18-19 Oct: World Cup 9s (TV)

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Men

James Graham (St George Illawarra Dragons - capt), Tom Burgess (South Sydney), Daryl Clark (Warrington Wolves), Jake Connor (Hull FC), Ryan Hall (Sydney Roosters), Ash Handley (Leeds Rhinos), Jack Hughes (Warrington Wolves), Reece Lyne (Wakefield Trinity), Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield Giants), Ryan Sutton (Canberra Raiders), Sam Tomkins (Catalans Dragons), Jake Trueman (Castleford Tigers), Liam Watts (Castleford Tigers), Elliott Whitehead (Canberra Raiders), Gareth Widdop (St George Illawarra Dragons), George Williams (Wigan Warriors).

Women

Dannielle Anderson (Leeds), Caitlin Beevers (Leeds), Leah Burke (St Helens), Chantelle Crowl (St Helens), Jodie Cunningham (St Helens), Faye Gaskin (St Helens), Kelsey Gentles (Castleford), Amy Hardcastle (Bradford), Shona Hoyle (St Helens), Shannon Lacey (Leeds), Rhiannion Marshall (Castleford), Sinead Peach (Castleford), Georgia Roche (Castleford), Emily Rudge (St Helens), Tara-Jane Stanley (Castleford), Naomi Williams (St Helens).

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Not crazy about the kit design, but don't hate it. However, I do like it being a separate look (and extra range of clothing to be sold) to the main GB/England look. It also helps build an image for Nines.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I really like the kit.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Graham & T,Burgess in a 9s squad,are they trying to save on airfare ?

Most NRL 9s squads always featured a couple of big middle forwards. Graham has ball skills and is a great defender and worker in the middle, Burgess a damaging ball runner when he has a bit of room to wind up. Pretty sure both have played 9s before, which will also help.

5 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

This makes it a bit of a Micky Mouse competition 

Players from the Grand Finalists, Salford and St Helens, were not considered, as the squad will fly to Sydney next Saturday morning

Only regan that would be missed.  I’d have charted a flight just for him 

maybe josh jones he’s be a nightmare in a nines squad

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

It's 9s there already is plenty of space.

On the one hand I can see your point. But I have to say, unlike 7s, 9s RL doesn't necessitate space in the same way. A player who can draw in 3 defenders is still valuable in 9s RL imo.

I think we'll see a few contrasting styles which will be refreshing.

11 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

This makes it a bit of a Micky Mouse competition 

Players from the Grand Finalists, Salford and St Helens, were not considered, as the squad will fly to Sydney next Saturday morning

I would say this competition was firmly entrenched in the Michael Mouse household well before that decision.

10 hours ago, Davo5 said:

It's 9s there already is plenty of space.

In the 9's tournaments I saw (the NRL 9's), it was the teams that understood that you have to go forward first before you go wide that were successful.

Pro Rugby League teams have such good scrambling defence that the teams with go forward and an offload/short passing game were just as effective (if not more so) than those that tried to go side to side.  

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

In the 9's tournaments I saw (the NRL 9's), it was the teams that understood that you have to go forward first before you go wide that were successful.

Pro Rugby League teams have such good scrambling defence that the teams with go forward and an offload/short passing game were just as effective (if not more so) than those that tried to go side to side.  

We are not short of good young forwards,Graham's career is winding down and can't get around the pitch like he used to and Burgess can be targeted in defence at times by smaller,quicker players and that's in the 13 a side game.

15 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yep, really nice that. I think this is the lind of thing they should be doing with the full kit to keep it a bit fresh.

Original Northern Union shirt was red and white hoops so wouldnt mind seeing it come back from the England International kit.. would make it different from other England sports teams too.

Just now, Davo5 said:

We are not short of good young forwards,Graham's career is winding down and can't get around the pitch like he used to and Burgess can be targeted in defence at times by smaller,quicker players and that's in the 13 a side game.

Yes, I do worry about both.  Graham has always been an effective defender with a good engine but he is no spring chicken while Burgess does struggle for mobility.

Let's hope the likes of Watts, Whitehead and Hughes play the most minutes as they are mobile and athletic.

Archived