flawed system

tms

BRIAN McDermott believes Toronto missing out on Super League again will be a disaster and show how the system is ‘flawed.’

He said: “I think it’s a flawed system. If Featherstone win, it’s the fifth best team getting in because that’s how the system works.

It would be the fifth best team in the Championship that’s going to be in Super League next year. How’s that good? If anything, that’s dangerous.”

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, POR said:

BRIAN McDermott believes Toronto missing out on Super League again will be a disaster and show how the system is ‘flawed.’

He said: “I think it’s a flawed system. If Featherstone win, it’s the fifth best team getting in because that’s how the system works.

It would be the fifth best team in the Championship that’s going to be in Super League next year. How’s that good? If anything, that’s dangerous.”

But that's how the system works. Leeds won the Super league grand final in 2011 & 2012 from 5th place while he was in charge. 

17 minutes ago, Rage said:

But that's how the system works. Leeds won the Super league grand final in 2011 & 2012 from 5th place while he was in charge. 

I’m sure he said at the time it was wrong , a totally flawed system and they should hand back the trophy ... or maybe I dreamt that 

More silly stuff, first past the post just like it was in sepia photographs and cigarette adverts that made it look cool to smoke. Pass the Brylcream and Cherry Blossom shoe polish petal !

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

At the start of the season , every club knew that to get promotion to Super Greed they had to finish in the top five. There was no mention as to how many wins or losses would be involved or by how many more points the team finishing top could have over the team finishing fifth. Who's to say if automatic promotion had been in place whether results of regular league games might have been different? TWP may have won ALL their games but they may have also lost more. It's a ridiculous argument as we all knew that promotion would be decided by a Grand Final, including Brian Mcdermott

!

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

Whether you agree with him or not, what he is discussing is a different situation with different consequences to a team winning Super League from 5th.

A team winning Super League from 5th has the consequence of them being champions. A team winning the Championship from 5th has the consequence of that team then competing in the league above.

I am not saying I support his conclusion or not, I am merely pointing out he is not being hypocritical to discuss the Championship play off's as they are different to Super League when discussing outcomes and consequences. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Whether you agree with him or not, what he is discussing is a different situation with different consequences to a team winning Super League from 5th.

A team winning Super League from 5th has the consequence of them being champions. A team winning the Championship from 5th has the consequence of that team then competing in the league above.

I am not saying I support his conclusion or not, I am merely pointing out he is not being hypocritical to discuss the Championship play off's as they are different to Super League when discussing outcomes and consequences. 

A team winning Super League from 5th are classed as champions, as are the team from the Championship who win the Play-off Final from 5th. 

Just now, Dunbar said:

I am not saying I support his conclusion or not, I am merely pointing out he is not being hypocritical to discuss the Championship play off's as they are different to Super League when discussing outcomes and 

Of course it's the same. He was happy to become SL Champion from 5ht place, but now it doesn't suit him in the Championship he is moaning. This is the problem, the likes of him who has always been in SL want everything to go their way. Fans of Lower League Clubs must think what a cry baby, because I do. If his team win tonight, good luck to them next season.

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

A team winning Super League from 5th are classed as champions, as are the team from the Championship who win the Play-off Final from 5th. 

Yes, I know.

And the team winning the Super League from 5th play in Super League again next year while the team winning the Championship from 5th play in the league above the following year which is stronger. As I say, different consequences. 

To be clear, I am not supporting McDermott's argument just pointing out they are different and so cannot be compared like for like.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Gooleboy said:

Of course it's the same. He was happy to become SL Champion from 5ht place, but now it doesn't suit him in the Championship he is moaning. This is the problem, the likes of him who has always been in SL want everything to go their way. Fans of Lower League Clubs must think what a cry baby, because I do. If his team win tonight, good luck to them next season.

They are not the same because they have different outcomes. Just saying they are the same doesn't make them the same.

Just now, Damien said:

Which part of, he was probably asked a question and answered it, so difficult to understand?

Well he should win tonight so no harm done, but it sounds like he is making excuses before the game.  As I said, he knew rules at the outset, as we did at Featherstone, finished top three years running, but no promotion.

2 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

We all know the format we have in Rugby League and while the best team doesn’t always win, isn’t that part of the charm of sport? 

For me that's a philosophy for one off matches.

Surely when it comes to promotion and playing at a higher level it should be the best and most capable team?

24 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

aWhether you agree with him or not, what he is discussing is a different situation with different consequences to a team winning Super League from 5th.

I also consider that there is a difference, as is outlined in the final paragraph.

Super League refer to the need for their league to have quality sustainable teams, whether in a 12-team league, 14-team league, or any other format. With that in mind, you would expect absorbing the top team in the league to be the most desirable option, particularly where there is a significant difference in standard amongst the leading teams.

Over time, a stronger championship could negate the effects of the current system, and to be fair the Championship has become a more competitive and entertaining league over recent years.

As for tonight, I'd like to see a Toronto win, to see the effects of their involvement on RL generally. If Featherstone win, then their place in Super League would be fully deserved, and it would give a boost to many of those traditional teams who have been struggling along for years.

I hope the game's a corker for a large TV audience.

Archived