18-19 Oct: World Cup 9s (TV)

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

It was three hours of pure escapism.

I only made plans to watch it a few days ago when I found out it was on, but I’m totally converted to it now.

I can’t be the only one.

No me too, great to watch including tge womens 9s.

I think it would work well over here

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoyed that.

Plan was to do an all-nighter tonight and watch it, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it enough to invest a further 10hrs or so. I think it is more one to go and watch live and sit in the sun with a beer. 

I'll record it, get up early in the morning and watch most on fast forward and watch the key games perhaps.

8 minutes ago, DiH68 said:

Haha, I just said completely the opposite ?. I think because the NRL has just finished people will tune into this as the ‘RL on a Friday night/Sat arvo’ habit hadn’t quite worn off yet. If had been in another two or three weeks I’d probably agree with you 

I believe that Foxtel only has around 23% of the population as subscribers.

When games are only sold to pay for view services it limits the audience and the coverage of the Event as no free to air sources publicise it or promote it.

Ask Sports like Rugby Union and Golf how taking the big money Foxtel deals have worked out for their games...

The publicity of this Event did not reach through to the people that bought tickets at the Stadium it seems.

It looked like 10-15 thousand turned up to a 30K Stadium at best

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Enjoyed that.

Plan was to do an all-nighter tonight and watch it, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it enough to invest a further 10hrs or so. I think it is more one to go and watch live and sit in the sun with a beer. 

I'll record it, get up early in the morning and watch most on fast forward and watch the key games perhaps.

I think 3 and a half hour sessions work best so yeah agreed, I’ll probably do similar.

It’s a brilliant form of the game that allows players to really showcase their skill and speed, but it’s also possible to put in an important hit.

Really hope some tournament can be organised along similar lines in the U.K. maybe slightly cut down though.

Just now, Gibbo said:

I believe that Foxtel only has around 23% of the population as subscribers.

When games are only sold to pay for view services it limits the audience and the coverage of the Event as no free to air sources publicise it or promote it.

Ask Sports like Rugby Union and Golf how taking the big money Foxtel deals have worked out for their games...

The publicity of this Event did not reach through to the people that bought tickets at the Stadium it seems.

It looked like 10-15 thousand turned up to a 30K Stadium at best

It didn't look like it was half full to me so would probably suggest your lower number, but as with Magic it is difficult to gage as people won't be sat in their seat all of the time.

But as tickets were also 2 for 1, it has to go down as a poor job done by the organisers so far. Hopefully a better turnout tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It didn't look like it was half full to me so would probably suggest your lower number, but as with Magic it is difficult to gage as people won't be sat in their seat all of the time.

But as tickets were also 2 for 1, it has to go down as a poor job done by the organisers so far. Hopefully a better turnout tomorrow.

Tomorrow will do better I am sure.

I hope it gets a full house, Nines is an acquired taste for many, I am not sure whether I am up for it or not.

I want to like it but there is an element of being a Mickey Mouse concept that I struggle to get past but I am older and set in my ways.

We have seen the old Sevens at Parramatta Stadium 35 years ago.

The Downer nines in Auckland for three years.

None have kicked on, there must be a reason for that.

I will say it has been good to see the big teams fielding first rate players from their leagues rather than young fast speedsters that are unknown to most Fans, that has hurt this concept in the past.

Auckland never had problems getting the crowds in for the NRL Nines. Is the Sydney public just jaded or sated with RL events?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

41 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Auckland never had problems getting the crowds in for the NRL Nines. Is the Sydney public just jaded or sated with RL events?

The numbers in Auckland dropped off and it was retired

Because of all this concussion stuff, I propose a 10-a-side sport, 3 person scrums with unlimited interchanges. A 20/40 as well as a 40/20, 20 minute quarters, 1 referee, endzone officials instead of video-referees, and an endzone no more than 7m in depth. Have a different referee for quarters 2 and 4, 80 minutes would be too much for 1 ref IMO. 7 on the bench, just in case 1 hooker get injured early in the match. And once the ball has touched the endzone it's a tap on the 20m line, 7 tackle set. Can keep the maximum size of the pitch at 68m x 100m.

My Lions XVII - Widdop, McGillvary, Bateman, Connor, Makinson, Williams, Hastings, S Burgess, J Hodgson, B Currie Interchange - S Tomkins, Z Hardaker, B Austin, T Burgess, E Whitehead, D Clark, J Roby

5 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Yes, although I understand those saying we could have both.  

I think a mid season Magic 9s involving SL and Championship/L1 sides could break up the season nicely and be a real showcase for the sport.

Its the kind of thing a neutral can easily consume and it would have most fans wanting to attend I’m sure.

Yep - agreed; practically in the middle of the season over one of the May Bank Holidays. A celebration of the whole professional sport in the country.

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

It should be used as a developmental tool in areas of interest... Perth. Southern France. Christchurch. Toronto...?! No idea on locations but 4 x possible examples.

16 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Because of all this concussion stuff, and playing on soccer grounds in various parts of the world, i propose we have a 65m maximum width pitch, 7m maximum endzone and go to 10-a-side, 3 person scrums with unlimited interchanges. A 20/40 as well as a 40/20, 20 minute quarters, 1 referee, endzone officials instead of video-referees. Have a different referee for quarters 2 and 4, 80 minutes would be too much for 1 ref IMO. 5 on the bench. And once the ball has touched the endzone it's a tap on the 20m line, 7 tackle set.

My Lions XV - Widdop, McGillvary, Bateman, Connor, Makinson, Williams, Hastings, S Burgess, J Hodgson, B Currie Interchange - S Tomkins, B Austin, T Burgess, E Whitehead, D Clark

I agree with every word of this.

7 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Any idea if Sky are going to show highlights tonight - I've got now TV so cant record. Also means I'm up early tomorrow if they arnt showing games later in the day as well.

Just checked for you mate on Sky Sports Arena and the answer seems to be no unfortunately.

Of course there’s loads of it on tomorrow!

Enjoyed it for what it is, recorded it and watched it this morning. Looks like being a Aussie double I'm afraid, the England women looked good until you saw the Aussie girls, they picked a far more athletic and quick team that made England's bigger girls look pedestrian in comparison. Time will tell but it could get messy if they cut loose.

Same really for the men's team, too much pace and size in there for the others to cope with.

A dummy half with a long, accurate pass is a godsend to create the overlap, and it's great to see the kick or chip and chase make a return, you've been missed!

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

is their a separate thread for results., try scorers etc?

https://www.flashscore.com/rugby-league/ - click on a match, and a window will pop up with scorers and some other information.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

Enjoyed that.

Lightweight. It's not as if you have been at work all week ? 

3 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Any idea if Sky are going to show highlights tonight - I've got now TV so cant record. Also means I'm up early tomorrow if they arnt showing games later in the day as well.

Looks like you can view the highlights on the sky sports rugby league website. You don't need to be a subscriber to watch 

Some really enjoyable games. England performed well which is always good to see.

The Australian women's team was most impressive. I know they've a head start on the game here but it would be great if the women's game here could get to that level.

Archived