18-19 Oct: World Cup 9s (TV)

8 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

Not really watching much NRL, I only really recognise addo-carr, Johnson and a few others. 

Anyone know if these are the strongest teams or if a few players have turned it down?

Nobody's turned it down. They've just picked lightweight teams for speed. Only AUS and NZ have been all NRL players. Lebanon was just 2nd and 3rd Div Sydney players. Cooks, Samoa and Tonga were nearly all NRL players, if not permanent first-teamers. PNG has 1 or 2 NRL players.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Davo5 said:

It's in Sydney.

Yes, is that it though?

Do we play this in Brisbane in future to get more people to rock up?

I think part of the issue must be Australia have ruled the international roost for almost the entire time I’ve been watching that boredom with the international game generally has set in.

25 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

Not really watching much NRL, I only really recognise addo-carr, Johnson and a few others. 

Anyone know if these are the strongest teams or if a few players have turned it down?

I would respectfully suggest you don't watch much NRL if you don't recognise all the names. Papenhuyzen has had a break out season at the Storm, the rest for both sides are well established top NRL players. 

Regarding the size of the crowd (I haven’t watched it but judging by this thread) as someone who lives in Australia I can honestly say this tournament has completely passed me by. If it wasn’t for this forum, and the fact I have a couple of friends who are there and posting on Facebook, I wouldn’t have known this was on. I suspect I may be like many others these days... I don’t watch free-to-air tv anymore, everything I watch is streamed/on demand, so I don’t see adverts/promotions for events on tv. I don’t buy newspapers anymore. Pretty much all the promotion I see these days is through social media ... and I have seen next to nothing about this in the last few weeks. I get ‘targeted’ promotional ads for all kinds of rubbish I’m not interested in on Facebook... not one thing about the Nines. 

1 minute ago, DiH68 said:

Regarding the size of the crowd (I haven’t watched it but judging by this thread) as someone who lives in Australia I can honestly say this tournament has completely passed me by. If it wasn’t for this forum, and the fact I have a couple of friends who are there and posting on Facebook, I wouldn’t have known this was on. I suspect I may be like many others these days... I don’t watch free-to-air tv anymore, everything I watch is streamed/on demand, so I don’t see adverts/promotions for events on tv. I don’t buy newspapers anymore. Pretty much all the promotion I see these days is through social media ... and I have seen next to nothing about this in the last few weeks. I get ‘targeted’ promotional ads for all kinds of I’m not interested in on Facebook... not one thing about the Nines. 

Cheers mate that’s interesting stuff and it’s a real pity.

Do you think most Aussies will be enjoying this?

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Most Aussies won’t care.

The NRL is over. People are now interested in either horse racing, or cricket. People want a break from rugby league/AFL.

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I have no idea. I think it’s live on Fox Sports so I guess there’ll be a fair few watching. They do love their rugby league here and the NRL season has just finished so any excuse to keep watching RL!.

This weekend I’m staying somewhere that doesn’t have Foxtel or WiFi so I won’t be watching, although I’m tempted to find a pub tomorrow arvo to see if I can see a bit of it!

3 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I'm only watching because my life is empty and I have nothing else to live for.

I'm looking forward to the Tests but to me, 9s is just a novelty, probably only one step up from an NRL Stars celebrity cricket match.

1 minute ago, Abicus said:

Most Aussies won’t care.

The NRL is over. People are now interested in either horse racing, or cricket. People want a break from rugby league/AFL.

Haha, I just said completely the opposite ?. I think because the NRL has just finished people will tune into this as the ‘RL on a Friday night/Sat arvo’ habit hadn’t quite worn off yet. If had been in another two or three weeks I’d probably agree with you 

15 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

Regarding the size of the crowd (I haven’t watched it but judging by this thread) as someone who lives in Australia I can honestly say this tournament has completely passed me by. If it wasn’t for this forum, and the fact I have a couple of friends who are there and posting on Facebook, I wouldn’t have known this was on. I suspect I may be like many others these days... I don’t watch free-to-air tv anymore, everything I watch is streamed/on demand, so I don’t see adverts/promotions for events on tv. I don’t buy newspapers anymore. Pretty much all the promotion I see these days is through social media ... and I have seen next to nothing about this in the last few weeks. I get ‘targeted’ promotional ads for all kinds of rubbish I’m not interested in on Facebook... not one thing about the Nines. 

I’ve seen it all over social media this last week.

Archived