Toronto hate

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, Montreal has been mooted but I’m just floating it as a possibility.

Summer rugby league in Florida?  

Would it be safe even for our incredible athletes?

Yeah Toronto could play their early season games in Florida and the Florida teams could play their mid season games in Toronto. Everyone’s a winner. 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not like Toronto for several reasons: The first is that this team is not a Canadian team. She has no history and does not correspond at all to the idea I have of a sports competition. I am French but I do not forget where the indentity of our sport comes from. If commercial franchises are the future of our discipline and well I think that I may be changing favorite sport.

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

2 minutes ago, fcl said:

I do not like Toronto for several reasons: The first is that this team is not a Canadian team. She has no history and does not correspond at all to the idea I have of a sports competition. I am French but I do not forget where the indentity of our sport comes from. If commercial franchises are the future of our discipline and well I think that I may be changing favorite sport.

I take it your not a fan of Melbourne Storm or Catalans or any Soccer club in any country then?

2 minutes ago, fcl said:

All teams have to start somewhere.

Professional soccer was mainly born out of north west England, but many of the players for those early teams like Blackburn Olympic were Scottish.

I think Toronto are making the right noises about development which will obviously take time.

For me the international game is where the true path to expansion lay.

I don’t see Toronto in Super League as saviours but false messiahs.

As the novelty wears off, people will see what I mean. 

That said, an MLS-style franchised ‘American Rugby League’ with Toronto, Ottawa and New York et al could work if the investors are there and they could get a TV deal.

A World Club Championship between ‘ARL’, SL and NRL clubs could be great.

The Catalan Dragons have a history and have the best rugby league school in the country. 

3 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

I take it your not a fan of Melbourne Storm or Catalans or any Soccer club in any country then?

lans has 

9 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

For me the international game is where the true path to expansion lay.

I don’t see Toronto in Super League as saviours but false messiahs.

As the novelty wears off, people will see what I mean. 

That said, an MLS-style franchised ‘American Rugby League’ with Toronto, Ottawa and New York et al could work if the investors are there and they could get a TV deal.

If Toronto can shine a spotlight on the sport then that will only increase interest in the international game from broadcasters as it is the elite level.

Ultimately international rugby league is crying out for a bigger talent pool in the Northern Hemisphere.  If Toronto can help with building the story of the game then all power to them.

After all is there any other sport with a transatlantic professional top flight league?

1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

Why do some people hate Toronto so much? I don’t get it, this could be a huge step in growing the game, isn’t that what we all want? 

For me it's not Toronto or the real Canadian fans but comments from some UK based "supporters" here people object to.

Their comments about the North are inappropriate and the same as the ones used to insult us by Union fans. 

33 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Brian McDermott just said on TV that Super League can’t grow if it continues to be competed for by Northern towns and not big cities like Toronto, so clearly they see themselves as saviours! 

No he doesn't only you and your fellow legion of doom refer to them as that.

1 minute ago, fcl said:

Our sport was born out of people, regardless of where they live or their social heritage, getting fairly paid to pay rugby without any sort of discrimination. I am not aware of Toronto doing anything different to that. They have built a club out of absoutely nothing and have reached super leagues in just 3 years. To me they emiponise the whole pioneering spirit of what created Rugby League.

Just now, Plan of Attack said:

Because they should have been placed in SL straight away not allowed to rampage through champ 1 and champ

But I thought the consensus of lower league clubs and their fans was that Toronto should start at the bottom and earn their stripes?

24 minutes ago, fcl said:

You mean, it might make it a modern successful sport. What rich sport has players playing for their local team (except one or two for marketing purposes)?

11 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

????????

The Catalan dragons are the result of the merger of two historic French clubs. They continue to train many players

We can not compare the creation of Toronto and the emergence of football clubs. It's a bad comparison. Some sports have developed because of the development of a diaspora that has exported a culture. this is not the case with Toronto trying to apply a model of economic development

19 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

You are in dreamland MoK. NRL consider SL to be nothing but a minor league breeding ground for players and coaches.

Archived