Toronto hate

16 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

If Toronto can shine a spotlight on the sport then that will only increase interest in the international game from broadcasters as it is the elite level.

Ultimately international rugby league is crying out for a bigger talent pool in the Northern Hemisphere.  If Toronto can help with building the story of the game then all power to them.

After all is there any other sport with a transatlantic professional top flight league?

Paragraphs 1&3 = novelty but agree with your second par.

We do need to expand the playing pool beyond those “small Northern towns” where Brian McDermott got most of his from. Over to you, Wolfpack!

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mr Plow said:

Why do some people hate Toronto so much? I don’t get it, this could be a huge step in growing the game, isn’t that what we all want? 

Because provincial thought never steps beyond its village walls - "Gardens are beautiful! Except when they are in another man's village."

14 minutes ago, ojx said:

You are in dreamland MoK. NRL consider SL to be nothing but a minor league breeding ground for players and coaches.

C’mon, dude, a short tournament between the cream of the ‘ARL’, SL and NRL isn’t rocket science. It’s not like we haven’t already had a similar thing ?

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

Fear and jealousy are terrible things.

They give you ulcers and ulcers make you ill.

The flat cappers and whippet walkers need to wake up to the fact that Rugby League playing numbers are on the slide in the M.62 corridor and the games needs to expand to increase playing numbers

But the game hasn't grown in toronto the ORL club numbers shrank

11 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

C’mon, dude, a short tournament between the cream of the ‘ARL’, SL and NRL isn’t rocket science. It’s not like we haven’t already had a similar thing ?

You mean the tournament the NRL gave up on, instead they reluctantly agree to the annoyance of the World Club championship as late as possible each year.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

C’mon, man. Ottawa vs Canberra. ‘Clash of the Dull Capitals’, eh?

I'm sure it can match the excitement of Wakefield vs Hull KR to the neutral. Plus, it might have a possibility of commercial growth in wealthy markets.

19 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

So many cardboard cutouts!

Nah, Canada's an advanced country. They've been CGI'd in.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

3 minutes ago, ojx said:

Dull is relative. Several RL town on the list of worst places to live in the UK:

https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/top-10-worst-places-to-live-in-england

Yeah, I’ve been to Ottawa (and Toronto) several times. Ottawa is dull. 

Half my family is Canadian (might explain why I’m not so awestruck about the whole Canadian thing as some of my fellow posters)!

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Yeah, I’ve been to Ottawa (and Toronto) several times. Ottawa is dull. 

Half my family is Canadian (might explain why I’m not so awestruck about the whole Canadian thing as some of my fellow posters)!

I've been to Hull (half my family is British). Get me to Ottawa any day of the week.

Toronto get good crowds I'll give them that and they are a good marketing tool for the advertisement of the growth of RL to attract investors and sponsors but it ends there. Toronto don't contribute to the talent pool, the don't bring new cash to the game(i.e. no tv deal). People need to stop pretending they are RL messiah it does nothing for the increase in popularity of RL here in England. It wont increase the strength of the game here. In Canada it can do those things if done right which is the exciting part but not here. And the game has declined in Toronto under their watch ORL club numbers are down not up. Still a long way to go . I still can't fathom how some people on this forum think they bring more than our traditional clubs that have a 100+ year advantage. The honeymoon phase is long over well done Toronto welcome to SL now lets see them fulfill your promises or was these simply marketing ploys? Bring us the tv deal and grow RL in Canada(participation!!)and no not "rugby in general" RUGBY LEAGUE! 

49 minutes ago, Niels said:

For me it's not Toronto or the real Canadian fans but comments from some UK based "supporters" here people object to.

Their comments about the North are inappropriate and the same as the ones used to insult us by Union fans.

Alas those comments reflect the reality of a sport full of "northern village teams" which "most Londoners won't have heard of" to quote a couple of other posters on other threads here on TotalRL.

If the sport is ever to achieve the standing and profile which all of us who love it think it deserves, then the reality behind such views of it has to change and for that it needs the likes of Toronto and New York and plenty more like them.

Archived