Toronto hate

41 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Brits here take note: Disney paid 50 million US$ for their franchise in 1993 and sold it for 75 million US$ (a 50% gain on what they paid for it) 12 years later.  Another 12 years on Vegas paid 500 million US$ for their franchise and Seattle is paying 650 million US$ for theirs which will start play in 2021.

The 75 million US$ paid by Henry and Susan Samueli for the Ducks is now worth almost 10 times that amount given that in any business an established franchise with an established customer base and revenue stream would generally be worth more than a brand new one just starting up.  That's how profitable the North American model of franchises, franchise fees, player drafts and all that makes investing in big time pro sports.

Yes it's a big powerhouse of economy North American sports, not without its risks I imagine.

with the gains being so potentially large it's difficult for RL to ignore, yes there are barriers but ones we can overcome to take advantage of the rewards.

whether this will be a thing will in five years I've no idea, my suspicion is yes the Wolfpack are here to stay, whether that's in SL or their own North American League I don't know, exciting new times though 

• ckn locked this topic

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30 posts removed that were nothing but attacks on other posters and others quoting those attacks. Some decent posts were cut in this rough moderation that I can do in the short time I have tonight.

Don’t like the moderation? There are other forums out there you know.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• ckn unlocked this topic
3 hours ago, TIWIT said:

On behalf of all Canadians I apologize for Justin Bieber.

Sorry, I removed the context of this post but I’m sure you’ll like to know that the UK has had its retribution for that one, we sent you Katie Hopkins. You’re welcome.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

35 minutes ago, ckn said:

Sorry, I removed the context of this post but I’m sure you’ll like to know that the UK has had its retribution for that one, we sent you Katie Hopkins. You’re welcome.

Too bad, everyone can always use a little more of the Biebs in there life, I don't care what @TIWITsays!

I'd like to think that maybe one day, the TWP naysayers will be Bieliebers too! 

Until that time, I'll keep filling out BINGO cards and handing out boxes of Canadian made tissue paper, Majesta Brand, to all the hurt souls who are suffering from the presence of TWP!

spacer.png

THE PACK IS HERE TO STAY! 

1 minute ago, The British Lion said:

Like I said John - my son is studying in Montreal. I have a reason added to go to be fair

I met a man and his son at a dock in Chinatown, Victoria BC.  He asked me for directions and things to do in Victoria and I proceeded to ask him where he was from and he said Manchester but then said specifically, Warrington.  We ended up having a great discussion about the Wolves and TWP.

If you need to tips on places to visit in La Belle Province, I used to live there.  Good pub to visit is Hurley's on Crescent or St Sulpice on St Denis.  Don't go to Peel Pub, they water down their beer.

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

I met a man and his son at a dock in Chinatown, Victoria BC.  He asked me for directions and things to do in Victoria and I proceeded to ask him where he was from and he said Manchester but then said specifically, Warrington.  We ended up having a great discussion about the Wolves and TWP.

If you need to tips on places to visit in La Belle Province, I used to live there.  Good pub to visit is Hurley's on Crescent or St Sulpice on St Denis.  Don't go to Peel Pub, they water down their beer.

Haha cheers CR. Small world indeed! I'll be sure to consult you. Just waiting for the fixture list to come out to see when we are away to the Wolfpack!

23 hours ago, JohnM said:

All I ever see from him ( that's me Parky folks!!) in response to any post on any subject is anti-Toronto diatribe 

It would be revealing to read his vision for the Toronto-free future of the game here, if he does have one. 

Sorry John but I've had my fill of "visions" on here. We have had the European League with Barcelona, Copenhagen  and Belgrade leading a list of Euro cities, we have had the Transatlantic League from Vancouver to Hull and New York to St.Helens, and we have had the World  league from Wigan to Perth courtesy of your own chairman. All that is left is Planet League in which Warrington Wolves will play the Moon as the opening fixture.

I've no hate for any RL club or RL fan, it was Bob8 who started the hate stuff ("put the "idiot" on ignore" he said about me to everyone) because I was against the idea that we could "expand" the game throwing imaginary endless $$Millions at it in places they don't want to play it, don't want to invest in it (Argyle is not Canadian) and Union has total domination. My vision was for Argylle to spend that money in London, and he very nearly did. I think that was a good vision John - two well financed London clubs? 

Any "vision" needs to be practical, achievable and sustainable. and I remember asking you to consider the practicalities of fake Canadian clubs replacing real clubs here? You had no real answer to that, but as you can now see a very good London lost out by a whisker this year and leaves Superleague. I had a vision of two London clubs in SL, yet we don't even have the one now, and guess who is replacing them 3,000 miles away.

It's quite ungentlemanly for you to now want me to reveal even more my thoughts when you were the one who flatly refused to converse when I asked you to consider the effect of TWP replacing such as London, then NY for Wakefield, then Ottawa for Huddersfield, Montreal for Castleford and Vancouver for Hull.K.R.?  That is the Perez vision - let me know if you are for that??

I'm personally not and in any case  long before we could get that far the backlash will begin. Oxford has already posted a Hull Daily Mail poll in which Rugby League fans here comment on the value of TWP and are a clear 2-1 against. We were both about when radical changes were suggested in 1996 on the merger issue and fans overwhelmingly killed that. I think the customer who is king is often right don't you?

Not only that, those who own and finance the game (Caddick. Davey, Pearson, Hudgell, Moran, Lenegan, McManus. Fulton etc) have their own vision and It does not appear to be Transatlantic. They said they didn't want TWP publicly, they denounced them publicly as an English team in Canadian Jerseys, they refused to share SKY money with them, and by all accounts exchanges with Argyle were heated, with SL trapped into accepting them due to an agreement to maintain P & R this year at least as part of the RFL/SL split negotiations and agreement.  Any Transatlantic ideas you have I suggest won't get past the chairmen or the fans.

Any views I have on TWP I suggest this majority of tens of thousands of people shares with me......As opposed to a handful of people on here  who think Transatlantic.....

I don't do "visions" as such, I'll leave that to the Soothsayers on here........I'm more in line with Marty Funkhouser who pondered just how ridiculous all the dreaming had become on here. Suffice to say I'm thoroughly behind the reality of SL chairmen who kindly invest their money to keep the game alive here as has been the case since 1896, we made it to 1996 and Superleague, perhaps another 100 years?? Over you you John what are your candid thoughts??

Canadian cousins welcome to the open debate guys, don't just send me your smilies  ?

2 hours ago, The Parksider said:

Any views I have on TWP I suggest this majority of tens of thousands of people shares with me......As opposed to a handful of people on here  who think Transatlantic....

I would bet my house on that the majority of rl fans do not agree with you. You only have to listen to the comments of the commentators post mpg. Why don't you listen to them and discuss why their views are so positive and debate with one of the few people who still engage with you?     

9 minutes ago, Omott91 said:

I would bet my house on that the majority of rl fans do not agree with you. You only have to listen to the comments of the commentators post mpg. Why don't you listen to them and discuss why their views are so positive and debate with one of the few people who still engage with you?     

For the best part of a decade, he has had the same approach. Reasonably refute arguments that had not actually been made and lie that other posters had made that argument. Then claim victimhood when called out on it. 

It is best to put him on Ignore. He relies on new posters for his trolling. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

4 hours ago, The Parksider said:

Canadian cousins welcome to the open debate guys, don't just send me your smilies

That's your second post in this thread without replying to mine. Would love to address both of them but you haven't done the same.

Wouldn't be avoiding debate,  would you? 

2 hours ago, TheReaper said:

That's your second post in this thread without replying to mine. Would love to address both of them but you haven't done the same.

Lecture yes.

Debate no.

4 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Now he has a third reply from you. Do not engage. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, Canis Lupus said:

How can there not be smiles with Canadian fans  "WE ARE  SUPER LEAGUE"

For those confused - this is a play on the raptors (NBA) slogan of "we the north"

On 05/10/2019 at 22:11, Eddie said:

Like what? And nobody is saying they’ll be saviours anyway, SL doesn’t need saving it’s a quality competition. 

Totally agree on the saviours comment. It is probably a few over zealous Wolfpack fans that people get the hump about, but end of the day its a new sprt to them and they have taken to it remarkably. They have also done very well regardless of money spent on squad with all the impracticalities they face. Their fans deserve to have the right to be chuffed and they are new fans welcomed in my eyes.

Next part about super league needs saving I can't agree with. Yes it has been very good this past year but look compared ot 15 years ago, we had some ofthe biggest names over here, and not for descrepencies at home, the league was exciting and vibrant and a lot better supported. The decline the sport has seen in participation levels and definitely supporter levels in SL is alarming.

Other sports with the right forward thinking people in the right places have gone from strength to strength while we have gone backwards. Look at and i feel sick saying it Union, Darts and even Netball has gone forward. I thinkt he game needs something to get it back where it should be!

But the big question is what

On 08/10/2019 at 16:00, RP London said:

If my team was winning week in week out I wouldn't be as bothered about going as I would be if it was going to be a close encounter, a good game, and I wasnt sure which way it was going to go... so IMO getting crowds when you are running away with the league can be difficult maybe not as difficult as if you are rock bottom but still difficult, so to get what they are getting is pretty good going. As long as they dont end up rooted to the bottom and being whooped every game i cant see an issue.

So a winning team can have a detrimental effect on attendances? Man united should seriously start considering increasing the capacity of Old Trafford now they're ######, the anti-glory hunters must be itching to savour those losses and the uncertainty of outcome!

I thought I'd heard Toronto teams only kept fans under a winning team? My mistake! Let's hope they don't struggle in SL, or they'll need the Rogers Centre!

15 hours ago, Omott91 said:

I would bet my house on that the majority of RL fans do not agree with you.

When are you moving out? First two fans polls are in it’s a ratio of 5-2 against TWP………..Read on…

15 hours ago, Bob8 said:

It is best to put him on Ignore.  

Show me  a single player or TV dollar they have produced Bob. They don't play the game in Canada beyond a bit of recreational stuff and McDermott admits he can't get any TV deals. They need to build the game there.

13 hours ago, TheReaper said:

That's your second post in this thread without replying to mine. Wouldn't be avoiding debate,  would you? 

Nope, you tried to dismiss the firm on record commitment from TWP to benefit the game here as not relevant. You said getting a paying TV contract is just “Something to work towards” and developing players is Not TWP’s Core purpose”. McManus on behalf of SL berated them for no players,  McDermott has tried to excuse the club from no paying TV contract.

We now see polls on TWP, one in which Humberside fans were 2-1 against TWP and Love Rugby League fans polled 3-1 unhappy with McDermott’s excuses. You and Bob can't put thousands of fans and Superleague bosses all on ignore can you?

Mate, I’ve nothing personal at all against your club in general or you lads who come on here apart from the odd couple who get nasty and think debate should be shut down and posters banned. TWP just need to understand they should put in, not take out which is why they got no SKY money. Long ago I said TWP should stay in the Championship and try to build something. That’s why SL bosses are angry with you guys. Why not stop playing games and have an honest chat about the difficulties Mr. Reaper????

EDIT: OK seen this below, forget it.............

13 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

You lose. First two fans polls are in it’s a ratio of 5-2 against TWP………..Read on…

Show me  a single player or TV dollar they have produced Mr. Free speech. They don't play the game in Canada beyond a bit of recreational stuff and McDermott admits he can't get any TV deals. Add to that the hostility from SL bosses and that's the end of the dream, let alone what fans are saying.

Nope, you tried to dismiss the firm on record commitment from TWP to benefit the game here as not relevant. You said getting a paying TV contract is just “Something to work towards” and developing players is Not TWP’s Core purpose”.

McManus on behalf of SL berated them for no players,  McDermott has tried to excuse the club from no paying TV contract.

We now see polls on TWP, one in which Humberside fans were 2-1 against TWP and Love Rugby League fans polled 3-1 unhappy with McDermott’s excuses

I’ve nothing personal at all against your club in general or you lads who come on here apart from the odd one or two who gets nasty and think debate should be shut down with the ignore button, or poster banned for having a different view - even one that't true.

I’d love you wonderful people and your club and others to stay in the Championship (I’ve always said this) as long as it takes to build and deliver something worthwhile to Superleague. You need to put in not take out. That’s why you didn’t get any SKY money. That’s why SL bosses are angry with you guys.

Yiur an OK guy, why not have a proper conversation with me?

Because you half-assed addressed/dismissed a different point of view one one aspect with more regurgitation of old quotes, and completely ignored anything you don't have a good response for. Then once again tried to accuse someone of not engaging again. 

Come on now, you're not shy of writing long posts. There are some direct questions for you in there. I called on you to back of a statement. Lets have this debate or proper discussion you demand.

Time to end your rants  Parksider which have been a complete waste of time.Apart fro m a couple  who don't want change of any type, you have not convinced anyone with your predictions.The future  for League looks brighter now with the advent of the Wolfpack and a further 10 thousand watching the game. This  will increase next season with all SL clubs benefiting.

To  be fair at least Parky is on the right thread now which is far better than when people want to talk about Oldham v Newcastle and he blames TWP.

As for Humberside one team worried about not winning trophies if TWP have a better squad and another worried about relegation will make you lean that way it's very natural.

And on Love Rugby League I think they were not happy with McDermot's idea of Big City clubs leaving everyone else behind and not much else.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 hours ago, The Parksider said:

When are you moving out? First two fans polls are in it’s a ratio of 5-2 against TWP………..Read on…

Show me  a single player or TV dollar they have produced Bob. They don't play the game in Canada beyond a bit of recreational stuff and McDermott admits he can't get any TV deals. They need to build the game there.

Nope, you tried to dismiss the firm on record commitment from TWP to benefit the game here as not relevant. You said getting a paying TV contract is just “Something to work towards” and developing players is Not TWP’s Core purpose”. McManus on behalf of SL berated them for no players,  McDermott has tried to excuse the club from no paying TV contract.

We now see polls on TWP, one in which Humberside fans were 2-1 against TWP and Love Rugby League fans polled 3-1 unhappy with McDermott’s excuses. You and Bob can't put thousands of fans and Superleague bosses all on ignore can you?

Mate, I’ve nothing personal at all against your club in general or you lads who come on here apart from the odd couple who get nasty and think debate should be shut down and posters banned. TWP just need to understand they should put in, not take out which is why they got no SKY money. Long ago I said TWP should stay in the Championship and try to build something. That’s why SL bosses are angry with you guys. Why not stop playing games and have an honest chat about the difficulties Mr. Reaper????

EDIT: OK seen this below, forget it.............

Your poll that you have suggested was on a completely different article. ''Super League needs big city teams in finals, not small towns from northern England, says Brian McDermott.'' so thanks for your interest but I'm not moving anywhere.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/we-should-be-celebrating-toronto-wolfpack-says-kevin-brown/

“We should all get really excited at how far they’ve come from nothing three years ago to having a fanbase of around 10,000.“The growth of the sport with the Wolfpack is something which should be celebrated.''

''It is a great day for Toronto and a great day for rugby league'' Brian Carney 05.10.2019.

Here are a couple of recent quotes for you to debate or do you want to add those two men to the 30 odd ''dreamers'' on this forum?

Archived