Brian McDermott's Big City Team League

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Didnt say huge, i said Huge in comparison......to the big city clubs i mentioned.

Definitely, on an attendance per population basis the likes of Fev and Cas are massively well supported, as are Leigh, Workington and Whitehaven. Leeds would be getting 100,000 if their ratio was the same. 

Problem I have is how you get from current clubs and their geographical or Town locations to the promised land of enrichment through big City clubs. That is getting their without losing the clubs and fans that currently keeps RL hanging by its precarious thread.

I haven't heard how McDermott or any others articulate the more difficult questions of how its achieved, whilst sustaining the base we have. For example: keeps RL no worse in this country and by default sustaining the current player pathways that any new big city club here or in another country would need whilst establishing its own pathways and community game.

17 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

But they arent huge in comparison. Huge is a relative concept and fev are at the same end of the scale as those clubs.

This equivocation between fev and clubs like Leicester tigers is like worlds tallest dwarf thinking they deserve a spot in the NBA because Isaiah Thomas plays and hes 5'9. Forgetting that they dont have the skills Thomas does and 5'9 isnt that small.

Fev are a small club in a small town, yes there exceptions and some big clubs have expanded their reach outside their small town and grown. Fev arent one of those clubs. 

Nope, Featherstone Rovers are clearly not at the same end of the scale as those big city RL Clubs mentioned. 

5 hours ago, redjonn said:

Problem I have is how you get from current clubs and their geographical or Town locations to the promised land of enrichment through big City clubs. That is getting their without losing the clubs and fans that currently keeps RL hanging by its precarious thread.

I haven't heard how McDermott or any others articulate the more difficult questions of how its achieved, whilst sustaining the base we have. For example: keeps RL no worse in this country and by default sustaining the current player pathways that any new big city club here or in another country would need whilst establishing its own pathways and community game.

I can think of only one possible way, via a whole new and separate league for those big city franchises which allows the traditional clubs to remain in the same league structure as now playing the same traditional opponents as always.

5 hours ago, Big Picture said:

I can think of only one possible way, via a whole new and separate league for those big city franchises which allows the traditional clubs to remain in the same league structure as now playing the same traditional opponents as always.

Paris

London

Manchester

Dublin

Chicago 

Philadelphia

New York

Toronto 

8 seems to be the magic number for these kind of things. Looking at the IPL, the Big Bash & the relaunched XFL. 

10 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Well the scale goes from 0 to generally about 14k as high as 17k.

Fevs roughly 2k are far closer to The left hand side of that scale where Coventry are than the right hand scale where the big boys are.

that's  true but when our near neighbor's  c#s got relegated over 7000 came to FEV to watch 

2 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Paris

London

Manchester

Dublin

Chicago 

Philadelphia

New York

Toronto 

8 seems to be the magic number for these kind of things. Looking at the IPL, the Big Bash & the relaunched XFL. 

Who would fund all this?

We need to start big city teams in London, Paris, Cardiff, Newcastle, Liverpool, Nottingham, Sheffield, it's the way forward, oh wait! We already did that.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Well where are C

Just now, scotchy1 said:

In my lifetime, where the vast majority of the competition has been straight P+R, clubs from sheffield, Wales, and London have seen more success than Fev. There is a reason for that, it isnt unfairness or some conspiracy theory. 

It is money has flowed to these places, because of where these places are. It hasnt to fev. 

Well why aren't Cardiff Blue Dragons, Nottingham Marksmen, Fulham, Sheffield Eagles, Paris St Germaine, Liverpool City, and Newcastle Thunder contesting the Super League today pal?

In my lifetime Featherstone Rovers have won the Challenge Cup three times, been runners-up once and won the Championship once. They were also excluded from Super League despite not being in a relegation place, to make way for erm. Paris St Germaine

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Paris

London

Manchester

Dublin

Chicago 

Philadelphia

New York

Toronto 

What niche is there for rugby league in Paris? 

London and Manchester are two of the most competitive sports markets there are and rugby league will struggle to establish itself with the socially aspirational.

And have the disadvantage of timelag and transatlantic flights, and relying on eight clubs to successfully establish at the same time with no background of the competition being established. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Paris

London

Manchester

Dublin

Chicago 

Philadelphia

New York

Toronto 

I lived I. Philadelphia for many years and still go back and I ask ,but I've yet to meet anyone who's heard of Philadelphia Fight Rugby League team . Even though association Football is now established it's still alien to many . During one WC a local commented ' I see this is the Fifa World Cup is it the same soccer that they play in England?' RL will take an awful lot of time and effort to get established over there. They have so many fringe sports , I have watched Lacrosse on TV and the crowds are very small. 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

3 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Paris

London

Manchester

Dublin

Chicago 

Philadelphia

New York

Toronto 

Eight is the bare minimum, the ABA started with 11, the WHA and Super Rugby both started with 12 and Pro14 started with 15.

A league involving transatlantic travel would have significant costs and budgets (especially as it would also need a salary cap high enough so the money involved can attract good players) so it would need to attract serious TV money to underwrite it, yet a startup league of a sport which is unknown to most of the sporting public in any prospective markets and looked down upon by most of the remainder who have heard of it could not expect any single broadcaster to pay that much so several contracts would be needed from different broadcasters.  Realistically they would need to be broadcasters who serve different markets and audiences, so the franchises would need to be located in a good spread of G20 countries to achieve that and eight teams would make that a bit light for that.

7 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Realistically they would need to be broadcasters who serve different markets and audiences, so the franchises would need to be located in a good spread of G20 countries to achieve that and eight teams would make that a bit light for that.

Good god almighty.....

About as realistic as a Van Gogh...

29 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Team Owners. 

George Harrison used to fund iffy projects - like Life of Brian - but unfortunately he's been dead 18 years

Clement Attlee.

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Who would fund all this?

8 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Team Owners. 

Of course team owners would fund it.  Among the things which their franchise fees would need to do is provide capital for the league's startup costs which would include setting up and staffing a league office which would need a multilingual capability so that when a sports reporter from a media outlet in the region where one of the franchises is based calls up looking for information about the league for his or her story about the league franchise in that area, the information can be supplied in that media outlet's language of publication/broadcast (which in Barcelona for example could be either Catalan or Castilian [aka "Spanish"]), and also retaining one or more top marketing/advertising firms to design a promotional campaign(s) capable of breaking through the combination of lack of awareness of the game and negative views of it among the public in all the league's franchise territories so the necessary demand for tickets, merchandise and the like can be created in each franchise's territory.  The total raised from franchise fees should be enough to cover all such costs and leave a surplus for the league's costs of operating its office, paying match officials, etc. during the league's early years.

39 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Of course team owners would fund it.  Among the things which their franchise fees would do is provide capital for the league's startup costs which would include setting up and staffing a league office which would need a multilingual capability so that when a sports reporter from a media outlet in the region where one of the franchises is based calls up looking for information about the league for his or her story about the league franchise in that area, the information can be supplied in that media outlet's language of publication/broadcast (which in Barcelona for example could be either Catalan or Castilian [aka "Spanish"]), and also retaining one or more top marketing/advertising firms to design a promotional campaign(s) capable of breaking through the combination of lack of awareness of the game and negative views of it among the public in all the league's franchise territories so the necessary demand for tickets, merchandise and the like can be created in each franchise's territory.  The total raised from franchise fees should be enough to cover all such costs and leave a surplus for the league's costs of operating its office, paying match officials, etc. during the league's early years.

Just to remind everyone, this chap used the word “realistically” in one of his posts earlier. Presumably, by mistake. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived