Super League central funding (Merged threads)

Should Toronto get a share of the tv money   

72 members have voted

1. 1. Should Toronto get a share of the tv money

• Yes every club gets a share, they should too
    • No David Argyle should fund the expansion of Rugby League single handed

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Michael1812 said:

The problem is that Super League already has a tv deal in Canada. So how can the Wolfpack sell something that is already sold? 

I don’t see how clubs can justify Sky showing any of Toronto’s games when they aren’t getting any Sky funding. Expecting a single club to strike up their own tv deal I believe is unprecedented, does this happen in any other sport? 

17 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I don’t see how clubs can justify Sky showing any of Toronto’s games when they aren’t getting any Sky funding. Expecting a single club to strike up their own tv deal I believe is unprecedented, does this happen in any other sport? 

Barcelona and Real Madrid I believe. 

Hi all, I’m only a second-time poster on the forums but I have a somewhat debatable question to canvass regarding Toronto: 

If Toronto are not going to receive any central funding which will now be split 11 ways instead of 12 ways, and if Toronto are to pay their own way into Super League and (hopefully) obtain their own Canadian TV deal, do you think Toronto should request that they be exempt from relegation given that they are a new club with geographical / logistical challenges, particularly if such Canadian TV deal is dependent on then staying up in Super League?

If the Central Funding rules are different for them and they are paying all costs including travel and accomodation for away teams, then they could argue relegation should not apply to them?

Not saying I am in favour of this but just wanted to put it out there for discussion.

9 minutes ago, Bluebags1973 said:

Hi all, I’m only a second-time poster on the forums but I have a somewhat debatable question to canvass regarding Toronto: 

If Toronto are not going to receive any central funding which will now be split 11 ways instead of 12 ways, and if Toronto are to pay their own way into Super League and (hopefully) obtain their own Canadian TV deal, do you think Toronto should request that they be exempt from relegation given that they are a new club with geographical / logistical challenges, particularly if such Canadian TV deal is dependent on then staying up in Super League?

If the Central Funding rules are different for them and they are paying all costs including travel and accomodation for away teams, then they could argue relegation should not apply to them?

Not saying I am in favour of this but just wanted to put it out there for discussion.

I can totally see what you're saying and can see both merit and problems with it but sincerely hope this isn't noticed by one of the professional Anti-Toronto brigade.

Mike1812   I can find 0 information of a sportsnet deal owning broadcast rights for superleague in canada  nor any reference to what they are paying for it as is easy to find for the sky deal with super league   can u pls supply us with some actual proof of a sportsnet deal because I dont believe one exsists.   Who did they pay?  What did they pay for?

10 minutes ago, Terry2u said:

Mike1812   I can find 0 information of a sportsnet deal owning broadcast rights for superleague in canada  nor any reference to what they are paying for it as is easy to find for the sky deal with super league   can u pls supply us with some actual proof of a sportsnet deal because I dont believe one exsists.   Who did they pay?  What did they pay for?

You must have no looked that hard because  if you search “Sportsnet rugby league”, it can be found in the very first link. It lists Super League as one of their properties. Not sure how long they have been showing SL but I can remember it being on Sportsnet 8 years ago when I was still in Canada. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/sn-world/sports/

Who did they pay? My guess would be super league or the RFL as no one else would be able to legally sell the rights. 

What did they pay? No idea. 

Not sure if you are trying to be difficult or you think Sportsnet are illegally showing Super League matches but it’s not very hard to find this info. Sportsnet were also broadcasting Challenge Cup matches a few years ago.  

So when people start banging on about Toronto getting a TV deal, it is impossible as a TV deal already exists in Canada. I’ve was saying this three years ago to certain posters but they never acknowledged this point.   

Someone still has to pay toronto to allow the cameras in the stadium. They may own rebroadcast rights to sky content   but not the actual games toronto produces.  Otherwise  how did toronto manage to broadcast almost all thier games these last 3 years and that lame link u just gave says nothing of broadcast rights   it just lists content they buy to show people on thier channels

3 minutes ago, Terry2u said:

Someone still has to pay toronto to allow the cameras in the stadium

No entirely sure what you are saying here.

Super League own the broadcast rights and I would imagine that part of the agrement betwen Super League and their member clubs is that the games need to be recorded and broadcasted so Super League can sell them to different markets ( Sky in the U.K., Sportsnet in Canada, Fox I think in Australia).  Super League then split  the money received amongst themselves and the clubs. So far, all of the news stories are saying TWP will not be allocated any funding next year from Super League and TWP have agreed. So it the rumours are true, Toronto’s home matches will be broadcasted but Toronto will not be paid.

I am interested to see if Toronto will still have to pay for the production team to fill the matches.

41 minutes ago, Terry2u said:

Sportsnet World (which is the old Setanta Sports now owned by Rogers in Canada) have an agreement with SKY. Sky also sell RL coverage (as part of packages) to other companies (e g Setanta Sports Asia now owned by Discovery) as they are free to do so under the terms of the rights they have purchased from RFL/SL.

So as I said.  There are no actual broadcast rights owned by Roger's on Toronto's content.   They just occasionally purchase the odd game from sky to show here in canada which was almost none btw   at leaste before toronto brought a team to canada.   Now Roger's  might have something thier customers actually want to see

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 03:31, Harry Stottle said:

Now I know I am going to get lambasted again, but here goes.

If the "expansion" process is to be continued with more teams being formulated in NA, and that will be the decision of the RFL/SL they must realise that we have to increase junior development over here and produce more player's to accommodate these teams, it should be a condition of entry that these 'new' teams forfeit any funding for this purpose, even the most hard nosed 'expantionist' must realise that these teams will not produce any of their own for a very, very long time, they will need the player's, we require the finances to produce them.

we don't have to be far right extremists with a no foreigners at all policy or far left extremist hipsters that give everything away. How about you just stipulate that any non UK clubs have  20% tax of their central funding that is specifically allocated to junior development. It can be spent in their region or in  the UK, maybe have min 5% in the UK stipulation? naturally you would have to audit the spend and have some sort of criteria on what counts as a valid expenditure.

Should likely have a tax on all SL clubs anyway for that and have one group be responsible for junior development within the RFl or under Elsotone so the clubs can focus on being successful clubs. jacks of all trades usually aren't great an anything. Let people specialize in what they do.

On ‎08‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 17:58, Bluebags1973 said:

if you can't tell we do get special treatment but its bad special treatment. I don't think omitting us form relegation is fair or the right way to go. you earn your place on the filed, its how we got promoted and if something crazy happens that's how we will get relegated.

However HKR & Hudersfield would be the likely relegation favorites as of today for next year before any potential signings or international injuries impacting the teams.

On 06/10/2019 at 20:10, TIWIT said:

According to one local newspaper report, the SL clubs are using their share of Toronto's TV money to subsidize the costs of traveling to/staying in Toronto.

However, another newspaper claims that SL are getting the same deal with TWP that Championship/League 1 teams did - TWP pays for their travel and lodging. Which I find hard to believe... unless Argyle has his own TV deal in his pocket already so it's not costing him anything.

None of it strikes me as SL exactly welcoming Toronto with open arms. What are they so afraid of?

Forgive me if i'm wrong but as i understand it Air Transat pay for travel for the clubs visiting Canada........Its part of their deal as sponsor of TWP...........Toronto themselves aren't paying out......their sponsor is.

Therefore the SL clubs won't need the central funding to subsidise anything and should invest it in something of long term benefit if they don't want to give Toronto their fair share.

If they are spending £1.8m on marketing i expect big things.........cos they are usually terrible at it...........think i'd rather a load of new development officers.

TBF if Toronto sign Sonny Bill then super league's marketing is already done.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

22 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

Forgive me if i'm wrong but as i understand it Air Transat pay for travel for the clubs visiting Canada........Its part of their deal as sponsor of TWP...........Toronto themselves aren't paying out......their sponsor is.

Therefore the SL clubs won't need the central funding to subsidise anything and should invest it in something of long term benefit if they don't want to give Toronto their fair share.

If they are spending £1.8m on marketing i expect big things.........cos they are usually terrible at it...........think i'd rather a load of new development officers.

TBF if Toronto sign Sonny Bill then super league's marketing is already done.

A portion of the funding is going to Elston's budget for marketing and everything SL and the rest is going to the clubs, it's on last weeks backchat with the Giants owner.

also after next year we get to renegotiate with SL on our deal so like I said they will go balls out this year or promoting the game and showing SL owners what we bring and go for equal status.

I still can't believe that the SL owners haven't been to Toronto to see what all the raving fan & Elston reviews are about and thought of ways they could improve their game day experiances/marketing. They are just waiting until they come to Toronto to play us, even if they travel then.

I like the idea of funding development officers as part of an RFL department which places development officers all over the country. Their brief should be to grow the game from under 11's upwards, educating school teachers (to continue the introduction to next years kids, when the development officer moves on) and gathering parental assistance to create new clubs, new referees, new coaches etc. etc.

What seems to be missing is a professional ''how to'' guide for new development officers, rather than leave them to re-invent the wheel (differently) in each development area. This plan/guide ought to be drawn up by (or on behalf of) the RFL so that precious time and money isn't wasted making too many mistakes.

Someone like Mick Hogan of Newcastle, Bob Brown of Hemel Hempstead et al could act as consultant to advise the Development Manager to ensure we get the biggest bang for the bucks allocated to it. This is a long neglected and yet vital part of the marketing of our game.

It is the long-game, but unless we make it part of our ongoing efforts, we will always struggle to supply the high quality players, the crowds, the television viewers, the business backers, government support, the television contracts necessary to secure the games future.

I believe this work isn't something you do once. Its a vital part of the supply chain, the first part, which feeds everything else. That means its an ongoing requirement, forever into the future or until the game achieves such popularity that growth happens spontaneously without needing direct involvement from the sports governing body.

I can imagine a time when that might happen but i think it more likely that the continual draw of other sports, computer games, etc. etc will always tend to reduce support for sports that do not make the effort to promote themselves to new kids. 

On 09/10/2019 at 22:53, Terry2u said:

So as I said.  There are no actual broadcast rights owned by Roger's on Toronto's content.   They just occasionally purchase the odd game from sky to show here in canada which was almost none btw   at leaste before toronto brought a team to canada.   Now Roger's  might have something thier customers actually want to see

What are you on about? How can Super League be shown on TV is Sportsnet are not yhecrights holders for Canada?

4 hours ago, Michael1812 said:

What are you on about? How can Super League be shown on TV is Sportsnet are not yhecrights holders for Canada?

Rogers has the Canadian rights to Super League, but that doesn't mean they are obliged to air every game. Kind of like Sky and the Championship. Sky has the rights, but unless someone pays them to broadcast the games, they don't.

Archived