Uzbekistan - any of you been there?

Next week I'm off for a fortnight's travel around Uzbekistan,  doing the Silk Road and going to Tashkent,  Samarqand, Bukhara and Khiva. I have the guidebooks to... er... guide me, but I was wondering if any forum members have been and have any recommendations. Places, food, etc etc

Ta

8 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Next week I'm off for a fortnight's travel around Uzbekistan,  doing the Silk Road and going to Tashkent,  Samarqand, Bukhara and Khiva. I have the guidebooks to... er... guide me, but I was wondering if any forum members have been and have any recommendations. Places, food, etc etc

Ta

I've never been but I'm super excited for you and maybe a tad jealous! Hope you have a brilliant time and like John m said I look forward to the resulting photos,you could be this forums Paul Theroux 

8 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Ta

Given your history, if there isn’t at least an Uzbek 9s team by the time you leave then I will be very disappointed.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Not been but would like to, one day.

As others have already said, please report back!! 

Also, shove a copy of Rugby League World in your bag and take a pic with it in front of something exotic. We'd definitely publish it!! ?

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Also, shove a copy of Rugby League World in your bag and take a pic with it in front of something exotic. We'd definitely publish it!! ?

Is that a thing now? I’ll start taking a copy when I travel if it is.

2 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Is that a thing now? I’ll start taking a copy when I travel if it is.

It's always been a thing in RLW, well, since at least 2010 when I first edited it and appropriated the idea from other mags that did it first. ?

We've had some good 'uns over the years. Everest Base Camp was a highlight. Not sure why we didn't get sent one from the Summit n'all though.

Get snapping!! 

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

good idea, will get the mrs to do just that at maspalomas nude beach next time we go although we may need to take a few copies with us

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

It's always been a thing in RLW, well, since at least 2010 when I first edited it and appropriated the idea from other mags that did it first. ?

We've had some good 'uns over the years. Everest Base Camp was a highlight. Not sure why we didn't get sent one from the Summit n'all though.

Get snapping!! 

It must be a while since Shadow bought one.

On 04/10/2019 at 00:15, Number 16 said:

Ta

I'm jealous. It's one part of the world I would love to see. The Silk Road just sounds so romantic, why did we never study stuff like that at school?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

On 03/10/2019 at 22:15, Number 16 said:

Ta

Don't know where he is now, but maybe this famous cyclist can help you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djamolidine_Abdoujaparov

Archived