Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Roy Haggerty

Toronto Love (Merged threads)

45 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I actually answered this in the post immediately above yours. 

So did I flat caps are cool!

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

The constant negativity in here is quite tiresome. Rather than looking to an exciting future far too many go on how it won't work because it never has worked so why bother and let's just keep on doing it the same old way because that's good enough for us and mediocracy always triumphs in the end.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

The constant negativity in here is quite tiresome

No all part of the fun and life's rich tapestry.

image.png.2bb7e2f1c0a71f0ed39d572580f3d14f.png

image.png.8caee4f7cfaa42437cffb4281ca2db81.png

• Like 1

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

Looking at TWP's twitter page, they seem to have added over 2,000 follower's since earlier in the week, bringing the total to 33,305. It's difficult to deny that this transfer has generated an enormous amount of publicity, and there is no sign of interest diminishing.

Anecdotally, major sponsors are seeking to attach themselves to TWP, but hopefully some of this interest will find its way to other clubs and the game generally.

There is talk of SBW representing Samoa, which, if combined with Tonga's rise, could go a long way towards establishing RL as the major rugby force in the Pacific.

The optimism and interest surrounding Super League must surely benefit negotiations of the new TV deal.

The effect of this transfer is potentially far-reaching and it only hoped that RL decision-makers are bold and don't waste the opportunities offered.

• Like 3

On 07/11/2019 at 09:16, dixiedean said:

Agree with most of what you say, but I honestly can't fathom the bit above.

It doesn't happen anywhere else. Do Goldman Sachs struggle for  minimum wage cleaners? Are Man Utd turned down regularly by folk who'd prefer to be on the same money at Rochdale?

Would have thought the presence of SBW would be an attraction to prospective players. It would be to me.

A more apples to apples comparison would be MLS, for years it has had designated players making seven figures training and playing along side guys making five figures. Players are going to play where they have the best opportunities to flourish, and aren't going to turn their noses up just because someone is making a lot more money than them. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, emesssea said:

A more apples to apples comparison would be MLS, for years it has had designated players making seven figures training and playing along side guys making five figures. Players are going to play where they have the best opportunities to flourish, and aren't going to turn their noses up just because someone is making a lot more money than them. 

Nonsense. All athletes should be paid exactly the same and every game should end in a tie.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Manxmanc said:

Looking at TWP's twitter page, they seem to have added over 2,000 follower's since earlier in the week, bringing the total to 33,305. It's difficult to deny that this transfer has generated an enormous amount of publicity, and there is no sign of interest diminishing.

Anecdotally, major sponsors are seeking to attach themselves to TWP, but hopefully some of this interest will find its way to other clubs and the game generally.

There is talk of SBW representing Samoa, which, if combined with Tonga's rise, could go a long way towards establishing RL as the major rugby force in the Pacific.

The optimism and interest surrounding Super League must surely benefit negotiations of the new TV deal.

The effect of this transfer is potentially far-reaching and it only hoped that RL decision-makers are bold and don't waste the opportunities offered.

Other team owners ought to be taking advantage of all this free publicity and attention by making some splashy announcements of their own. Instead there's nothing. Of course they were all caught out by SBW's sudden and unexpected signing so...

19 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Other team owners ought to be taking advantage of all this free publicity and attention by making some splashy announcements of their own. Instead there's nothing. Of course they were all caught out by SBW's sudden and unexpected signing so...

' Splashy announcement ' ? 

10 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

DKW - How is that different to all the other SL teams? Or any other team that gets promoted to SL?

Are you serious..???

Let's start with junior players with low cap values, Toronto have none and will never have any. Toronto , as is their own business, also overpay for the same or lower standard player as anyone else...see their squad for various examples. They now pay one player more than the entire salary cap. They have placed themselves with the NRL wage market  at the very least . Any future top level players are going to expect big bucks, the mid level squad players (and their agents) are going to ask for very decent money to go there with the expectation they will get it. 

Toronto are obviously more or less up to cap now with a squad of around 21/22 hence their major interest in union players. This is not a big enough squad for SL. All other SL clubs can name 25 - 30 players (or more) without a problem. Some (a lot) play up to number 30 or 40 plus during the season when injuries bite. TW cannot do this and have not suffered much in the way of injuries in their three year stint in the lower leagues . Unless they are a supernatural exception they WILL suffer injuries in SL. It is the entire nature of the sport hence the squad requirements. Their major signing is prone to injury. If an injury crisis strikes, as does happen in SL, Toronto run the risk of of been very, very short handed. They will no doubt plead to SL for major dispensations should that occur.

Can you also name the last promoted team that spent over £700k salary cap on just five players? Even the last promoted team or indeed any other team to spend on three marquee salary level players.

Salary cap management , for better or worse, is a major factor in SL, hence the most successful clubs are always the ones with most elasticity within their cap due mainly to a good production line. Just check any Grand Final winning team and count the number of academy produced players. Toronto do not and will never have this, at least not for 20 years, should they last that long.  

Toronto , like Koukash before, will push and push for the scrapping of the cap and/or big increases but I don think the other chairmen will be in a rush to agree and despite not been enamoured with the cap myself I don't think the game can afford the type of hyper-inflation Toronto are looking to cause. Unless there is a major shift in RL I think Toronto have been either naive or arrogant in their approach and they will realise that, as the sport stands, you cannot simply buy your way to the top. 

My gosh you're bitter.  Toronto can afford to pay the biggest wage ever to a player in SL and yet you still try to make out they're going to struggle LOL.  But of course, they WILL suffer injuries, just like every other flipping team in the league.

Edited by Jampot
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jampot said:

My gosh you're bitter.  Toronto can afford to pay the biggest wage ever to a player in SL and yet you still try to make out they're going to struggle LOL.  But of course, they WILL suffer injuries, just like every other flipping team in the league.

If necessary, TWP will put their cardboard cutouts in uniform to make up the numbers.

15 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

If necessary, TWP will put their cardboard cutouts in uniform to make up the numbers.

Here will be our first substitution.gettyimages-867191380-612x612.jpg.f9571397a1c654696202938ba1afdb07.jpgn.

Edited by Kayakman
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, dkw said:

How exactly?

He’s already explained it to you. Are you taking notice? Or just taking the ###### per usual.

21 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Numbers count for nothing when spending daft money. The only way TWP will recouperate that sort of investment is via a TV deal.

At present they don’t have one.

Edited by SL17

3 hours ago, Jampot said:

They can afford the biggest wage. Yet can’t be arsed on development. Where does that leave the sport?

They are in the wrong competition. NRL is their future.

Edited by SL17
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

Numbers count for nothing when spending daft money. The only way TWP will recouperate that sort of investment is via a TV deal.

Very observant of you. And yet they lay out for SBW and bring Super League massive publicity anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SL17 said:

Little old Canberra Raiders in a city of around 420,000 people, and also with few free to air games, gets over $1 million per year from just one of our sponsors, Huawei.

TWP, if well managed, has the potential to pull significantly more $ than that especially with their apparent marketing savvy in a significantly larger city.

If the Netflix deal happens they’d get a million views just in Oceania. This means more money from sponsors.

A TV deal for each and every game would be great too... hopefully they get it.

• Like 2

Are there any other Muslim sporting role models in Toronto?

With over 400,000 Muslims in the greater Toronto area, I’m sure SBW could attract a few of them to the matches. They’d no doubt see him at a local mosque too.

Would his religion affiliation attract some extra fans in the north of England too?

Edited by Copa

1 hour ago, Copa said:

With over 400,000 Muslims in the greater Toronto area, I’m sure SBW could attract a few of them to the matches. They’d no doubt see him at a local mosque too.

Would his religion affiliation attract some extra fans in the north of England too?

You could say there is plenty scope there.

4 hours ago, SL17 said:

He’s already explained it to you. Are you taking notice? Or just taking the ###### per usual.

He hadn't explained it, hence why I said "how exactly" you muppet. He then explained it after that. You really are incredibly dense if you don't even understand the flow of that conversation. 

3 hours ago, TIWIT said:

Very observant of you. And yet they lay out for SBW and bring Super League massive publicity anyway.

It's almost as if they understand that bringing in a player of that reputation will help them get a better TV deal and sponsorship deal isn't it, but then SL17's little mind explodes as soon as he sees anything about Toronto. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Copa said:

Little old Canberra Raiders in a city of around 420,000 people, and also with few free to air games, gets over $1 million per year from just one of our sponsors, Huawei.

TWP, if well managed, has the potential to pull significantly more $ than that especially with their apparent marketing savvy in a significantly larger city.

If the Netflix deal happens they’d get a million views just in Oceania. This means more money from sponsors.

A TV deal for each and every game would be great too... hopefully they get it.

The reason why Canberra can get that sponsorship money is because they play in the premier competition in Australia. It's paying that amount because of the exposure of the NRL nationally, as one of the major sports in the country, through TV coverage, media reporting, etc. 

RL/Super League in Canada is on the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of visibility and interest. 

Assuming that Toronto can pull significantly more because it's in a larger city will only set you up for disappointment.  

Edited by Mr Wind Up

5 hours ago, Copa said:

Well he's going to be spending more time in Northern England than Toronto , but seriously does anybody care what religion any player is ?

14 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Well he's going to be spending more time in Northern England than Toronto , but seriously does anybody care what religion any player is ?

You can’t be what you can’t see - so if  there’s a dearth of Muslim sporting role models in northern hemisphere rugby league or simply hardly any Muslim sporting role models in the Toronto greater area, SBW’s recruitment could be very helpful.

Edited by Copa