Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Roy Haggerty

Toronto Love (Merged threads)

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Is it that crowded in Toronto? I thought they had a baseball, ice hockey and basketball team and that's it? 

London has so many professional football, rugby and cricket clubs... And I assume others. Surely Toronto has loads of untapped supporters? 

And a soccer team. And CFL. All 5 of them are bigger than Wolfpack. There is pro lacrosse and Union and minor hockey as well. London is a much bigger city too.

Edited by dixiedean

40 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I’ll take that as a compliment. He’s an excellent writer 🙂

Based on one article that suits your pathetic agenda.

10 minutes ago, Michael1812 said:

You two are also about as popular as each other in Toronto. Lots of dislike of this guy from the sporting public. 

Maybe he doesn’t have the ‘need to be liked gene’ and prefers to speak his mind, even if it makes some people grumpy? 🙂

Edited by Man of Kent
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

And a soccer team. And CFL. All 5 of them are bigger than Wolfpack. There is pro lacrosse and Union and minor hockey as well. London is a much bigger city too.

All those sports will look boring to those get exposed to TGG..... Especially yawnion

I thought this was the pro-Toronto thread. Isn't there another one for the sceptics to discuss Toronto's imminent demise over a half of mild in the corner of a soon-to-be-closed pub?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

34 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Maybe he doesn’t have the ‘need to be liked gene’ and prefers to speak his mind, even if it makes some people grumpy? 🙂

I see that he's written some supportive reports about rugby union, do you still like him knowing that?

2 hours ago, Treize Hombres said:

Just be patient Wolfpack fans.....your time will come.

NOPE...DON'T MEAN TO BE RUDE OR ANYTHING BUT NOPE...NO THANKS.

Listen our time is now!...look at the side we are putting together for the next season...

1.  The backs are strong with O'Brien SL level at fullback....Kay and Russell on the wings are adequate and the centers are strong (with depth).

2.  Halfbacks Okay with the potential to do better...all good tacklers though.  Might need a signing in here someplace.  Want speed.

3.  The pack needs some muscle...I figure one or two very strong straight running props....the fellows already there will compliment them...just need to keep it moving forward and the backs will do the best...we need some more muscle in there though to be able to pound them if need be.

I think we have a good shot at top five...if we make a couple of more signings (on deals right now) we might actually blow alot of teams out.

Some are thinking we should put all of eggs in one basket and go for the Challenge Cup next year and also a top 5 spot....Canadians will understand this, "Make it a finner."

-its the Canadian way*

Canadian_$5_note_specimen_-_face.jpg

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, tim2 said:

I thought this was the pro-Toronto thread. Isn't there another one for the sceptics to discuss Toronto's imminent demise over a half of mild in the corner of a soon-to-be-closed pub?

It's 7 pages back due to inactivity,even the 4 members of the Legion of Doom get depressed posting replies to each other.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, clwydianrange said:

The way that a small number of fans will delve into this in great detail to try to find and highlight anything negative shows just why this great game is being held back in this country.

Yep "Man who Can't" and "ParqueCider" will grasp at any straws to bolster their backward thinking viewpoint..they have a diminishing audience and its going to get a darn sight smaller as the expansion bandwagon rolls along. When Ottawa and NY are in they'll be able to hold their meetings in a phone booth.

• Haha 1

AFinner? Are you a loonie? Or a nickel and dime guy beavering away under a misapprehension? Penny for your thoughts.

What happens ON the field next year is secondary. Providing they don't get relegated.

Next year is about making TWP a must have ticket. No freebies. Even the cardboard cutouts will have to move seats.

Yours, Dixie the ten spot.

Edited by dixiedean
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Reported in the Daily Telegraph in Australia that they are in talks with Ben Teo and are also interested in Val Holmes

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/having-landed-sonny-bill-williams-toronto-wolfpack-chase-other-big-names-including-valentine-holmes/news-story/ae7004c458d21961c7781496bc37b067

One point worth making is that i've never seen an article in the Australian papers regarding recruitment by Wigan or St Helens, they get a small mention when a player from the NRL goes over but the article is about the player, not the club.

Edited by Balmain1969
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Balmain1969 said:

They would be good additions. Te'o wouldn't count under the cap, but not sure how Holmes would work. As the Kayakman notes, forwards are the key. But, again, not sure  finishing anywhere above 11th is the priority..

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dixiedean said:

They would be good additions. Te'o wouldn't count under the cap, but not sure how Holmes would work. As the Kayakman notes, forwards are the key. But, again, not sure  finishing anywhere above 11th is the priority..

I'm telling you that you have it wrong Dixie old chum...Argyle and the Pack are going for it THIS YEAR!

Just watch 'em.  Gods own truth.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kayakman said:

NOPE...DON'T MEAN TO BE RUDE OR ANYTHING BUT NOPE...NO THANKS.

Listen our time is now!...look at the side we are putting together for the next season...

1.  The backs are strong with O'Brien SL level at fullback....Kay and Russell on the wings are adequate and the centers are strong (with depth).

2.  Halfbacks Okay with the potential to do better...all good tacklers though.  Might need a signing in here someplace.  Want speed.

3.  The pack needs some muscle...I figure one or two very strong straight running props....the fellows already there will compliment them...just need to keep it moving forward and the backs will do the best...we need some more muscle in there though to be able to pound them if need be.

I think we have a good shot at top five...if we make a couple of more signings (on deals right now) we might actually blow alot of teams out.

Some are thinking we should put all of eggs in one basket and go for the Challenge Cup next year and also a top 5 spot....Canadians will understand this, "Make it a finner."

-its the Canadian way*

Canadian_$5_note_specimen_-_face.jpg

Can't fault your optimism, but here's my take on things......based on what you have said

1. Your wingers are adequate

2. Your half backs are ok 

3. You need a couple of of top quality props 

Even with SBW on board and a few more mega signings you ain't going to be lifting any silverware next year.....you need strength in depth and it's just not there at present. 

It's obvious you are passionate about your team which is good but SL isn't a stroll in the park like the last 3 years have been for you. Time to play with the big boys now....a whole new ball game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dixiedean said:

Holmes apparently wouldn't count as he is a recruit from the NFL

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

This is a really good piece on the SBW story by the Toronto Globe & Mail https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/article-toronto-wolfpack-hope-sonny-bill-williams-can-be-the-super-leagues/Cuts through the more strident b*ll*cks we read from some of our Canadian cousins and cheerleaders.

Come on MOK enough!! We've had the arguments over the old business plan to bring TV riches and Canadian Players to the game and both of these strategies have over the last three years failed completely and Mr. Argyle through Mr. McDermott has openly admitted these things didn't happen and are never going to happen. These old arguments are now proven one way - no players no TV money - failed.

But these arguments are also now in the past. Time to move on with love and without all the falling out.....

This new business plan was the only way TWP could go. People need to understand  just how rich a "Billionaire" is and not be negative about SL not paying TWP any TV money, clearly TWP don't need it and in accepting they don't get any they have contributed to the M62 clubs coffers here. Let's not make that a point of dispute more a positive point of TWP actually giving something much needed to the rest of the SL game.......

On 05/11/2019 at 09:32, northamptoncougar said:

Toronto have just done SL a massive favour, how many more fans will he pull to everyone's home games? It nullifies the terrible "away fan" argument.

The SBW signing has to also be applauded - in a few short weeks all of a sudden Superleague clubs have more TV money and a superstar in Superleague. You gotta love that I think we can all agree.

I also think that we should wait and see and hope and pray SWB pulls the extra fans. Please please please when the double header takes place and hopefully sells out let's not just automatically start putting that down to Mr. Williams, Mr. Cougar for I believe they will sell Headingley out but that will be down to the "first game" bounce, the double header and most of all a four figure gathering of "away" fans from Castleford & Hull to see Castleford and Hull.

Away fans will count and believe me they will be there to watch Castleford and Hull primarily, but Mr. Williams will be a bonus for sure. Next season let's analyse the SWB effect fairly and honestly from the games following the double header, let's not spin any arguments  and fall out after the first game😉.

I'm old enough to have been about when Jonathan Davies came into the game. He was a superstar in his prime and what a pleasure to have watched that man over the years. The most amazing player brought in to thrill the crowds however was Wally Lewis and I saw this RL wizard at Headingley the day he also got sent off.

In terms of making games more attractive and memorable you had to "love" Davies and Lewis, they did it....I am sure SBW will be a big hit and will be the target for big hits from the opposition. It will be great. On the extra fans though please be aware that there was little extra fan boost when Davies joined Widnes, and Lewis joined Wakefield, the clubs attendances are all on record but let's leave that out.

SBW is going to be part of a memorable opener and will hopefully thrill the crowds we have, but please don't start spinning that he will bring thousands of new fans into the game so we don't need away fans - we do. We've had enough of these far fetched arguments.

The real debate is what else will Argylle spend his money on to enrich and enhance SL?? Something else we can all love maybe????

Edited by The Parksider
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

When my first wife was in college, she shared a house with a girl who had multiple personality disorder. In fact the poor woman had six different personalities! It wasn't all that bad, though because my ex-missus only had to do the washing up one day a week. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kayakman said:

I'm telling you that you have it wrong Dixie old chum...Argyle and the Pack are going for it THIS YEAR!

Just watch 'em.  Gods own truth.

as a warrington fan i just feel as though i ought to point out as dont know if you've heard but this year is OUR year! 😋:kolobok_ph34r:

Edited by RP London
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RP London said:

as a warrington fan i just feel as though i ought to point out as dont know if you've heard but this year is OUR year! 😋:kolobok_ph34r:

Its obviously an oversight but I understand how it happened...you've put your money on the wrong wolf!

There is not only a new wolf in town...we have 'Pack' of them.

Prepare for a "Full Pack Attack!"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Treize Hombres said:

Can't fault your optimism, but here's my take on things......based on what you have said

1. Your wingers are adequate

2. Your half backs are ok 

3. You need a couple of of top quality props 

Even with SBW on board and a few more mega signings you ain't going to be lifting any silverware next year.....you need strength in depth and it's just not there at present. 

It's obvious you are passionate about your team which is good but SL isn't a stroll in the park like the last 3 years have been for you. Time to play with the big boys now....a whole new ball game.

That is what everyone has told us at every turn since inception.   We would never get up and running....we would shortly go broke....we would not finish the season in League 1....after winning League 1 we were told we would go broke and not win Championship...Championship would be too much for us....we would go belly up...a whole new ballgame.

What you have to understand is that WE ARE THE BIG BOY, WE ARE THE ACTUAL BIG BAD WOLF!

AND WE ARE COMING FOR YA!

More big signings to come to address some of the issues...no worries.

26 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Its obviously an oversight but I understand how it happened...you've put your money on the wrong wolf!

There is not only a new wolf in town...we have 'Pack' of them.

Prepare for a "Full Pack Attack!"

We're still the Wolves (plural) maybe we're more than just one pack?!?

spacer.png

just watching over the water to see whats going on... and this is what they see across the atlantic

spacer.png

😋😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, RP London said:

We're still the Wolves (plural) maybe we're more than just one pack?!?

spacer.png

just watching over the water to see whats going on... and this is what they see across the atlantic

spacer.png

😋😉

Which one is Sonny Bill?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Which one is Sonny Bill?

the big poodle looking one in the middle (labradoodle??)... looks as thought its about to hump the fluffy one infront of it! (an di am not inferring anything about SBW in that statement)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Which one is Sonny Bill?

hes at vets,cas have insisted he gets his jabs up to date before tigers maul him...:kolobok_read:

• Like 1

SBW obviously hasn't arrived yet. Just look for a Labrador.