18-19 Oct: World Cup 9s (TV)

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Do I watch the England games live in isolation or do I wait till Saturday and watch the whole tournament in chronological order on SKY Plus.

I watch things in chronological order on sky plus having made sure I don’t know the results . I think that’s best , and you’re in control of when you watch . But that’s just me 

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

I watch things in chronological order on sky plus having made sure I don’t know the results . I think that’s best , and you’re in control of when you watch . But that’s just me 

I agree.

I will watch the whole thing on Sky Plus through Saturday.

Beers in the fridge and an Indian delivered half way through.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree.

What a great day that sounds!!!

1 minute ago, RP London said:

What a great day that sounds!!!

I know.

I love my girls but I can't wait for this on Saturday. 

Just have to ensure that I don't look too happy to see them leave for the airport!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

• John Drake changed the title to 18-19 Oct: World Cup 9s (TV)
On 14/10/2019 at 12:50, Dave T said:

I'd rather we take these things a bit more seriously and go for our best team without limiting ourselves.

Knowing this was kn and a tour, we could have moved our final a week earlier and had time for it all. 

I *think* the whole thing was only 100% confirmed by the Aussies in April, well after our season had been planned. It was always going to be a half-arsed England team, same for the French. 

6 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I agree.

Being a natural spoilsport, I'm going to ruin your weekend.

Wales beat England.

comfortably.

??

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

31 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Being a natural spoilsport, I'm going to ruin your weekend.

Wales beat England.

comfortably.

??

I'm sure you are right... you should put a lot of money on that ?

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Got Friday off work and never seen a 9’s match before of any type.

What can I expect?

I really enjoyed the Auckland Nines . Action packed , good entertainment and there were no video refs . That was great , and I recall refs actually getting decisions right when they had to make them ! It was very enjoyable and then got kiyboshed

13 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Might have start work a little late on Friday morning to take in the women’s game v PNG and England v Wales

Friday 18th October

8:45am England v Papua New Guinea (W)

9:10am England v Wales

Early start on Saturday https://www.rugbyleagueontv.com/

Well thats me scuppered... school drop off time... does nobody think of the children!!!!

12 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Got Friday off work and never seen a 9’s match before of any type.

What can I expect?

Having watched the Auckland Nines, the game is nowhere near as open as Sevens. There's still a physical battle in the middle to some extent and you don't see as many clean breaks followed by tries. But it is more open than 13-a-side, so the backs get more chances.

I really enjoyed the Auckland Nines, especially the three-match women's series.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It seems strange that the 3 European teams fly all the way to Oz and they all play each other with the likes of NZ & Oz also playing each other.

You would think with the lack of international RL they would try to have European teams playing the Pacific teams as well as Oz and NZ. Wasted chance again.

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Having watched the Auckland Nines, the game is nowhere near as open as Sevens. There's still a physical battle in the middle to some extent and you don't see as many clean breaks followed by tries. But it is more open than 13-a-side, so the backs get more chances.

I really enjoyed the Auckland Nines, especially the three-match women's series.

So...

Sevens are really open, more so than the Nines.

Nines are in between, not as open as the Sevens but more open than the thirteens..

?

They say the fives are really open and the fifteens are like Union where its nearly impossible to get a clean break.

?

Any idea if there'll be radio commentary? Nothing listed on https://www.rugbyleagueontv.com/radio but maybe one of the Aussie radio stations will be doing live commentary for those of us at work.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Gibbo said:

So...

Sevens are really open, more so than the Nines.

Nines are in between, not as open as the Sevens but more open than the thirteens..

?

They say the fives are really open and the fifteens are like Union where its nearly impossible to get a clean break.

?

So the logical conclusion for max entertainment is one a side .

On 10/10/2019 at 09:24, Dunbar said:

Bit harsh on Ryan Hall I think that Dave.  Yes, he only played 6 games for the Roosters this year but he is a top quality international winger, powerful and fast and is probably a good fit for 9's.  As one of our best players and a consistent top performer for England over the years I don't think it is too crazy selecting him for this tournament.

I honestly think that selection should be based on present form it is worked for over the season, and should be recognised. Throughout my time watching internationals far to often have those who have had as you put it had a 'good reputation' or even whichever club one has played for has taken preference over the form player's of the season.

Archived