Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Roy Haggerty

Toronto Love (Merged threads)

I've got to say having just been on the NZ v GB thread I need some Canuck optimism as an antidote.

All you have to do is add a few trolls and your morale can take a real nose dive on this forum.

"The Toronto Wolfpack are today being linked with former Parramatta Eels winger and Fijian Rugby World Cup representative Semi Radradra.

This morning multiple outlets are reporting that current Fijian Rugby winger  Radradra could be headed back to Rugby League, following Sonny Bill Williams to Canada."

from Serious About RL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

8 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I've got to say having just been on the NZ v GB thread I need some Canuck optimism as an antidote.

All you have to do is add a few trolls and your morale can take a real nose dive on this forum.

"The Toronto Wolfpack are today being linked with former Parramatta Eels winger and Fijian Rugby World Cup representative Semi Radradra.

This morning multiple outlets are reporting that current Fijian Rugby winger  Radradra could be headed back to Rugby League, following Sonny Bill Williams to Canada."

from Serious About RL

You just need to realize what the troll are and what they crave.  They want a reaction, a fight that way they feel they are being payed attention  to.   Stop feeding them what they want and need, ignore them and they go somewhere else to get it.

Go Wolfpack Go

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Terry2u said:

You just need to realize what the troll are and what they crave.  They want a reaction, a fight that way they feel they are being payed attention  to.   Stop feeding them what they want and need, ignore them and they go somewhere else to get it.

Go Wolfpack Go

I haven't and I don't but GB thread with trolls followed by some on here, so positive stuff needed as remedy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

Had a coffee with the lad after parkrun this morning . One of his mates is getting a trip organised for Torontos game at Headingley . Its full . Concerned about the weather (summer rugby lol) 

• Like 2

On 05/10/2019 at 23:34, Whippet13 said:

A club which wants to grow the game and epitomises the anti-establishment free spirit which led to the 1895 rebellion

Sorry you didn't just compare working class men who struggle in Victorian Britain, who needed the money from games to substitute the loss of earnings that time away from the factory or pit to play would cause, to a multi million pound owner who has skyrocketed his club to Super League based solely on the money he has, bringing no Canadian talent with him or any new players.

This is the problem surrounding Toronto Wolfpack people like to make out they are blazing a trail through adversity and creating their own path, this is not a poor immigrant story about someone who comes to the US with $1.00 in their pocket and a dream and becomes a millionaire, they have millions of dollars. Wolfpack supporters can't have it both ways either they have millions that will help rugby league or they are a club fighting the odds, you can't be both.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Lad said:

Sorry you didn't just compare working class men who struggle in Victorian Britain, who needed the money from games to substitute the loss of earnings that time away from the factory or pit to play would cause, to a multi million pound owner who has skyrocketed his club to Super League based solely on the money he has, bringing no Canadian talent with him or any new players.

This is the problem surrounding Toronto Wolfpack people like to make out they are blazing a trail through adversity and creating their own path, this is not a poor immigrant story about someone who comes to the US with $1.00 in their pocket and a dream and becomes a millionaire, they have millions of dollars. Wolfpack supporters can't have it both ways either they have millions that will help rugby league or they are a club fighting the odds, you can't be both.

Why not young lad?  Its all about the scope of the paradigm you are functioning in (If you get that).

To you folks over there 9 million over 2 years seems to be a real shocker and an astronomical sum...its really peanuts in the market of Toronto....many, many athletes from basketball to hockey to baseball make that king of coin and more......we are just a small fish in a large aquarium over here...you are not putting it in proper perspective....hopefully this isn't a case of 'willfull blindness'.

Toronto is fighting an uphill battle every day but we are winning (with no support from SL or anyone else)!

"Give us the tools and we will finish the job!"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Copa said:

Are there any other Muslim sporting role models in Toronto?

With over 400,000 Muslims in the greater Toronto area, I’m sure SBW could attract a few of them to the matches. They’d no doubt see him at a local mosque too.

Not sure that being a Muslim player matters that much in Toronto. We have a lot of sports fans who turn out to watch Americans, though.

Having said that, the Toronto Raptors (NBA) and Nike recently launched a team-branded athletic-compatible hijab, as a way to support girls and young women who want to play basketball. (Women's basketball is a big sport in North America.) This cuts out the squawking from those who have tried to stop Muslim girls playing sports because they might strangle on their hijabs, or whatever similar nonsense has been concocted. Nike shoes, Nike hijabs. Smart marketing with an overlay of social goodwill.

Wolfpack's Hakim Miloudi is Muslim. He has a lot of fans in Toronto, mostly because of his crazy on-field moves and off-field dancing.

At a Wolfpack fan event last year, Canada RL Association president Bob Jowett mused about how north of England clubs could attract more Muslim fans - and pointed out that offering food choices beyond pork sausages might be a place to start. I also wonder if some Muslims are turned off by the beer culture.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Why not young lad?  Its all about the scope of the paradigm you are functioning in (If you get that).

To you folks over there 9 million over 2 years seems to be a real shocker and an astronomical sum...its really peanuts in the market of Toronto....many, many athletes from basketball to hockey to baseball make that king of coin and more......we are just a small fish in a large aquarium over here...you are not putting it in proper perspective....hopefully this isn't a case of 'willfull blindness'.

Toronto is fighting an uphill battle every day but we are winning (with no support from SL or anyone else)!

I don't think anyone is shocked by astronomical sums of money in sport. You'll find more highly paid sportspeople here than you will in Canada, that's for sure. The intrigue is that it's in RL. The richest RL comp in the world doesn't hand out contracts like that, and their revenues are far more secure than some upstart club in the ###### end of the universe. 

Still, most people should agree that SBW in SL is a good thing overall for the league. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mr Wind Up said:

I don't think anyone is shocked by astronomical sums of money in sport. You'll find more highly paid sportspeople here than you will in Canada, that's for sure. The intrigue is that it's in RL. The richest RL comp in the world doesn't hand out contracts like that, and their revenues are far more secure than some upstart club in the ###### end of the universe. 

Still, most people should agree that SBW in SL is a good thing overall for the league. 

The financial future of Toronto is very secure indeed (no need to worry)....the deal for SBW was a sound financial decision and will come back in spades (think of planting a seed for a crop and then harvesting much more later).

There are not more highly paid sportspeople in the UK than in the NA market (per capita or otherwise).  The only large scale contracts you have in numbers seem to be with soccer.

7 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

The financial future of Toronto is very secure indeed (no need to worry)....the deal for SBW was a sound financial decision and will come back in spades (think of planting a seed for a crop and then harvesting much more later).

There are not more highly paid sportspeople in the UK than in the NA market (per capita or otherwise).  The only large scale contracts you have in numbers seem to be with soccer.

Don't shift the goalposts. You said Toronto, and I gave you the benefit of the doubt by including all of Canada. No one said anything about including the whole of North America. The point is, people here are very much accustomed to sportspeople getting paid lots of money. You're not that special, trust. 

As for SBW, whatever happens, it can't be bad. Only good can come from it. But it's not going to have the kind of transformational effect some people think it will. Staying in SL will do more for them than anything SBW does, and no one can argue that spending $4 million a year on several contracts is a better way to spend money than on one player.  

Edited by Mr Wind Up

21 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Its peanuts over here as well lad - Prem Soccer players wages eclipse just about every sport in the world so we are used to large sports wages - just not in RL which has a cap and not a great deal of money.

1 hour ago, Loup said:

Not sure that being a Muslim player matters that much in Toronto. We have a lot of sports fans who turn out to watch Americans, though.

Having said that, the Toronto Raptors (NBA) and Nike recently launched a team-branded athletic-compatible hijab, as a way to support girls and young women who want to play basketball. (Women's basketball is a big sport in North America.) This cuts out the squawking from those who have tried to stop Muslim girls playing sports because they might strangle on their hijabs, or whatever similar nonsense has been concocted. Nike shoes, Nike hijabs. Smart marketing with an overlay of social goodwill.

Wolfpack's Hakim Miloudi is Muslim. He has a lot of fans in Toronto, mostly because of his crazy on-field moves and off-field dancing.

At a Wolfpack fan event last year, Canada RL Association president Bob Jowett mused about how north of England clubs could attract more Muslim fans - and pointed out that offering food choices beyond pork sausages might be a place to start. I also wonder if some Muslims are turned off by the beer culture.

They play cricket 

1 hour ago, Mr Wind Up said:

Don't shift the goalposts. You said Toronto, and I gave you the benefit of the doubt by including all of Canada. No one said anything about including the whole of North America. The point is, people here are very much accustomed to sportspeople getting paid lots of money. You're not that special, trust. 

As for SBW, whatever happens, it can't be bad. Only good can come from it. But it's not going to have the kind of transformational effect some people think it will. Staying in SL will do more for them than anything SBW does, and no one can argue that spending $4 million a year on several contracts is a better way to spend money than on one player.  

You only have big money in one sport really soccer...we also have soccer but also baseball, hockey,  football and basketball amongst many others....we are much more accustomed to the big money you guys are not really except in soccer.

You are not getting it...SBW will have a transformational effect on the4 game HERE.   Its a Toronto team so that is where the focus clearly is...it a whole new bag of potatoes over here...its not all about the little island....you've got to understand that. 

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Its peanuts over here as well lad - Prem Soccer players wages eclipse just about every sport in the world so we are used to large sports wages - just not in RL which has a cap and not a great deal of money.

As stated previously soccer is about it over there...we are much more diversified in sports over here and the wage for Sonny Bill is fair in the current market HERE.  

23 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

They play cricket 

Whats next?...now you are going to try and tell me the money in cricket is bigger than in MLB???....give me a break...not even close.

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Just because it's a small amount of money in the town of Toronto doesn't stop it being a large sum of money in the sport of rugby league, you do realise that?.

But my argument wasn't that you have spent money, its that you seem to have this against all odds mentality, when you have spent 9 million the odds are all in your favour, if you can't see that the underdog fight the power stuff don't work when you got 9 million in the bank who's willfully blind?.

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

No you are not, swinton did 2 years ago when they nearly went bust, Salford did this year in making to the final when everyone said they would be relegated. If there is a hill to climb you got a 9 million pound ski lift.

Edited by The Lad
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Whats next?...now you are going to try and tell me the money in cricket is bigger than in MLB???....give me a break...not even close.

Many Asians and Muslims either play or follow cricket in the UK , a few follow football , hardly any are interested in either watching or playing Rugby of either code , it was Loup I was replying to , he referenced fans , not professional players , if you aren't going to follow the point of a discussion , don't bother replying , it just makes you look stupid 

Edited by GUBRATS

6 minutes ago, The Lad said:

Just because it's a small amount of money in the town of Toronto doesn't stop it being a large sum of money in the sport of rugby league, you do realise that?.

But my argument wasn't that you have spent money, its that you seem to have this against all odds mentality, when you have spent 9 million the odds are all in your favour, if you can't see that the underdog fight the power stuff don't work when you got 9 million in the bank who's willfully blind?.

No you are not, swinton did 2 years ago when they nearly went bust, Salford did this year in making to the final when everyone said they would be relegated. If there is a hill to climb you got a 9 million pound ski lift.

Yes, of course  and we all know that Swinton and Salford were also denied any central funding?....had to pay and continue to pay all expenses for visiting teams, etc. etc?  give it a break...Toronto is up against it and everyone knows that.

Toronto continues to defy the odds..we know we are all on our own...and we cherish the challenge!  We know how to spend money almost as well as we know how to make 'er!

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Many Asians and Muslims either play or follow cricket in the UK , a few follow football , hardly any are interested in either watching or playing Rugby of either code , it was Poup I was replying to , he referenced fans , not professional players , if you aren't going to follow the point of a discussion , don't bother replying , it just makes you look stupid 

Just answer the question:  "Is the money in cricket even close to the money in professional baseball in North America?"

We all know the answer...be obstinate if you wish but please leave the silly schoolyard insults on the playground where they belong.

Just answer the question.

5 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Just answer the question:  "Is the money in cricket even close to the money in professional baseball in North America?"

We all know the answer...be obstinate if you wish but please leave the silly schoolyard insults on the playground where they belong.

Just answer the question.

I was replying to Loup , he was referencing FANS , I was explaining to HIM , not YOU , I don't answer any questions from you , because no matter what I say , you will say I am lying 

Goodbye 

17 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

It's like everything- you put it in context.

Football dwarfs every other sport globally in everything - players, money, global crowds and sponsorship as its by far the most popular sport on the planet - the north American sports appeal to just 300 million people.

The second most popular sport by a long way is Cricket and to compair it globally to a smallish world sport like MBL isnt really fair - far less MBL players in a small pond than crickets very large pond - the average MBL players wages are obviously more than the average cricket wage as there are far far less players playing MBL than cricket but are you talking about average or star players?

Overall Cricket has more far money going through it than the MBL but that's because is played by 100s of millions all over the world so the money is spread out, the MBL is played in a single north America market so global intrest and so the money that goes with that is minimal.

If you take say Tendulkar who is worth about £200 million and as famous in the world as say Beckham, as India and cricket playing countries make up around 1/4 of the worlds population  he would match just about any sports star in the world for fame and wealth. 

So yes overall there is obviously far more money in Cricket than MBL but that's just the sheer size of Crickets footprint - top players wage for wage the MBL will come out top though.

Back to RL - it's a capped sport and it's only in the past few years the marquee rules have been introduced to make signings like SBW a possibility - So well done Toronto and the Aussie Buisness man hope more will follow.

3 hours ago, The Lad said:

Wolfpack supporters can't have it both ways either they have millions that will help rugby league or they are a club fighting the odds, you can't be both.

Well given that you're quite mistaken about 1895 first and foremost as that was also a struggle for the control of the game and the broken time payments  was the moral justification however important a role it played.

New clubs, ones not from the M62, are always fighting against the odds and this one has the readies to cope as well.

So, it can be both and is both.

The reason all the others failed is because they came ill prepared (without the backing) and gave up when the odds seemed insurmountable.

The trick is a simple one ..... Don't listen, have the greenbacks, have a long term plan and keep going even when the going gets tough.

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I was replying to Loup , he was referencing FANS , I was explaining to HIM , not YOU , I don't answer any questions from you , because no matter what I say , you will say I am lying 

Goodbye 

I've never said that you are lying in my life!  However, right now your post may be different...you are very confused or.....

Just answer the question please....it is a simple question.

Hello!...hello?....

44 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Yes, of course  and we all know that Swinton and Salford were also denied any central funding?

If you think central funding equates to 9 million for swinton or Salford then you are deluded, also because swinton get central funding that means that there problems and the fact that they nearly became bust means nothing. One thing you may not of heard of is the rugby league family and this is also a problem that Toronto have you do not make yourself a part of the family by comments like that, but remembering the last time a Toronto boss said something to a swinton player maybe it's best if you don't speak on those matters.

49 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

had to pay and continue to pay all expenses for visiting teams, etc. etc? 

That because you are not in the UK Toulouse Olympique had to do it, you agreed to it so don't be upset now or did you agree to it so you could look like good Samaritans 2 years later?.

56 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Toronto is up against it and everyone knows that.

In what way?, more money than any other club, one of the biggest home attendances, big city, the new cool club factor, instant sponsors. Oh because you don't get central funding well with all that I din't think you need it.

58 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

we know we are all on our own...and we cherish the challenge!  We know how to spend money almost as well as we know how to make 'er!

Again show how you are on your own.

58 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Toronto continues to defy the odds.

You're right you where supposed to be in super league last year.

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

It's like everything- you put it in context.

Football dwarfs every other sport globally in everything - players, money, global crowds and sponsorship as its by far the most popular sport on the planet - the north American sports appeal to just 300 million people.

The second most popular sport by a long way is Cricket and to compair it globally to a smallish world sport like MBL isnt really fair - far less MBL players in a small pond than crickets very large pond - the average MBL players wages are obviously more than the average cricket wage as there are far far less players playing MBL than cricket but are you talking about average or star players?

Overall Cricket has more far money going through it than the MBL but that's because is played by 100s of millions all over the world so the money is spread out, the MBL is played in a single north America market so global intrest and so the money that goes with that is minimal.

If you take say Tendulkar who is worth about £200 million and as famous in the world as say Beckham, as India and cricket playing countries make up around 1/4 of the worlds population  he would match just about any sports star in the world for fame and wealth. 

So yes overall there is obviously far more money in Cricket than MBL but that's just the sheer size of Crickets footprint - top players wage for wage the MBL will come out top though.

Back to RL - it's a capped sport and it's only in the past few years the marquee rules have been introduced to make signings like SBW a possibility - So well done Toronto and the Aussie Buisness man hope more will follow.

Now look, I appreciate the sincerity of your post but simply can't agree.  For instance,  you seem not to understand (I will accept it as an honest error) that baseball is an international game...very big in Asia (e.g. Japan/Korea), very big in S America (e.g.Venezuela) and the Caribbean areas.  Its huge in Mexico.

Cricket is big on the Indian subcontinent, Great Britain, Australia and areas of the Caribbean.

The baseball money is way bigger both in salaries and scope...for example, no cricket team has the impact or value of the New York Yankees...not even close.

Edited by Kayakman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Lad said:

If you think central funding equates to 9 million for swinton or Salford then you are deluded, also because swinton get central funding that means that there problems and the fact that they nearly became bust means nothing. One thing you may not of heard of is the rugby league family and this is also a problem that Toronto have you do not make yourself a part of the family by comments like that, but remembering the last time a Toronto boss said something to a swinton player maybe it's best if you don't speak on those matters.

That because you are not in the UK Toulouse Olympique had to do it, you agreed to it so don't be upset now or did you agree to it so you could look like good Samaritans 2 years later?.

In what way?, more money than any other club, one of the biggest home attendances, big city, the new cool club factor, instant sponsors. Oh because you don't get central funding well with all that I din't think you need it.

Again show how you are on your own.

You're right you where supposed to be in super league last year.

Very negative young lad...very negative....you simply make my argument for me.

• Like 1