"Rugby League needs to look at it's future"

24 minutes ago, gittinsfan said:

I will probably get jumped on for this but

The game of Rugby League is about more than a handful of SL chairmen sat intheir ivory towers.

I'm sick of reading that the game needs a strong SL for the game to grow.

The more money SL gets the more they will want.If SL do manage to grow(and I doubt if it will)they will allow nothing to filter down to the lower levels of the game.

Basically they don't give a damn about the lower tiers.

Should lower league clubs be, seemingly, so reliant on hand outs from the top of the game? 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Should lower league clubs be, seemingly, so reliant on hand outs from the top of the game? 

But,as has been proved before,the SL share of Sky money is just as much of a handout as is the championship's share.

9 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Probably not but should  Superleague clubs be so reliant on the handouts from Sky ?

8 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

It may be more complicated than I am suggesting, but the National (Australian?) Rugby League Commission ... the overall governing body ... has 18 shareholders, 16 of them are the NRL teams.

So in Australia the major full time teams are running the whole game. We have got song way to do that here, although frankly we should do something similar.

ARLC. The other two are the NSWRL & the QRL. 

5 hours ago, Big Picture said:

However it does not happen in North America, where a very different operating model has made pro sports franchises a profitable investment for their owners which in turn has produced steady increases in the value of those franchises.

That's the key word, investment, why have licences / franchises if those that get gifted them haven't paid for them It's pointless just issuing licences, they need to be sold. None of the Clubs could afford the kind of licence cost / investment needed. To do it like MLS for example, the 1st batch of say 12 or 14 licences would be cheapest, then future buy ins would be set incrementally higher. 

There’s a load of clubs, some Super League, who have no Academy. Yeah, I know they’re being forced into a reserve team but that’s not a solution here. There’s clubs out there without any pathway from the amateur game who are getting funding while teams who provide countless players like Siddal, Thatto Heath and Wigan St Pats get next to nothing. 

3 hours ago, Damien said:

I completely agree about the quality not being great as I said.

I certainly don't think such a low salary cap helps in this regard, which is where I suspect we differ in views. Not does it help that some teams can't even spend that low amount.

But what are they going to do with a higher cap other than give the same players a pay rise, 12 is about the best we can muster in the number of teams in SL,  we are agreed that the quality is not good, tell me then, how is it going to be improved and before you say player's wont go to Aus, I honestly don't think they go just for the extra money, there is the thing called 'testing yourself' these guy's who go want to experience that.

Now then I know you are an advocate of what is going on across the Atlantic, but this thing about the pool of player's available, supposing as well as TWP they let in say just another two clubs, totally incapable of producing player's, please explain to me how that will help the British game, I have posed this question many times and no one has yet come up with anything like a logical answer or solution.

McDermott makes a great point for McDermott with wanting a higher SC for Toronto, he wants to be able to offer players more to play for his team than his competition are allowed to pay, and for what inconvenience, they live at home most of the year, living in Leigh and knowing a lot of the guy's who were employed by the Wolfpack, I used to see them with great regularity, don't listen to K'man he still believes in the tooth fairy.

Archived