Featherstone what a run! Almost shook up the league!

I grew up watching Featherstone and was a little kid when they won at Wembley in 1983. To see the heartbeat of the club so strong in 2019, despite all the setbacks is nothing short of amazing. Three new stands have been built since I moved away and they have just put the frightners up the division despite finishing fifth.

Toronto were dead set bricking it today at 6-4. Featherstone need to dust themselves down and they could well be favourites to get promoted next year. Hope they hold onto their coach, and sign some of this squad permanently. Those Fev fans who travelled over will be gutted but will have had an experience of a lifetime! Fev could well be in SL before we know it!

14 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Incredibly proud of the lads. They lasted longer than I thought they would.

We have to start all over again in 2020.

Players come and go, but I fear the coach could be a big loss.

Thnaks to all the squad for a wonderful season.

People said that after Powell left, and you doing a replacement. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be back again.

It's stories like Fev's that makes me want 14 teams and 2 up 2 down so that we don't have to have such a polarising split in preferences!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

It's been a great run by Featherstone and I'd argue they actually DID shake the league up, not nearly!

However, they will be loosing key players and almost certainly their coach so a lot depends on how they recruit in the off season.

With Toronto out of the way it is looking like a wide open Championship next year, which is going to make for a fascinating season.

15 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Fantastic effort from Fev. With Leeds having to run a reserve grade next year, what financial implications will that have for Fev in terms of replacing the players on dual reg, whose wages I presume were paid by Leeds?

I hope we can sign a few on season-long loans. If you look at someone like McLelland, if offered the choice between a season in the Leeds reserves or a season in the Fev first team, I'd say he'd opt for the second option in terms of how his game will develop.

2 minutes ago, hrtbps said:

I hope we can sign a few on season-long loans. If you look at someone like McLelland, if offered the choice between a season in the Leeds reserves or a season in the Fev first team, I'd say he'd opt for the second option in terms of how his game will develop.

Yes you would think that the Championship would be a higher standard than the reserve grade. Wasn't there rumours of McLelland going to Hull KR for a year on loan or have I imagined that? How many players are Fev potentially losing for next year? Do they have any in the pipeline?

It's going to be interesting to see the knock-on effect that a reserve grade has on the lower divisions. I can imagine that League One could be hit particularly hard on the player front.

1 minute ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Yes you would think that the Championship would be a higher standard than the reserve grade. Wasn't there rumours of McLelland going to Hull KR for a year on loan or have I imagined that? How many players are Fev potentially losing for next year? Do they have any in the pipeline?

It's going to be interesting to see the knock-on effect that a reserve grade has on the lower divisions. I can imagine that League One could be hit particularly hard on the player front.

As per the post on our forum, here's how our squad for next season is shaping up:

FIRST TEAM SQUAD 2020:       

• Dane Chisholm 
  • James Lockwood 
  • Josh Hardcastle 
  • Brad Day 
  • John Davies 
  • James Harrison                                
  • Jack Bussey      
  • Luke Cooper 
  • Thomas Minns (new signing)
  • Dean Parata (new signing)
  • Ben Blackmore (new signing)
  • Louis Jouffret (new signing)
  • Alec Susino (new signing)
  • Jack Render
  • Dakota Whylie

Still no news on the following:

• Scott Wheeldon (long term injury?)
  • Josh Walters (rumoured to be on London's radar)
  • Cameron King (rumoured to be looking for a return to NRL)
  • Makahesi Makatoa 
  • Conor Carey (rumoured to have a few SL offers)
  • Jack Johnson
  • Danny Maskill

Confirmed Departures:

• Jack Ormondroyd (Salford)
  • Connor Jones (Salford)

Plus Ryan Carr looks almost certainly to be heading to Leeds as Agar's assistant.

7 minutes ago, hrtbps said:

As per the post on our forum, here's how our squad for next season is shaping up:

FIRST TEAM SQUAD 2020:       

• Dane Chisholm 
  • James Lockwood 
  • Josh Hardcastle 
  • Brad Day 
  • John Davies 
  • James Harrison                                
  • Jack Bussey      
  • Luke Cooper 
  • Thomas Minns (new signing)
  • Dean Parata (new signing)
  • Ben Blackmore (new signing)
  • Louis Jouffret (new signing)
  • Alec Susino (new signing)
  • Jack Render
  • Dakota Whylie

Still no news on the following:

• Scott Wheeldon (long term injury?)
  • Josh Walters (rumoured to be on London's radar)
  • Cameron King (rumoured to be looking for a return to NRL)
  • Makahesi Makatoa 
  • Conor Carey (rumoured to have a few SL offers)
  • Jack Johnson
  • Danny Maskill

Confirmed Departures:

• Jack Ormondroyd (Salford)
  • Connor Jones (Salford)

Plus Ryan Carr looks almost certainly to be heading to Leeds as Agar's assistant.

Would imagine Harrison is on quite a few radars now.

I think Featherstone deserve all the credit in the world for their efforts in the play offs

I wanted Toronto to get promoted, but Featherstone made it far from a foregone conclusion, right up to the hour mark in the MPG. Yes, the ran out of steam in the end, as many expected, but they gave it absolutely everything.

Well done!

15 hours ago, Scubby said:

I grew up watching Featherstone and was a little kid when they won at Wembley in 1983. To see the heartbeat of the club so strong in 2019, despite all the setbacks is nothing short of amazing. Three new stands have been built since I moved away and they have just put the frightners up the division despite finishing fifth.

Toronto were dead set bricking it today at 6-4. Featherstone need to dust themselves down and they could well be favourites to get promoted next year. Hope they hold onto their coach, and sign some of this squad permanently. Those Fev fans who travelled over will be gutted but will have had an experience of a lifetime! Fev could well be in SL before we know it!

Yes a great experience, one that is not likely to present itself again. Can't say that I'm gutted, slightly disappointed perhaps. As I've said elsewhere we never really threatened but at 6-4 I thought we still had a chance of winning especially if we could've held on for another 5 or 10 mins as they'd showed some signs of panicking. But they got a bit of a lucky break with what liked like a huge forward pass before the 2nd try (these things happen in the game and Fev have been on the fortunate side of a few - I'd like to see the Fev try again as I think most fans in the ground were surprised when it was given) and that was it.

47 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Fantastic effort from Fev. With Leeds having to run a reserve grade next year, what financial implications will that have for Fev in terms of replacing the players on dual reg, whose wages I presume were paid by Leeds?

Replace dual reg with loans. The Championship will be a superior competition to a reserves league and therefore a better player development tool, SL Clubs would rather take some financial contribution towards their fringe / young players wages than none, plus have them improving in a better standard competition. 

28 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

I'd agree League 1 is going to suffer due to the reserves. Not so for the top 8 or 9 Clubs in the Championship. 

15 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Yes he's been superb, very good at breaking the defensive line within the opposition's half with powerful, determined running and an awkward gait of elbows and knees everywhere.

55 minutes ago, RugbyLeagueGeek said:

Genuinely surprised how many people assume the return of reserves will mean the end of DR. Remember, U19s have gone, to be replaced by U18, and reserves teams are likely to feature a lot of the players who would have otherwise played U19s. The likes of Golding, McLelland, Sutcliffe (or their equivalents, as some of those players might move on) aren't going to be playing 20 games in the reserves in seasons to come.

26 minutes ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

Recently signed a 2-year extension to his contract, until the end of 2021, so it will cost anyone who wants him. Brad Day, who has been even more impressive, signed a similar extension too. We will be losing quite a few from this season's squad though, but are in a much healthier position than a year ago.

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

It's been a great run by Featherstone and I'd argue they actually DID shake the league up, not nearly!

However, they will be losing key players and almost certainly their coach so a lot depends on how they recruit in the off season.

With Toronto out of the way it is looking like a wide open Championship next year, which is going to make for a fascinating season.

With Toronto presumably upgrading their squad to take on SL, there will be some very good Championship players appearing on the market soon. If Fev get in early for some key talent, it could be good for them.

I watched a whole-hearted and composed Rovers performance for the most part of yesterday's match, and the experience of being in a final will be invaluable for the players they retain from 2019.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Fev were superb all through the playoffs and some of their scramble defence last night was up there with the best I've seen on a rugby field at any level,just puzzled why Leeds sent their best players to play in the championship instead of the stiffs who nearly got them relegated.

Archived