Wade Graham

Clint Gutherson

Ben Hunt

Mitchell Moses

Ryan Papenhuyzen

Kalyn Ponga

Curtis Scott

Cody Walker

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Australian men's squad

Josh Addo-Carr

Jai Arrow

AJ Brimson

Nathan Brown

Kyle Feldt

Tyson Frizell

Reuben Garrick

Wade Graham

Clint Gutherson

Ben Hunt

Mitchell Moses

Ryan Papenhuyzen

Kalyn Ponga

Curtis Scott

Cody Walker

I have a sneaky feeling they may win ...

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I have a sneaky feeling they may win ...

Indeed.  I would take Daryl Clark ahead of Ben Hunt and Widdop ahead of Brimson but after that I am struggling to think of an England player I would definitely have ahead of their Australian counterparts.  Probably just Elliott Whitehead for one of their back rowers.

Not too many then!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Australian men's squad

Josh Addo-Carr

Jai Arrow

AJ Brimson

Nathan Brown

Kyle Feldt

Tyson Frizell

Reuben Garrick

Wade Graham

Clint Gutherson

Ben Hunt

Mitchell Moses

Ryan Papenhuyzen

Kalyn Ponga

Curtis Scott

Cody Walker

They’re clearly not bothered about picking forwards! A big contrast to the England side, be interesting to see how the 2 compete. A huge amount of individual ability and athleticism in that Australia line up 

2 hours ago, RP London said:

Original Northern Union shirt was red and white hoops so wouldnt mind seeing it come back from the England International kit.. would make it different from other England sports teams too.

yes, the one they wore for that test in Oz a few years back was very nice.

10 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

They’re clearly not bothered about picking forwards! A big contrast to the England side, be interesting to see how the 2 compete. A huge amount of individual ability and athleticism in that Australia line up 

Yes, very different make up of squads.  England have selected 4 middle forwards (Graham, T. Burgess, Watts and Sutton) plus 2 edge forwards (Hughes & Whitehead) while Australia go with just 2 middles (Arrow and Brown) and 2 edge forwards (Frizell & Graham).

Potentially I could see the Aussies suffering from being too lightweight in the middle... they have definitely put all their eggs in the speed basket.

Haven't seen the Kiwi squad (if its been announced), but reckon they might fancy this.

The Aussies rarely get it wrong in terms of selection. The likes of Ponga, Papenhuyzen and Add-Carr are gonna love the extra space.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Addo-Carr and Ponga should rip this up. 

I think our side is quite poor, tbh. 

They will do if we are picking players like Graham,T Burgess,Hall and Sutton for a nines comp. we should either pick a quality mobile side or go with young players. 

I think Clark, Whitehead and Connor are particularly well suited to 9's.  The first two because of their pace and skill for forwards to go with workload and the latter because of creativity.

In the outside backs, we have gone for fast big men (McGilvary, Lyne & Hall) rather than out and out speedsters.  Maybe that is necessity over design but they are all quality players if fit and healthy.  Maybe Ash Handley will be a bolter!

The key for me is whether we have thrown too many big middles in the mix and whether Widdop, Williams, Trueman and Tomkins can provide enough creativity.

I think it is fair to say that not many of the English lads will be beating Papenhuyzen and Addo-Carr in a footrace but there is more to winning a game than out and out speed.

The Lebanese Rugby League Federation has selected the following players to represent the Lebanon Nines Squad in the Downer Rugby League World Cup 9s, at Bankwest Stadium on October 18 and 19.

Kayne Kalache

James Roumanos

Elie El-Zakhem

Reece Robinson

Travis Robinson

Jacob Kiraz

Jalal Bazzaz

Anthony Layoun

Bilal Maarbani

Jayden El-Jalkh

Adam Rizk

Josh Rizk

John Paul Nohra

Johnny-Lee Gabriel

Charbel Tasipale

Ahmad Harajly Ziad

Agha Jordan Samrani

Head Coach: Rick Stone

These guys are going to get slaughtered.

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, Pulga said:

The Lebanese Rugby League Federation has selected the following players to represent the Lebanon Nines Squad in the Downer Rugby League World Cup 9s, at Bankwest Stadium on October 18 and 19.

Kayne Kalache

James Roumanos

Elie El-Zakhem

Reece Robinson

Travis Robinson

Jacob Kiraz

Jalal Bazzaz

Anthony Layoun

Bilal Maarbani

Jayden El-Jalkh

Adam Rizk

Josh Rizk

John Paul Nohra

Johnny-Lee Gabriel

Charbel Tasipale

Ahmad Harajly Ziad

Agha Jordan Samrani

Head Coach: Rick Stone

These guys are going to get slaughtered.

One guy is a US RU 7s and 15s player.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmad_Harajly

3 hours ago, Damien said:

The Australian and New Zealand teams look far stronger and more suitable for nines than the England one. I just can't understand some of the England selections or the logic behind them.

I can. They play in Oz and it was cheap to just pick them. 

I mean, Ryan Sutton, James Graham and Tom Burgess are such no-brainers for 9s, and Ryan Hall has done so much to earn his spot this year. 

46 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I mean, Ryan Sutton, James Graham and Tom Burgess are such no-brainers for 9s, and Ryan Hall has done so much to earn his spot this year. 

Indeed, I completely agree that is the case.

55 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Bit harsh on Ryan Hall I think that Dave.  Yes, he only played 6 games for the Roosters this year but he is a top quality international winger, powerful and fast and is probably a good fit for 9's.  As one of our best players and a consistent top performer for England over the years I don't think it is too crazy selecting him for this tournament.

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Bit harsh on Ryan Hall I think that Dave.  Yes, he only played 6 games for the Roosters this year but he is a top quality international winger, powerful and fast and is probably a good fit for 9's.  As one of our best players and a consistent top performer for England over the years I don't think it is too crazy selecting him for this tournament.

Yeah, I agree it may be a bit harsh, but ultimately he hasn't been playing top level RL and he is getting on now and far less effective than previous. Hall has never let us down, and I'm sure he won't here, but I'm not a fan of gifting spots in any squad, even if it is only 9's.

I think there is a distinct lack of youth and energy and real pace in that squad, with an average age of 27 and 2 of your 3 wingers in the squad being aged 31 then I think there are some question marks. When those selections just look like convenient selections it is a bit disappointing. 

Archived