, whereas for a London, I would argue their priority would be 'hands off' rules for their academy products and ability to pay them outside the cap and some recognition of London weighting.

You've hit the nail on the head, London are growing players, Toronto should do the same, spend the extra cash they can generate and form a 8 to 12 team local league, drive the standard up by forking out to convert the better athletes to rugby league.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

3 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

I love the "we"?

that would be the WW1 Canadian army where the first contingent sent was 70% British born, and they'd just scraped a contingent of 51% Canada born by 1918 - and over the whole war most Canadian soldiers were British born would it?*

In the immortal words of the chant at AFC Wimbledon v MK Dons matches, "where were you when you were us?"

*actually I suppose that's appropriate for the Wolfpack...

Not too appreciative now are ya?  Next thing you will be saying the Aussies and New Zealanders are British too.

He clearly points it out that the SL doesn't seem to want Toronto but I suspect it because they are scared that their own massive  inadequacies will be exposed.

We're basically paying to play in a poorly run league and raise it's profile and help the sport but we're villainized for having cash and trying to use it for the benefit of all not just ourselves.

like I've said before Argyle will put SL in a tough spot come TV negotiation time and demand equal status and they will have to take it.

The M60-boohoo is going mainstream folks...deal with it! You're not a hick village road anymore once were in so maybe go on a major trip outside your comfort zone...like across the road. come out of the dark ages.

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

Not too appreciative now are ya?  Next thing you will be saying the Aussies and New Zealanders are British too.

No I recognise the difference between the countries. Australia had a Prime Minister who thought of himself primarily as British until 1966!

Incidentally, it's probably down to fashions in emigration, but Australia managed an army 70% Australian born by 1918.

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You know what they say K'man, those who are smug on their way up, deservedly suffer on their way back down, can't wait to give it back, but expect you won't be hanging around to long when that happens, maybe even this time next year, Brian Mc already knows the score that is why he is beating even before you have got there he knows the Wolfpack as they stand are nowhere near strong enough that tells me you ain't got much room left on the cap with the contracts already in place.

HARRY!!!!!   STEP AWAY FROM THE TABLE WITH THE OPEN SOLVENTS IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!

If you are still light headed and continue having visions of paranoia in 10 minutes, seek immediate medical attention.  

2 minutes ago, Marauder said:

You've hit the nail on the head, London are growing players, Toronto should do the same, spend the extra cash they can generate and form a 8 to 12 team local league, drive the standard up by forking out to convert the better athletes to rugby league.

isn't London just now generating a ton of players? how long have they been a club in a country where league was actually a known sport?

1 minute ago, Krzzystuff said:

isn't London just now generating a ton of players? how long have they been a club in a country where league was actually a known sport?

In fairness, London's another country to anyone outside the M25 - vs the M62 it might as well be on the moon.

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

we're in year three going on four...weren't we supposed to die in year one, and then two and then three? You going to look back at your 100% record of failing to predict our failure anytime? Come over and see what's its all about.

2 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

No I recognise the difference between the countries. Australia had a Prime Minister who thought of himself primarily as British until 1966!

Incidentally, it's probably down to fashions in emigration, but Australia managed an army 70% Australian born by 1918.

But they were still placed under that vaunted British Command at Gallipoli! since what would the colonials know about modern military tactics?....and we all know how that turned out.  Ohh..... you are a bright light alright iffleyox.

4 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

In fairness, London's another country to anyone outside the M25 - vs the M62 it might as well be on the moon.

You must be referring to London, Ontario, CANADA.  Last I looked London, England was actually in London, England.   

The school system must be really suffering over there.

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

But they were still placed under that vaunted British Command at Gallipoli! since what would the colonials know about modern military tactics?....and we all know how that turned out.  Ohh..... you are a bright light alright iffleyox.

the Canadians invented some pretty good tactics by 1917, no one's going to argue differently. In 1915 not so much. Best "British" general of WW1 is probably an Australian fwiw. Gallipoli's a funny one because Australia took 8,709 killed there and it's part of their birth of a nation myth. Britain lost 34,072 there and it's barely remembered. The Somme dominates everything, even though Passchendaele was by all accounts the worst place to be. 

Anyway.... back to the rugby.... apologies to the mods for the wander off into history.

25 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

Taking the cap as it was set in 1999 and accounting for inflation, that would put it at just over £3m today. I think that's a reasonable position to be in. We shouldn't be subsidising poorly run clubs / owners by imposing pay cuts on the playing talent. 

Exactly right imo and 10% weighting for London nowhere near covers it.  

SL is far to narrow minded and that will be difficult to ever change now it’s controlled by the club owners.  Quite possible they will change the rules dependant on circumstance and on a whim.

32 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

London failed for so long because they shipped players in, they've started to benefit from the amateurs starting junior teams that has players feeding into an academy - If you read my post it says invest in a 8 to 12 team league etc, by pass the long cold nights and use the extra money to build a future for rugby league and Toronto in Canada.

56 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Spend the coin on development instead of trying to win everything with a massive financial advantage.

1 hour ago, iffleyox said:

the Canadians invented some pretty good tactics by 1917, no one's going to argue differently. In 1915 not so much. Best "British" general of WW1 is probably an Australian fwiw. Gallipoli's a funny one because Australia took 8,709 killed there and it's part of their birth of a nation myth. Britain lost 34,072 there and it's barely remembered. The Somme dominates everything, even though Passchendaele was by all accounts the worst place to be. 

Anyway.... back to the rugby.... apologies to the mods for the wander off into history.

HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!  The best general of WW1 (on any side) was Arthur Currie the Canadian...any other statement is not accurate.

By the way, an Australian General Officer or a Canadian General Officer are not British Generals....like come on, get real.

The paternalism is striking.

36 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think McDermott raises a lot of very valid points, particularly regarding London and an extra London salary cap allowance. I'd imagine Toronto would fall under that bracket too with the extra costs of living there.

I'm sure they live in England or just travel far to train.

1 hour ago, iffleyox said:

Churchill was good at getting commonwealth troops killed closely followed by anyone born on an council estate.

Archived