Brian McDermott's Big City Team League

12 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

?

I cannot believe with the rubbish you posted above you actually run a business?

Parky is this how you generally talk to people?....like in your average day when you have interactions with other people...is this how you would address them?

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

853 posts and finally one I agree with "Debt is an amount of money borrowed by one party from another". But the money comes from one party (Argyles pocket) and goes to the same party (Argyle as TWP Ltd). let's simplify this. Argyle has lost over £3M a year on TWP and that is set to be well over £4M a year in Superleague. It's the kind of Business Plan an avid RL loving Aussie Billionaire is OK with but certainly not Canadians with a hell of a lot less affinity to RL if they  have any at all and a lot less money to throw away.

Which is why after all these years now we see no Canadian investors, No Canadian Players, No Canadian TV deal just an Australians phoney  RL club based in Manchester. Now of course this is a smart set up because it'd be easy for Argyle to switch overnight to being Barcelona by simply hiring a ground there instead of in Toronto.

But still very few posts with points addressed and questions answered. ?

Any way...So what? They've lost money at a time when it is expected that they would be losing money. What else can you possibly expect? Of course it costs millions a year to run a team- so of course it makes sense to try to get the money making level. How else could it work?

The thread is about a "big city" international league. How other way would that happen except exactly how TWP have done it by investing what it takes to have a top product that will make money?

Do you have a point besides ripping on Toronto?

9 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Parky is this how you generally talk to people?....like in your average day when you have interactions with other people...is this how you would address them?

Its alright.. I'm sitting here calculating the dividend that is coming my way at the end of the year after increasing our turnover by 1/3rd in the past year with a new brand that is high margin and designed for the non EU Export Market... i'm doing ok and he can throw what he likes at me i know what I am doing and if i am doing it well, have also been asked to guest lecture on strategy and business at both city universities (both on the MBA course and the undergrad Business course) and I sit on the Industrial Advisory Board for a course for my industry at one of them too, so got to be doing something right!.. (also he is on ignore so i dont see much of the uneducated rubbish he spouts out)

On 21/10/2019 at 11:28, RP London said:

mate we've all tried to engage.. he ignores it if he doesn't like what you've said or questions you've asked or the fact you actually have sources and facts... then he says that no one is engaging!!

its frustrating and its cyclical... he'll say we insult him but we don't we just tell the truth... he doesn't engage if he doesn't like the argument, he then makes facts up to counter actual facts that don't work for him and he provides no substance to any of his claims (nor does he realise that time moves on and things change so quotes from 5 years ago are rendered meaningless by changing circumstances).. he is Donald Trump and i claim my £5!

On 22/10/2019 at 09:15, RP London said:

like everything you post that is utter tripe.. I own a business, have done for the past 12 years. The business has been around for 150 years.. you re-evaluate your "plan" every 6 months to 1 year. Your 5 year plan is the aim of where you should be, how you get there changes and you abandon things along the way, with the ability to resurrect them when the time and circumstances are better suited. You also re-evaluate when there is a change in management etc so YES  within a 5 year plan things constantly change.. 

If you dont do this then the business WILL fail you have to alter and change and constantly adapt. 

Look at you forgetting your own lesson!

The poster in question is a utter ****. Ignore him and your life will be better.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Look at you forgetting your own lesson!

The poster in question is a utter ****. Ignore him and your life will be better.

I know, i honestly thought i could put that one to bed quite quickly... i was, of course, wrong!

23 hours ago, TheReaper said:

(1) The thread is about a "big city" international league. How other way would that happen except exactly how TWP have done it by investing what it takes to have a top product that will make money?

They've lost money at a time when it is expected that they would be losing money. What else can you possibly expect? Of course it costs millions a year to run a team- so of course (2)  it makes sense to try to get the money making level. How else could it work

(1) The thread isn't about a big city international league at all. Go back to the first posts and it's Smudger and MOK taking the mickey out of McDermott whose been sent out to moan about Superleague's resistance to all this North American expansion nonsense. Every time these phoney clubs get mentioned people are immediately off inventing all sorts of nonsense about the riches it will bring our game, and when they get pulled on the reality that outside the M62 nobody much cares enough to engage, they are somehow outraged!

(2) Again I agree with you. The basic business plan is invest money, go into debt, but use that money to grow the assets and the income and in the end make back more than the original investment.

But what you and everyone else completely miss (which is why I take people's self published Marketing and Business CV's with a massive pinch of salt) is that around half of all businesses fail in the first five years.  You just seem to assume if you have the investment and put that in then you will automatically get to the "money making level". Not so......

But do you even understand what that "money making level" was?? It was was Perez's Transatlantic Superleague that would contain five North American clubs (TWP Ottawa, NY, Montreal, Vancouver at last check) and thus be attractive to NATV who would give us £500Million pound TV deals rather than SKY's £200 Million TV deals. 

And that was the "Money making level".

But what the thread is about is how hard Superleague resisted TWP entering the league, openly saying they didn't want them, nor any other phoney big city clubs. In the end they had to honour an agreement to allow P&R this year so they got stuck with Argylle's TWP  but not before reported "angry exchanges" between chairmen.

What McDermott is reflecting on is that Superleague's resistance to going Transatlantic means there will actually be no "money making level" as it is Superleague's stated intention to remain a largely English League, leaving TWP high and dry and facing ever growing annual massive deficits. Superleague's intention is to take another smaller english SKY deal in 2022 leaving TWP, Ottawa and the rest high and dry.

Which some people think is why Perez is getting on board with Bradford, which is a good shout. That begs the question that if McDermott is basically waving the white flag and moaning TWP have hit a dead end then what will Argylle do - will he come to London in 2022?

I think that's a far more real world scenario, and would be a fabulous boost to the game here with Argyle and Perez working for  European Rugby League instead of working against it.

1 hour ago, The Parksider said:

(1) The thread isn't about a big city international league at all. Go back to the first posts and it's Smudger and MOK taking the mickey out of McDermott whose been sent out to moan about Superleague's resistance to all this North American expansion nonsense. Every time these phoney clubs get mentioned people are immediately off inventing all sorts of nonsense about the riches it will bring our game, and when they get pulled on the reality that outside the M62 nobody much cares enough to engage, they are somehow outraged!

(2) Again I agree with you. The basic business plan is invest money, go into debt, but use that money to grow the assets and the income and in the end make back more than the original investment.

But what you and everyone else completely miss (which is why I take people's self published Marketing and Business CV's with a massive pinch of salt) is that around half of all businesses fail in the first five years.  You just seem to assume if you have the investment and put that in then you will automatically get to the "money making level". Not so......

But do you even understand what that "money making level" was?? It was was Perez's Transatlantic Superleague that would contain five North American clubs (TWP Ottawa, NY, Montreal, Vancouver at last check) and thus be attractive to NATV who would give us £500Million pound TV deals rather than SKY's £200 Million TV deals. 

And that was the "Money making level".

But what the thread is about is how hard Superleague resisted TWP entering the league, openly saying they didn't want them, nor any other phoney big city clubs. In the end they had to honour an agreement to allow P&R this year so they got stuck with Argylle's TWP  but not before reported "angry exchanges" between chairmen.

What McDermott is reflecting on is that Superleague's resistance to going Transatlantic means there will actually be no "money making level" as it is Superleague's stated intention to remain a largely English League, leaving TWP high and dry and facing ever growing annual massive deficits. Superleague's intention is to take another smaller english SKY deal in 2022 leaving TWP, Ottawa and the rest high and dry.

Which some people think is why Perez is getting on board with Bradford, which is a good shout. That begs the question that if McDermott is basically waving the white flag and moaning TWP have hit a dead end then what will Argylle do - will he come to London in 2022?

I think that's a far more real world scenario, and would be a fabulous boost to the game here with Argyle and Perez working for  European Rugby League instead of working against it.

2MfhRj3.jpg

I have Parky on ignore but it doesn't really matter as all his increasingly nonsensical rants are quoted anyway, so I can have a laugh.

But the poor guy really is losing it. 

12 minutes ago, SL17 said:

If you have him on ignore, then at least respect your own wishes and stop commenting on him.. 

Most of you only have him on ignore because you can’t answer him.

Yet another useless post.

Well, you can see how it goes when we di answer him.

I'd say yours' and CR's posts were of equal usefulness.

54 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

No doubt equally useful but also equally funny!

I love Parky posts about Toronto, he has been wrong 100% of the time over the past three + years but continues to try.

Good Kid, Tries Hard, Runs with Scissors! Hahahaha

48 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Feel free to debate at any point. As for having anyone on ignore and then comment against them is pure trolling.

48 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Feel free to debate at any point. As for having anyone on ignore and then comment against them is pure trolling.

I have just spent the last half-hour writing a long and wordy reply to you.

Then I erased it all. It would have been deleted, and possibly got me banned. And you wouldn't have got any of it anyway, so why bother? You just aren't worth it.

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

I for one enjoy reading Parky's contributions. However you do see that many answer only to be ignored.

As for can't answer him, when was the last time Parky provided a direct source or link to back up his opinion pieces?

2 hours ago, Omott91 said:

I for one enjoy reading Parky's contributions. However you do see that many answer only to be ignored.

As for can't answer him, when was the last time Parky provided a direct source or link to back up his opinion pieces?

ambiguous

dubious

equivocal

faint

fuzzy

hazy

imprecise

Out of date

Bygone

outmoded

nebulous

obscure

But other than that he's a right good laugh!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 hours ago, TheReaper said:

As are yours when discussing Toronto's ' deficit ' , because you essentially refuse to admit they have one , similarily Big Picture refusing to answer my request for a NA style sporting system that has worked outside NA ? 

Parksider does repeat himself quite simply because his questions aren't answered , just because these claims were made by somebody who left the club shortly after doesn't mean they can be ignored , they were made on behalf of the Toronto club , they remain with them , not the person saying the words 

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

If you have him on ignore, then at least respect your own wishes and stop commenting on him.. 

Yet another useless post.

we can, we do, he ignores the answer (and the actual facts) so its just continuing on the politeness he shows us, 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Parksider does repeat himself quite simply because his questions aren't answered , just because these claims were made by somebody who left the club shortly after doesn't mean they can be ignored , they were made on behalf of the Toronto club , they remain with them , not the person saying the words 

That is just not true. His questions have been answered by various posters for years. They also consist of spurious arguments with little base and/or take events way out of context. Also it's quite pretentious to think that he owns a thread to demand his questions are answered like you suggest. Very few other posters post like that and instead post in the context of the discussion, not constantly trying to derail it.

When does he answer questions raised by others or engage in debate? Never. I have seen various posters on this thread try to do this and he never does. Repeating yourself ad nauseum, usually completely out of the context of the thread or discussion, is not debating. It's trolling.

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

As are yours when discussing Toronto's ' deficit ' , because you essentially refuse to admit they have one , similarily Big Picture refusing to answer my request for a NA style sporting system that has worked outside NA ? 

That is simply untrue.

I answered his questions for years and he claimed I had not. I am not going to persevere as I am not that stupid.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

11 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

That is simply untrue.

I answered his questions for years and he claimed I had not. I am not going to persevere as I am not that stupid.

its similar to the old saying about arguing with an idiot (though i dont think he is an idiot as such).. they beat you down to their level then win with experience.. he just repeats and repeats until you cannot be bothered anymore and then thinks he has won because you cant be *rsed to argue the same point over and over and over again.

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I did answer you: the NRL and AFL are both very successful in Australia using what has evolved into a franchise model.  The AFL has even had two franchises move, South Melbourne to Sydney and later Fitzroy to Brisbane.  When the AFL began in 1897 as the VFL, it was a closed shop involving eight VFA clubs VFA breaking away and starting their own league and later it expanded gradually, another parallel to the North American model.

5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

That's not true at all. I openly admitted they have a deficit.  It doesn't ###### matter that they have one, because of course they have one, for reasons I've gone over more than once. 

They don't have a debt because they don't have to pay it back to anyone. 

Archived