Super League central funding (Merged threads)

Should Toronto get a share of the tv money   

72 members have voted

1. 1. Should Toronto get a share of the tv money

• Yes every club gets a share, they should too
    • No David Argyle should fund the expansion of Rugby League single handed

It will be interesting to see what happens to the funding in 2021 if Toronto stay up. It'll be hard for clubs to justify keeping the money again, especially if Toronto prove to be a hit with the TV viewers. Then there is the impact on the TV contract discussions to consider and what value Sky or whomever place on them.

• John Drake changed the title to Super League central funding (Merged threads)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Some people might say has junior academies doing at Salford, Hull FC and Hull KR, and they have been playing Rugby League for well over 100 years

There are around 30 odd SL players from those academies and dozens more in the other two leagues. York have done particularly well out of Hull area players this season for instance.  They are needed throughout the game. The game really has only a few pockets of serious professional player production, including London nowadays, and if say kids in Wigan lost interest we would be struggling to field teams of any standard at all.

It needs addressing and the money Toronto have foregone should have funded a joint game wide RFL/SL initiative to attempt to do this.

With the greatest effort and will Toronto are not going to have any impact on playing numbers whatsoever for the foreseeable future. Indeed if Canada ever did produce a SL standard player it is probable they would end up trying their luck in the bigger, more lucrative arena of Australia anyway. If they produce a top end championship standard player in the next 10 years that will be an achievement. It is going to be massively interesting how Toronto approach squad building and maintenance.  A tough season, at least on the field, awaits hence Mr McDermotts call for "special" status.

Although the people at Toronto seem to have greater resources , and are certainly drawing more spectators to the ground, I am far from certain that they will not become another Celtic Crusaders. 

1 minute ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Yes they should get their cut. Having said that I thought they were happy to waive it as they were confident they could secure their own tv deal which would be worth more than the £1.8m they'd get from Sky? Is that not on the cards now? 

Knowing the greed of some Super League clubs they would probably want some money of any TV deal that TWP secured

2 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Yes they should get their cut. Having said that I thought they were happy to waive it as they were confident they could secure their own tv deal which would be worth more than the £1.8m they'd get from Sky? Is that not on the cards now? 

It will have to play itself out to really know.  They should never have been denied their cut but that appears to be how things work over there.  This was very poorly handled by the SL governance.

7 hours ago, Davo5 said:

£1.9M would fund a hell of a lot of RL development officers,we might even get one in West Cumbria !

And if Toronto then get relegated, you just get 1 years pay for development officers and then they are sacked as the money runs out.

2 hours ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

That's what I had thought.  If they get their own local tv deal then I do not see how they can also have tv money from SL/RFL/ SKY.   I am not sure what the problem is.

As for the money that the other 11 spread out... I would be very careful with it if I was them because there is no certainty of it continuing.  Put it in premium bonds.

2 hours ago, Kayakman said:

It will have to play itself out to really know.  They should never have been denied their cut but that appears to be how things work over there.  This was very poorly handled by the SL governance.

Fair enough, but something in the back of my mind recalls Toronto would forgo the Sky funding as long as they keep all the revenue from their own deal. 

3 minutes ago, PREPOSTEROUS said:

Fair enough, but something in the back of my mind recalls Toronto would forgo the Sky funding as long as they keep all the revenue from their own deal. 

There is no deal yet..we are at the beginning of this stage...pre stage has been completed.

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

And if Toronto then get relegated, you just get 1 years pay for development officers and then they are sacked as the money runs out.

Ok let's just let the clubs spend it on NRL 34yr olds then.

Flip that argument around in terms of money running out. If TW get relegated, each SL club is going to have to cut costs as they’d lose that £1.9m split. The money should be going nowhere near the other clubs.

That's what I had thought.  If they get their own local tv deal then I do not see how they can also have tv money from SL/RFL/ SKY.   I am not sure what the problem is.

As for the money that the other 11 spread out... I would be very careful with it if I was them because there is no certainty of it continuing.  Put it in premium bonds.

The problem is that Super League already has a tv deal in Canada. So how can the Wolfpack sell something that is already sold? 

According to one local newspaper report, the SL clubs are using their share of Toronto's TV money to subsidize the costs of traveling to/staying in Toronto.

However, another newspaper claims that SL are getting the same deal with TWP that Championship/League 1 teams did - TWP pays for their travel and lodging. Which I find hard to believe... unless Argyle has his own TV deal in his pocket already so it's not costing him anything.

None of it strikes me as SL exactly welcoming Toronto with open arms. What are they so afraid of?

1 hour ago, Michael1812 said:

The problem is that Super League already has a tv deal in Canada. So how can the Wolfpack sell something that is already sold? 

With who?

Yes every of course they should get a share of that funding.  This is the same sort of short-sighted decision which they applied to Gateshead back in 1999, so unfortunately it's just par for the course with the game in the UK.

Sky does not have a tv deal in canada.  Sky has no broadcast  licence in canada and because they are not allowed to openly compete for canadian content they will have to purchase feeds from the eventual broadcast partner twp does sign a rights deal with.  Twp payed sky to produce all the away games in england so they could buy the feeds for thier own fans back in canada. Sky just decided that if they were being payed to produce the content they may as well show it in england at the same time.  Free content for them

If this money is to go on marketing, I would be interesting in seeing specifics.

The most southerly-English team is Warrington, so anything spent marketing south of Crewe would be limited in terms of a return! I wonder if it may be more of a social media campaign to try and boost tv figures before 2021?

8 hours ago, Michael1812 said:

Sportsnet currently hold the fights to broadcast super league in Canada. 

Good to know - makes me confused around the lack of central funding though if one of the arguments was no TV deal

Maybe because they aren't members (they are guests) they can sell their own rights?

Archived