Genuine Question

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

I hope Rugby League Cares can do something for those people who will take Toronto's promotion particularly badly. 

After seeing the ###### you post on another well subscribed topic in any other buisness, it is a much bigger mental health organisation you require.

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

If anything, tonight has shown that this insistence that reserves are the best way to develop players is, at best, a folly. 

McClelland, Sutcliffe and Golding will have learnt more tonight than they would have learnt in an entire season of reserve-grade rugby. 

No disrespect Micheal how old are you, put it another way have you ever experienced 'A' team rugby league?

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

No disrespect Micheal how old are you, put it another way have you ever experienced 'A' team rugby league?

33, for what difference it makes. 

Find me a reserve-grade game which can match the intensity and pressure that those players experienced tonight and over the past three weeks. 

Let me be clear - I believe reserve grade has merit and value, but the hysteria that we have seen from certain clubs about how we don't have it and have dual registration instead has been ridiculous. I'll say it again - tonight was a better education for those players than a season of reserve grade. 

5 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

33, for what difference it makes. 

Find me a reserve-grade game which can match the intensity and pressure that those players experienced tonight and over the past three weeks. 

Let me be clear - I believe reserve grade has merit and value, but the hysteria that we have seen from certain clubs about how we don't have it and have dual registration instead has been ridiculous. I'll say it again - tonight was a better education for those players than a season of reserve grade. 

From expierence, I would say if those guy 's you mention had the benefit of playing reserve grade prior to making this step up, they would have been much better prepared, their skills would have been honed sharper, and they would have been far far more battle hardened.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No answer yet Damien, do I take it you don't know the answer?

PS not surprising you know the number, if that really is it. 

You seem to spend an awful lot of time demanding answers from people. Awfully pompous don't you think? Try the helpline Harry, they may genuinely be able to help. I know a night like tonight is hard for those stuck in the past like yourself.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

You seem to spend an awful lot of time demanding answers from people. Awfully pompous don't you think? Try the helpline Harry, they may genuinely be able to help. I know a night like tonight is hard for those stuck in the past like yourself.

What's the answer Damien, you have made insinuations all the time and you have not a clue, go on proove to yourself that you are not all phiss and wind.

45 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So witch clubs would you think they could entice into the pack.

I actually find this concept really interesting and it works well in Australia. Rather than actual reserve sides, NRL clubs have link ups with other clubs from the state leagues. For example, Burleigh Bears, who play in Queensland’s Intrust Super Cup and will play in today’s state championship final (a curtain raiser to the NRL GF) are tied with the Gold Coast Titans, who call up players from the Bears when needed for the first team, or drop them back into the Bears team depending on form etc. 

Im not exactly sure how it all works in terms of player contracts/payments but it’s something we could explore in the English game.

Perhaps League 1 clubs (or a completely separate competition) could act as feeder clubs for the SL teams. It would lift the standard in that lower competition and help to bring players through

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I don't know the answer:-

SL have said that for all member clubs from 2019 it is complulsory to have a reserve team, is that still the case or have the rules been changed? 

Obviously I am asking that if Toronto gain promotion tonight, will they be held to that decision or given dispensation, does anybody know the answer, has it been mentioned elsewhere?

To be fair, they've surrendered Central distribution of funding, so they should be given dispensation to not enter into reserves fixtures. 

3 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

To be fair, they've surrendered Central distribution of funding, so they should be given dispensation to not enter into reserves fixtures. 

Thanks for the answer Smudger, but again it is an opinion isn't it? and not conclusive as an amendment to the published statement that All SL clubs will operate reserve teams in 2020. 

This is where the authorities are a complete waste of time, when they said Toronto will be accepted to SL in 2020 if they are successful in the MPG they should have added any consessions or otherwise they will be subject to in that season, now it is wait and see what the decisions are that will be taken.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Really are you certain of that Rob? 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Another poster suggested the same, I asked was he sure, please guide me to where that has officially been stated, or is it your interpretation?

It's been mentioned loads of times both by the press and Toronto themselves, including the stories regarding the 500k the RFL were asking for to enter the challenge cup. Same goes for Toulouse and Catalans although they take central funding. If they were full members, the challenge cup would be mandatory.

Regarding the reserves, from what I remember the specific wording was that it is mandatory for all teams running a cat 1 academy, which Toronto do not.

27 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

I actually find this concept really interesting and it works well in Australia. Rather than actual reserve sides, NRL clubs have link ups with other clubs from the state leagues. For example, Burleigh Bears, who play in Queensland’s Intrust Super Cup and will play in today’s state championship final (a curtain raiser to the NRL GF) are tied with the Gold Coast Titans, who call up players from the Bears when needed for the first team, or drop them back into the Bears team depending on form etc. 

Im not exactly sure how it all works in terms of player contracts/payments but it’s something we could explore in the English game.

Perhaps League 1 clubs (or a completely separate competition) could act as feeder clubs for the SL teams. It would lift the standard in that lower competition and help to bring players through

Agreed re. the Australian model, but Championship and L1clubs do not want to be linked to separate strong viable supportive clubs... they want to be part of a flimsy pyramid.

Meantime can  RL survive anyone other than TWP getting relegated next season?

Archived