Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
philipw

18-19 Oct: World Cup 9s (TV)

Recommended Posts

Just now, Farmduck said:

I'm only watching because my life is empty and I have nothing else to live for.

I'm looking forward to the Tests but to me, 9s is just a novelty, probably only one step up from an NRL Stars celebrity cricket match.

Oh dear, fair enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Abicus said:

Most Aussies won’t care.

The NRL is over. People are now interested in either horse racing, or cricket. People want a break from rugby league/AFL.

 

Haha, I just said completely the opposite 🤣. I think because the NRL has just finished people will tune into this as the ‘RL on a Friday night/Sat arvo’ habit hadn’t quite worn off yet. If had been in another two or three weeks I’d probably agree with you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

Regarding the size of the crowd (I haven’t watched it but judging by this thread) as someone who lives in Australia I can honestly say this tournament has completely passed me by. If it wasn’t for this forum, and the fact I have a couple of friends who are there and posting on Facebook, I wouldn’t have known this was on. I suspect I may be like many others these days... I don’t watch free-to-air tv anymore, everything I watch is streamed/on demand, so I don’t see adverts/promotions for events on tv. I don’t buy newspapers anymore. Pretty much all the promotion I see these days is through social media ... and I have seen next to nothing about this in the last few weeks. I get ‘targeted’ promotional ads for all kinds of rubbish I’m not interested in on Facebook... not one thing about the Nines. 

I’ve seen it all over social media this last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It was three hours of pure escapism.

I only made plans to watch it a few days ago when I found out it was on, but I’m totally converted to it now.

I can’t be the only one.

No me too, great to watch including tge womens 9s.

 

I think it would work well over here

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoyed that.

Plan was to do an all-nighter tonight and watch it, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it enough to invest a further 10hrs or so. I think it is more one to go and watch live and sit in the sun with a beer. 

I'll record it, get up early in the morning and watch most on fast forward and watch the key games perhaps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

Haha, I just said completely the opposite 🤣. I think because the NRL has just finished people will tune into this as the ‘RL on a Friday night/Sat arvo’ habit hadn’t quite worn off yet. If had been in another two or three weeks I’d probably agree with you 

I believe that Foxtel only has around 23% of the population as subscribers.

When games are only sold to pay for view services it limits the audience and the coverage of the Event as no free to air sources publicise it or promote it.

Ask Sports like Rugby Union and Golf how taking the big money Foxtel deals have worked out for their games...

The publicity of this Event did not reach through to the people that bought tickets at the Stadium it seems.

It looked like 10-15 thousand turned up to a 30K Stadium at best

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Enjoyed that.

Plan was to do an all-nighter tonight and watch it, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it enough to invest a further 10hrs or so. I think it is more one to go and watch live and sit in the sun with a beer. 

I'll record it, get up early in the morning and watch most on fast forward and watch the key games perhaps.

 

I think 3 and a half hour sessions work best so yeah agreed, I’ll probably do similar.

It’s a brilliant form of the game that allows players to really showcase their skill and speed, but it’s also possible to put in an important hit.

Really hope some tournament can be organised along similar lines in the U.K. maybe slightly cut down though.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gibbo said:

I believe that Foxtel only has around 23% of the population as subscribers.

When games are only sold to pay for view services it limits the audience and the coverage of the Event as no free to air sources publicise it or promote it.

Ask Sports like Rugby Union and Golf how taking the big money Foxtel deals have worked out for their games...

The publicity of this Event did not reach through to the people that bought tickets at the Stadium it seems.

It looked like 10-15 thousand turned up to a 30K Stadium at best

 

 

It didn't look like it was half full to me so would probably suggest your lower number, but as with Magic it is difficult to gage as people won't be sat in their seat all of the time.

But as tickets were also 2 for 1, it has to go down as a poor job done by the organisers so far. Hopefully a better turnout tomorrow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It didn't look like it was half full to me so would probably suggest your lower number, but as with Magic it is difficult to gage as people won't be sat in their seat all of the time.

But as tickets were also 2 for 1, it has to go down as a poor job done by the organisers so far. Hopefully a better turnout tomorrow.

Tomorrow will do better I am sure.

I hope it gets a full house, Nines is an acquired taste for many, I am not sure whether I am up for it or not.

I want to like it but there is an element of being a Mickey Mouse concept that I struggle to get past but I am older and set in my ways.

We have seen the old Sevens at Parramatta Stadium 35 years ago.

The Downer nines in Auckland for three years.

None have kicked on, there must be a reason for that.

I will say it has been good to see the big teams fielding first rate players from their leagues rather than young fast speedsters that are unknown to most Fans, that has hurt this concept in the past.

 

Edited by Gibbo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Auckland never had problems getting the crowds in for the NRL Nines. Is the Sydney public just jaded or sated with RL events?


"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Auckland never had problems getting the crowds in for the NRL Nines. Is the Sydney public just jaded or sated with RL events?

The numbers in Auckland dropped off and it was retired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because of all this concussion stuff, I propose a 10-a-side sport, 3 person scrums with unlimited interchanges. A 20/40 as well as a 40/20, 20 minute quarters, 1 referee, endzone officials instead of video-referees, and an endzone no more than 7m in depth. Have a different referee for quarters 2 and 4, 80 minutes would be too much for 1 ref IMO. 7 on the bench, just in case 1 hooker get injured early in the match. And once the ball has touched the endzone it's a tap on the 20m line, 7 tackle set. Can keep the maximum size of the pitch at 68m x 100m.

My Lions XVII - Widdop, McGillvary, Bateman, Connor, Makinson, Williams, Hastings, S Burgess, J Hodgson, B Currie Interchange - S Tomkins, Z Hardaker, B Austin, T Burgess, E Whitehead, D Clark, J Roby

Edited by southwalesrabbitoh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, although I understand those saying we could have both.  

I think a mid season Magic 9s involving SL and Championship/L1 sides could break up the season nicely and be a real showcase for the sport.

Its the kind of thing a neutral can easily consume and it would have most fans wanting to attend I’m sure.

Yep - agreed; practically in the middle of the season over one of the May Bank Holidays. A celebration of the whole professional sport in the country.

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Auckland never had problems getting the crowds in for the NRL Nines. Is the Sydney public just jaded or sated with RL events?

It should be used as a developmental tool in areas of interest... Perth. Southern France. Christchurch. Toronto...?! No idea on locations but 4 x possible examples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Because of all this concussion stuff, and playing on soccer grounds in various parts of the world, i propose we have a 65m maximum width pitch, 7m maximum endzone and go to 10-a-side, 3 person scrums with unlimited interchanges. A 20/40 as well as a 40/20, 20 minute quarters, 1 referee, endzone officials instead of video-referees. Have a different referee for quarters 2 and 4, 80 minutes would be too much for 1 ref IMO. 5 on the bench. And once the ball has touched the endzone it's a tap on the 20m line, 7 tackle set.

My Lions XV - Widdop, McGillvary, Bateman, Connor, Makinson, Williams, Hastings, S Burgess, J Hodgson, B Currie Interchange - S Tomkins, B Austin, T Burgess, E Whitehead, D Clark

I agree with every word of this.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is their a separate thread for results., try scorers etc?


the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any idea if Sky are going to show highlights tonight - I've got now TV so cant record. Also means I'm up early tomorrow if they arnt showing games later in the day as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Any idea if Sky are going to show highlights tonight - I've got now TV so cant record. Also means I'm up early tomorrow if they arnt showing games later in the day as well.

Just checked for you mate on Sky Sports Arena and the answer seems to be no unfortunately.

Of course there’s loads of it on tomorrow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to watch but why does it have to be so complicated with totally unnecessary rule and scoing changes? As a deveopment tool, its a mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...