18-19 Oct: World Cup 9s (TV)

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Interesting points - perhaps worthy of its own thread.

I must admit though if I had to choose to watch one or the other right now, I think I’d rather give up time for a 9s tournament.

I also think it’d be easier to convince a few neutrals if we picked an ace city like Newcastle to hold it in.

Aye, as you say probably a separate thread.

We shouldn't ignore the pretty empty stadium on show right now though for some of the best players in the world in Sydney.

Just now, Dave T said:

Aye, as you say probably a separate thread.

We shouldn't ignore the pretty empty stadium on show right now though for some of the best players in the world in Sydney.

Yes, the action deserves a bigger audience.

I think it’s something you’d have to build and market, but I see no reason why it couldn’t be commercially successful.

Its my first exposure to the format and it’s got me pumped up.

I'm enjoying this, I definitely think there is a place for 9's in club and international rosters. Not at the expense of Magic or full internationals, there can be both.

I think the key is keeping it fresh, different venue every year, some different teams.

Super League 9's - 12 SL clubs + top 3 championship + elite 1 winner. 16 teams, annually.

NRL 9's - 16 NRL clubs + Hunters, Silktails, NSW Cup Champs and QLD Cup champs. 20 teams, annually.

9's world cup - 12-16 teams, every 2 years (before and after full world cup).

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The key risks for me are 1. Clubs start fielding weak teams so as not to get injured, and 2. The fans commitment reflects that.

I dont think we should replace magic, it's a 60k event.

Absolutely correct Dave T, the very same things that killed the War of the Roses concept!

I can only imagine how big WotR could have been if only the RFL had shown some teeth regarding selection, Test trial/eligibility & sanctions for withdrawal. Who knows but we probably missed a trick as we so often do in Rugby League.

1 minute ago, jim_57 said:

I'm enjoying this, I definitely think there is a place for 9's in club and international rosters. Not at the expense of Magic or full internationals, there can be both.

I think the key is keeping it fresh, different venue every year, some different teams.

Super League 9's - 12 SL clubs + top 3 championship + elite 1 winner. 16 teams, annually.

NRL 9's - 16 NRL clubs + Hunters, Silktails, NSW Cup Champs and QLD Cup champs. 20 teams, annually.

9's world cup - 12-16 teams, every 2 years.

Some good ideas there definitely 

9 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, the action deserves a bigger audience.

I think it’s something you’d have to build and market, but I see no reason why it couldn’t be commercially successful.

Its my first exposure to the format and it’s got me pumped up.

that is the thing going for it - it is very, very enjoyable, and still pretty similar to the main format. Unlike another sport which sees it's reduced version very very different to its main format.

I think this is closer to T20.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

that is the thing going for it - it is very, very enjoyable, and still pretty similar to the main format. Unlike another sport which sees it's reduced version very very different to its main format.

I think this is closer to T20.

Yes, totally agree.

Whichever people are responsible for developing this have hit on a winner for me.

I would hope it could be the way we get new/lapsed people to have an interest in both male and female rugby league.

This is the first time that i have seen the nines version and I have been enjoying it so far. There is more space for players to show their flair and speed without it being all about just having the fastest players like in sevens. I'm not sure about changing magic to a nines competition but there should be one over here.

Archived