NHS gowns

I have had two trips to hospostal in the last week or so. On the first occasion I was gowned up in the traditional tie at the back gown. This week I was issued with disposable paper pyjamas with strategic Velcro rip off patches. There were access points all over the garments  allowing my modesty to be preserved whilst letting the surgeon get at my bits. I was told that they were new. They were much better than the old gowns.

Has anyone else encountered them?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

10 minutes ago, silverback said:

love the paper grundies.whats with all this new fangled walking yerself to op table stuff thou.supposed to get you there feeling calm.

When they try getting us to walk away from the op table, then I'll start worrying.☺

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

33 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Local Anaesthetics mean you can walk away after op.

A local? For a hip replacement? Hey, I'm not averse to a bit of pain, but I'd want more than linocaine for a hip op.

23 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

A local? For a hip replacement? Hey, I'm not averse to a bit of pain, but I'd want more than linocaine for a hip op.

Old folk these days... when I was young, the old folk I knew would pass off a dodgy hip as a war wound to scrounge free drinks in the pub therefore not need anaesthetic. ?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just now, ckn said:

Old folk these days... when I was young, the old folk I knew would pass off a dodgy hip as a war wound to scrounge free drinks in the pub therefore not need anaesthetic. ?

If you're offering, mine's a pint of bitter.

(Yes, I know I'm already bitter enough!)

14 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

Before you have hip replacement surgery, you may be able to choose the type of anaesthetic you're given.

There are two options:

• general anaesthetic – where you're asleep during the operation
  • a spinal or epidural anaesthesia – where an injection is given into your spine that numbs the lower half of your body. This is often combined with sedation so you won't be aware of your surroundings and have no memory of the surgery

Your surgeon may sometimes recommend an epidural as this has less chance of causing complications in people with an underlying health condition.

7 hours ago, JohnM said:

Before you have hip replacement surgery, you may be able to choose the type of anaesthetic you're given.

There are two options:

• a spinal or epidural anaesthesia – where an injection is given into your spine that numbs the lower half of your body. This is often combined with sedation so you won't be aware of your surroundings and have no memory of the surgery

Your surgeon may sometimes recommend an epidural as this has less chance of causing complications in people with an underlying health condition.

Spinal or Epidural anaesthesia does not mean you can walk for about 3-4 hours after as your legs are numbed.

7 hours ago, JohnM said:

There are two options:

BTW if your surgeon suggests which kind of anaesthetic, ignore him, and ask to speak to an anaesthetist, and he/she will recommend the type of anaesthetic, surgeons won't have a clue. (I speak from 30 years experience working in Theatres).

Some surgery can also be performed using a regional block, where areas of the body, usually limbs, are given local anaesthetic straight into the nerves, and result in numbness for a couple of hours. I have also witnessed brain surgery performed under local, as the brain itself has no pain sensory nerves, so once the skin is numb, operations can be performed while the patient is talking, sometimes in sensitive areas of the brain this is an important diagnostic tool.

John and Bleep.

I've now had two hip ops, both done at Heraklion University Hospital but by different surgeons. The first, ten years ago, was an AMIS (Anterior Minimal Invasive Surgery) done under epidural. The second was a standard op done under general. The first was interesting as I was conscious and talking to the anaesthetist throughout and, although I was aware of the surgeon sawing through my thigh bone, I felt no actual pain at all.

I don't think there was any difference between the procedures and the end results, but AMIS is too expensive for Heraklion to offer, hence the second one being done as a standard hip op.

1 minute ago, tonyXIII said:

John and Bleep.

I've now had two hip ops, both done at Heraklion University Hospital but by different surgeons. The first, ten years ago, was an AMIS (Anterior Minimal Invasive Surgery) done under epidural. The second was a standard op done under general. The first was interesting as I was conscious and talking to the anaesthetist throughout and, although I was aware of the surgeon sawing through my thigh bone, I felt no actual pain at all.

I don't think there was any difference between the procedures and the end results, but AMIS is too expensive for Heraklion to offer, hence the second one being done as a standard hip op.

I had the local for my knee operation years ago where they had to do quite a bit of reconstruction. Never again. I just don't like losing control and it was driving anxiety to a point that the anaesthatist had to up the sedation a bit higher.

I felt nothing except for my body moving occasionally as I was being pulled about.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• 2 weeks later...

At 38 I've had a vasectomy. I'm now rocking yfronts for life. Boxer shorts are lame!

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

17 hours ago, 9' oller said:

At 38 I've had a vasectomy. I'm now rocking yfronts for life. Boxer shorts are lame!

I wandered into that clinic. What a mistake, I thought they said spectacles.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Archived