18-19 Oct: World Cup 9s (TV)

Just now, Old Frightful said:

Jeez, he was tackled then wasn't he?

The trophy has got the Aussies name on it already if you look at some of these decisions.

I dont think there has been bias, just real incompetence.

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Futtocks said:

No replay, and it was on the far side of the pitch, so it is hard to tell if he knocked on or not.

We have an Australia v New Zealand final.

It's the same old Ozzie selective bias from the refs ,as he clearly lost it and pulled it back in at a crucial stage.

What's new?

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

Seems a real effort not to give any decisions really. Plenty of simple stuff missed. 

Don't know if its the refs not having VR to rely on and only being one referee or a deliberate choice but it seems that they just erred on the side of not making any decision rather than risk a wrong one. 

The reffing was a total farce tbh,ok it wasn't 13 a side WC semi never the less it somewhat undervalued a decent event.

11 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

Poor squad selection. Ruling out Saints and Salford players was a bad enough decision but why not pick the likes of Gildart and Bateman who are in the Lions squad anyway. Also why no Jake Connor in the semi?

I agree. It's not like this was a full on test match, and the Saints players were getting weeks off during the playoffs. When the side was announced I was surprised Gildart wasn't in there. Very good taking the ball into contact, rapid and with good hands. That's the type of player you need for 9's.

Selecting Hall and McGilvary as our wingers is just odd. They are slower than a lot of forwards. We also had too many playmakers. Tomkins was a smart selection, he's suited to this style, but why Widdop? He's not a dynamic attacking player. Then you've got Graham and Sutton in the pack, who haven't got the pace or explosive running as their rivals from down under. The Aussie side looks to have a fair few younger forwards and definitely younger outside backs.

Bennett just treated it as a GB warm up. I can understand there are concerns about who plays with GB tests coming up but I wouldn't have minded if GB players weren't eligible for selection - we could still have fielded a half decent side for 9's.

3 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Not watched any of this. How’s it gone? How have England looked? Any impressive sides that people didn’t expect to be good? 

We lost to a Lebanon team of schoolboys. Too many props, too ponderous.

Samoa were good. Cook Islands did better than expected. Tonga were poor. 

1 hour ago, CanadianRugger said:

Trust me, 99.9% of people in Lebanon don't know what Rugby is.  

My ex-wife is Lebanese ?

It's a gimmick, but if the Aussies and NRL are happy, then who cares right? 

It doesn’t matter if the Australians are happy, and it especially doesn’t matter if Canadians are happy.  It matters if Lebanese people and especially those involved in the sport in Lebanon are supportive.

I’m sure most Canadians and Australians aren’t aware of korfball but if their local governing bodies and players are happy with expatriates in their national teams that all that matters.

I should also point out however that during the last WC qualifying campaign they had a few major Lebanese media companies fly to South Africa to report on their matches. 

Their actual WC matches were shown in Lebanon, had coverage in the mainstream media and received congratulations from senior public figures.

Essentially, when it comes to how other cultures view community, your views are totally irrelevant.

The Ferns strike back! 4 minutes to go, which is a long time in Nines.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I know.

It was a "joke".

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Kiwi number 4...?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

The Ferns are the first ever women's Nines World Champions!

One hell of a match, which could have gone either way.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

27 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

I agree. It's not like this was a full on test match, and the Saints players were getting weeks off during the playoffs. When the side was announced I was surprised Gildart wasn't in there. Very good taking the ball into contact, rapid and with good hands. That's the type of player you need for 9's.

Selecting Hall and McGilvary as our wingers is just odd. They are slower than a lot of forwards. We also had too many playmakers. Tomkins was a smart selection, he's suited to this style, but why Widdop? He's not a dynamic attacking player. Then you've got Graham and Sutton in the pack, who haven't got the pace or explosive running as their rivals from down under. The Aussie side looks to have a fair few younger forwards and definitely younger outside backs.

Bennett just treated it as a GB warm up. I can understand there are concerns about who plays with GB tests coming up but I wouldn't have minded if GB players weren't eligible for selection - we could still have fielded a half decent side for 9's.

I dont think the playmakers was the issue. The times we looked good we looked dangerous with Widdop, Austin and Tomkins creating. Unfortunately if you make a break and it is Graham or Sutton in support, or your wingers are Hall or McGillvary then you quickly see the issue.

You need players that if they make a break 50m out, they are fast enough to score.

Archived