18-19 Oct: World Cup 9s (TV)

I hadn't realised until I read this article today that the England 9's squad is actually made up of the players that will be selected to play for Great Britain... as this excludes players from the Grand Finalists, it was a pretty restrictive pool to pick from for an effective 9's team.

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/55829/great-britain-squad-update

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I hadn't realised until I read this article today that the England 9's squad is actually made up of the players that will be selected to play for Great Britain... as this excludes players from the Grand Finalists, it was a pretty restrictive pool to pick from for an effective 9's team.

Indeed. Done on the cheap, as I've been saying.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Indeed. Done on the cheap, as I've been saying.

Or a valuable opportunity for the Great Britain selections to stay sharp prior to the tour?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

What I don't understand is that the article says that 11 players have been confirmed on the Great Britain tour due to their selection in the 9's squad but five players are excluded who are in the 9's.  Does this mean they have officially missed the cut for Great Britain.

Confusing

Ash Handley (Leeds Rhinos)

Reece Lyne (Wakefield Trinity)

Ryan Sutton (Canberra Raiders)

Sam Tomkins (Catalans Dragons)

Liam Watts (Castleford Tigers)

18 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Or a valuable opportunity for the Great Britain selections to stay sharp prior to the tour?

I'd rather we take these things a bit more seriously and go for our best team without limiting ourselves.

Knowing this was kn and a tour, we could have moved our final a week earlier and had time for it all. 

36 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'd rather we take these things a bit more seriously and go for our best team without limiting ourselves.

Knowing this was kn and a tour, we could have moved our final a week earlier and had time for it all. 

Moving the final may have proved problematic with Man U and Old Trafford.  I don't know how far in advance the date of the Grand Final needs to be confirmed.

But in principle I agree with you, I would rather we selected the best team for every international game/tournament we enter.

42 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Moving the final may have proved problematic with Man U and Old Trafford.  I don't know how far in advance the date of the Grand Final needs to be confirmed.

But in principle I agree with you, I would rather we selected the best team for every international game/tournament we enter.

Good ppint re. Utd, as not sure when we announced the W9's.

I agree the season needs looking at but the climax this year, with the relegation playoffs being decided, then the Championship GF being concluded last week and the SL Grand Final topping it all off this weekend was a great way to finish the season.

It felt really up-beat to me, (enhanced by BBC's coverage of the latter stages). The game was shown in a really good light and that's cause for celebration.

(Moving the GF forward might have meant playing Championship and Super League GF's on the same weekend.)

18 minutes ago, lanzer98 said:

Does anyone know if the RLWC9s will be live on watchnrl.com or any other streaming plattform?

As of now nothing has been scheduled at watchnrl.com.

Itll be on Sky Sports and their streaming service if you are uk based?

World Nines will be on watchNRL. I contacted them and they helpfully replied with more than just the usual generic response you get from streaming services. A couple of tests will be streamed also, although not the GB tour tests sadly.

2 hours ago, eal said:

World Nines will be on watchNRL. I contacted them and they helpfully replied with more than just the usual generic response you get from streaming services. A couple of tests will be streamed also, although not the GB tour tests sadly.

Thank you. This is good news. I got worried as nothing is scheduled. 
I hope they provide on demand services as well as highlights just in case....

Fingers crossed you‘re right.

3 hours ago, eal said:

Do you know who is broadcasting the GB Games?

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

I think the 9s wc is stupidly SH centric to the point it will make no impact whatsoever here. None at all. To the point as a proof of concept it will prove it holds no attraction. Day 1 everyone is at work, day 2 goes up against the ruwc quarter finals. 

Frankly if the viewing figures are even big enough to count it will be a shock

Separately I do think we need to look at the culmination of the season. I'm not sure we give enough build up to the GF for what it could achieve and I think we could do better

I would ask the question of if we could get a deal from manchester to have a finals weekend there, if also wonder if we were better to have a week gap between the last play off game and GF to build the anticipation etc 

Well, if you mean UK as „here“ you‘re propably right. But I for one I still believe that it gives emerging or tier 2/3 nations some kind of a kick start and motivation to play RL. How often do you see tier 2/3 vs tier 1 nations internationaly. In the NH there isn‘t a real competition - which I‘d like to see.

I think that in most EU countries the 9s could be the key to attract new fans and a new tv audience.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

Dont get me wrong, I'm a huge fan on the 9s concept. I think it absolutely us integral to the spread of the game not just in tv viewers but more importantly in player numbers. 

I just think we have half arsed it massively. We need 3 or 4 9s comps a year not 1 every 4 years, it needs to be given a prime place not tacked on to the beginning of a tour, it needs to be a full weekend rather than a couple games on a friday night and a Saturday 

In fact I would say it is more important we get 9s played than who plays it and there is no need to go to the same well and use the same players as are playing internationals. 

I agree with you.

I hope the WC delivers some shock results and competitive games for the smaller nations. That might lead to more international 9s competitions.

On 14/10/2019 at 18:48, lanzer98 said:

Nope I ain‘t UK based. I get access to sky uk via vpn and nowtv but prefer watchnrl.com w/o using vpn. 

Interesting development regarding the World Nines. 

Just been released via Facebook. 

England Knights v Jamaica game also scheduled to be streamed. 

https://mailchi.mp/f9a28e29177f/londonninespartnerswithrlwc-636465

I downloaded the app. Works fine in the Netherlands. 

Not sure if it will be blocked in countries that have Sky showing games. 

All legal and above board so worth seeing if its available where you live. 

Chromecast available on it also to watch on your TV. 

19 minutes ago, lanzer98 said:

Thanks. App does work. 
The England Knights v Jamaica game is not scheduled yet or I didn‘t find it.

try this link ?

https://play.ovo.com.au/event/12509

Ah ...Knights game is Geo blocked in NL .Looks like its only available (at present) to a handful of competing nations as I have just seen this ..but no worries I land in Sydney Friday evening .

"The World Cup Nines on October 18 and 19 will be broadcast on the platform into seven competing nations: France, Samoa, Lebanon, Papua New Guinea, United States, Cook Islands and Fiji with a combined fan base of over three million people."

Undecided if I will pop  into Cambeltown yet (its on the way down to the Souther Highlands ) or head down to the village and catch the games in the pub . Wife and daughter in tow this time so s different holiday planned .Still defo going to the double header at Wollongong on the 25th.

Knights game 04:00 am Aussie time ......could be a problem on a sunday morning !!!!

I have a massive dilemma.

I have Friday off work and will spend some time with my family... however, I could catch the England games.

But... my wife and daughter are flying to Italy on Saturday morning to visit family and I have the whole weekend!

Do I watch the England games live in isolation or do I wait till Saturday and watch the whole tournament in chronological order on SKY Plus.

This is one of the hardest decisions of my life, why do these things always happen, life just isn't fair!

Archived