18-19 Oct: World Cup 9s (TV)

Just now, Tommygilf said:

I think Sydney is just the wrong place to host this. They repeatedly don't turn out for internationals.

Yes, they seem to just switch off between the Grand Final and the start of the next season.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Can honestly say I’d never seen the format before and would probably have thought how good can it be!

I’ve probably scoffed at the idea of a 9s tournament but can really see the selling point now.

It is brilliant entertainment.

I never saw the original World Nines all those years ago, but was immediately hooked by the Auckland Nines, especially the women's matches.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Davo5 said:

His spirit lives on !!

image.jpeg

A statue of Bill Harrigan? :kolobok_wink:

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well that was more enjoyable than I thought it was going to be. And probably enjoyed watching the women more. Really great to see.

BUT, it's proven that the English game is so one dimensional. Most of these teams has so much flair, switching play from one side to the other, side steps, flick passes, dummies, speed, keeping the ball alive etc. We looked so out of touch with this concept and any of this list. We were awful, everyone else were entertaining and skillful. Coming from this I think we actually need a national 9's for sl and also a separate championship 9's. If only to improve our players' skill set. 

So, it looks like: 

- this form of the game is great to watch and levels the playing field; 

- it should be repeated. The plan is to play the World Cup every 4 years; 

- we should have more of this kind of tournament, domestically and internationally; and 

- we need to work much harder on publicly and selling it, but as ever the play on the field saved the days.

Had to laugh when Aussie commentators said I think the refs fallen asleep there. I think Kendall carried on from where he left off last week DIRE.

I cannot find the figures but the crowds were an absolute disaster over the two days.

If they got more than 20k combined over both days I would be really surprised.

It must be a massive financial loss making exercise.

3 minutes ago, Gibbo said:

I cannot find the figures but the crowds were an absolute disaster over the two days.

If they got more than 20k combined over both days I would be really surprised.

It must be a massive financial loss making exercise.

...and that's why Sydneysiders can't have nice things. Hold it in a place where people appreciate good sport and good entertainment.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

True but I think Widdop was surplus. He can't go through gaps and if you're using several playmakers at some point they will need to support and go through gaps themselves and that's where Widdop doesn't offer enough in this format. The wingers were the biggest issue of course, but I think maybe another outside back or two in the team would have offered a bigger threat. Sacrifice one playmaker for a centre and I think the balance is better.

I'm not so sure, our highlight was the long range try with interplay between Tomkins and Widdop in game 1.

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

...and that's why Sydneysiders can't have nice things. Hold it in a place where people appreciate good sport and good entertainment.

Where would that be..

It would have to be a place where Teams would bother turning up or it would be a disaster of a non event.

1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

I thought Austin has been poor. Widdop a bit anonymous. 

I think it showed we took completely the wrong squad and completely the wrong tactics. 

Tomkins, Hardaker, Walker, Handley, Connor, Percival, Charnley, are the types of backs you need to be rotating through the squad with one of a Widdop, Austin, Gale etc. 

Those playmakers played three times and romped to victory in 2 of them. 

William's was a car crash, although I'd have taken him for his broken field running he just seemed to want to kick and appeared to be lacking confidence.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I'm not so sure, our highlight was the long range try with interplay between Tomkins and Widdop in game 1.

I think it was seeing Tom Burgess galloping down the left wing, and Liam Watts trying to chase a winger down on the other flank ? 

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

I think it was seeing Tom Burgess galloping down the left wing, and Liam Watts trying to chase a winger down on the other flank ? 

Ultimately the problem is that we generally had 3 lumbering forwards on the field at any time, plus two lumbering wingers.

Tactically that meant we often went for three drives in a set and tbh it was all rather boring.

Who was our strike player that put fear in the opposition when we had half a chance through blistering pace?

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Those playmakers played three times and romped to victory in 2 of them. 

William's was a car crash, although I'd have taken him for his broken field running he just seemed to want to kick and appeared to be lacking confidence.

Williams is not a Test player,

Neither is Blake Austin, not even close IMO

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Ultimately the problem is that we generally had 3 lumbering forwards on the field at any time, plus two lumbering wingers.

Tactically that meant we often went for three drives in a set and tbh it was all rather boring.

Who was our strike player that put fear in the opposition when we had half a chance through blistering pace?

Who was it?

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Was it some kind of cost cutting exercise? Honestly, why have Hardaker, Lomax and Gildart sat in the stands just because they arrived on Tuesday? It is 9s not a test match - they would have benefited from the run out. 

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Was it some kind of cost cutting exercise? Honestly, why have Hardaker, Lomax and Gildart sat in the stands just because they arrived on Tuesday? It is 9s not a test match - they would have benefited from the run out. 

It's a warm up for his NRL chums.

Whitehead, Graham, Sutton, Widdop, Burgess etc. were gonna get in either way. 

Archived