Brian McDermott's Big City Team League

5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

As are yours when discussing Toronto's ' deficit ' , because you essentially refuse to admit they have one , similarily Big Picture refusing to answer my request for a NA style sporting system that has worked outside NA ? 

Parksider does repeat himself quite simply because his questions aren't answered , just because these claims were made by somebody who left the club shortly after doesn't mean they can be ignored , they were made on behalf of the Toronto club , they remain with them , not the person saying the words 

Do you have any proof at all?...ANYTHING?....that backs up your statement that Toronto is losing money?.....ANYTHING AT ALL WILL SUFFICE.  

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, TheReaper said:

That's not true at all. I openly admitted they have a deficit.  It doesn't ###### matter that they have one, because of course they have one, for reasons I've gone over more than once. 

They don't have a debt because they don't have to pay it back to anyone. 

Which is why I asked you to give your opinion on what their deficit might be after 3 years ? , But it seems you must have missed that one 

10 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

As are yours when discussing Toronto's ' deficit ' , because you essentially refuse to admit they have one , similarily Big Picture refusing to answer my request for a NA style sporting system that has worked outside NA ? 

Parksider does repeat himself quite simply because his questions aren't answered , just because these claims were made by somebody who left the club shortly after doesn't mean they can be ignored , they were made on behalf of the Toronto club , they remain with them , not the person saying the words 

A farmer ploughs the soil in the early spring, plants the seeds, fertilizes the soil, tends the shoots, feeding and applying pesticides to protect the young plants, watering the land daily and eventually reaps the harvest in the autumn. For all but the last few days of the growing season, he is in deficit.

This is natures way.

Living by this natural law, is not a source of shame or embarrassment.

We are all eternally grateful to the farmer that he can be bothered to lay out his seed corn and tend the soil for months and months without any certainty that he will reap a reward. Some crops fail, disasterously but thankfully most survive and flourish.

If our farmers were subjected to the relentless tirade of abuse and scorn you envious fu.......ers heap on Toronto, we'd all starve to death.

Its a bloody good thing that farmers don't take advice from people too fearful to do anything without a guarantee of success before they would risk laying out a few bob.

People who are afraid to take a risk are invariably dependent on those who will and do.

Unwilling to admit that to anyone (but themselves,) they despise the entrepreneur, the risk taker, the achiever, the successful.

This is the nature of envy.

It is Parksider's modus operandi.

He is seething with hate, towards anyone who can do, what he (and his allies) have failed to do or are (far more likely) too terrified to try.

So no need to put him on ignore, just be aware of the nature of the beast(s) you are dealing with and treat his insults with the contempt they deserve. 

11 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

A farmer ploughs the soil in the early spring, plants the seeds, fertilizes the soil, tends the shoots, feeding and applying pesticides to protect the young plants, watering the land daily and eventually reaps the harvest in the autumn. For all but the last few days of the growing season, he is in deficit.

This is natures way.

We are all eternally grateful to the farmer that he can be bothered to lay out his seed corn and tend the soil for months and months without any certainty that he will reap a reward. Some crops fail, disasterously but thankfully most survive and flourish.

If our farmers were subjected to the relentless tirade of abuse and scorn you envious fu.......ers heap on Toronto, we'd all starve to death.

Its a bloody good thing that farmers don't take advice from people too fearful to do anything without a guarantee of success before they would risk laying out a few bob.

People who are afraid to take a risk are invariably dependent on those who will and do.

Unwilling to admit that to anyone (but themselves,) they despise the entrepreneur, the risk taker, the achiever, the successful.

He is seething with hate, towards anyone who can do, what he (and his allies) have failed to do or are (far more likely) too terrified to try.

So no need to put him on ignore, just be aware of the nature of the beast(s) you are dealing with and treat his insults with the contempt they deserve. 

Yes but , it is the constant references to how clever they are in business terms and how many existing clubs could learn from them ? , There is a bit of a contradiction there , wouldn't you say ? 

As for the rest of your suggestions about being afraid to take risks business side I don't know Parksiders background , so cannot comment , myself personally certainly has , and had successes and failures along the way , my actual personal ' mantra ' is a poem by Edgar Guest , best termed as ' somebody said ' , read that and you might have a better understanding of my opinions 

9 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

How would anyone know?

It could be anything. 

Airtransat could cover all transport costs, the halls etc being used for accommodation could be a few thousands. Let's guess 2.5m for players, coaches etc, 500k say for the tv coverage, sweetheart deal from the council for the use of lamport. 

Could they be turning over £3-3.5m in sponsorship, merch sales, ticket sales? Maybe. Then there is no deficit.

Could they be losing £5m a year? Possibly.

But, even if they are losing £5m a year, that's a drop in the ocean to a billionaire. 

It's called an opinion , it was his I asked for , and yes I and indeed Parky has pointed that out many many times 

So in your opinion ( which you do like to express ) what do you think their deficit currently might be ? 

I know we could start a club ( not a team ) where we all write irrelevant reams and reams, epics on a grand scale about new clubs for at least a month and quote lots of chairman who don't know they're in a box let alone think outside one. We can make nebulous statements ad infinitum that have only loose connections to the truth, reality or planet TGG. We should complain constantly and repetitiously about what each new team has failed to achieve, deliver and or generally not done in their five minutes of existence and quote journos whose writing is superglued to a flat cap in winter and trapped inside a handkerchief knotted in the corners for Summer.Then when people ask us any questions or for clarification we can simply repeat what we said again only make the post longer.

For those of you who need a model Colin Welland's stuff on Rugby League being quarried from the granite of the Pennines; hewn from Northern coal faces would be a good start. (written just before he was seen in the good seats at Twickers those words so they must be true!)

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, fighting irish said:

This is natures way.

Right on!  It's a case of "those who can't - preach"

54 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It's called an opinion , it was his I asked for , and yes I and indeed Parky has pointed that out many many times 

So in your opinion ( which you do like to express ) what do you think their deficit currently might be ? 

They are in surplus.

2 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Just remind everyone how much TWP are paying Ricky Leutele?

Its not how much is coming out that is important; its how much is coming in.....in Canada we call this a 'balance sheet' and a 'surplus' means more is coming in than going out...TWP is in surplus...we have one billion Aussie dollars coming in...what Ricky makes (going out) is literally peanuts compared to this.

Simple math.

8 hours ago, Big Picture said:

I did answer you: the NRL and AFL are both very successful in Australia using what has evolved into a franchise model.  The AFL has even had two franchises move, South Melbourne to Sydney and later Fitzroy to Brisbane.  When the AFL began in 1897 as the VFL, it was a closed shop involving eight VFA clubs VFA breaking away and starting their own league and later it expanded gradually, another parallel to the North American model.

But , neither are similar to the NA model of national coverage with 1 or 2 clubs at most based in any given city , half the AFL are from Melbourne and almost half the NRL are from Sydney , complete nonsense , so again point me in the direction of a NA type of competition that has been successful outside NA ?

33 minutes ago, SL17 said:

807,264.00 Canadian Dollar per season. You have to fill the lamport four times with 10000 just to pay his wages.

Not a problem...we pack her for every game....just one sponsorship will easily cover that small wage...do you not  have any idea how much Canadian Diamonds give in sponsorship?....any idea whatsoever?

40 minutes ago, SL17 said:

807,264.00 Canadian Dollar per season. You have to fill the lamport four times with 10000 just to pay his wages.

And he's worth every penny of it!

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Which is why I asked you to give your opinion on what their deficit might be after 3 years ? , But it seems you must have missed that one 

I answered you here.

The deficit is a number that they are comfortable with. 

It's a number that isn't super big in the world of professional sports.

It's a number that I'm not going to guess a numerical value for because I, and frankly nobody outside the organization,  has nowhere  nearly enough information to even come close. 

It's a number that does not matter

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

But , neither are similar to the NA model of national coverage with 1 or 2 clubs at most based in any given city , half the AFL are from Melbourne and almost half the NRL are from Sydney , complete nonsense , so again point me in the direction of a NA type of competition that has been successful outside NA ?

Not to mention they are certainly clubs, not franchises, with all the self interest and infighting that goes with a League composed of Clubs. 

4 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Kontinental Hockey League? EuroLeague basketball? Depends on your definition of success, but I'm not entirely sure SL is a success either.

18 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Parksider does repeat himself quite simply because his questions aren't answered 

I got no real answers for a couple of years with Bob8 leading the insult and ignore campaign.

You just can't beat free speech and respect for others opinions can you!!

23 hours ago, SL17 said:

If you have him on ignore, then at least respect your own wishes and stop commenting on him.Most of you only have him on ignore because you can’t answer him.

I suppose I can try again thanks to you guys, let me see......

Question One  Mr. Perez was clear the production of quality players was a must to be able to expand the game. He started Canada RL in 2010 to foster organised clubs and leagues with no real lasting success. When he started TWP in 2016 he switched to converting grid iron players with no success at all, and now McDermott is being very candid that there’s not going to be any North American players probably not in his lifetime. Nobby was sniffing around the Canada RU team recently and drew a blank.

Looks like they don’t play RL in Canada and never will, so how can this be "expansion"?

Question two. That tiny problem aside another unanswered question is NATV money Mr. Perez said was vital to expand the game there. The Clubs here can’t share theirs as there is barely enough from SKY to keep them going. There was according to Mr. Perez the opportunity for a massive North American TV deal, but it had to feature five to six North American clubs in SL and there just aren’t the players to stock all these clubs unless you shut down clubs here and take their players. However McDermott has further put a nail in the coffin of any NATV deal by taking this point further. Even if there were the extra players North American TV would not be interested in screening northern English Industrial towns like St.Helens (glass) Hull (Fisheries) Huddersfield (textiles) Castleford (mining and glass) Wigan (pies) Wire (wire) etc etc etc.

Looks like NATV  don't want to pay big money to Televise NA clubs if it's in a league half full of unheard of Northern English Industrial towns.  So how can this be "expansion"?

Question three If TWP hasn't stimulated any real expansion of  the playing of the game and the TV sponsorship of the game then what is the point of New York or Ottawa?? Why keep repeating the original mistake of wasting £Millions and £Millions of hard cash on a charade with no financial return just big losses?

Here is post for those who claim parky never gets answered. 

Expansion can have many different meanings. Just because you have chosen to focus on two factors does not make you correct. My definition and many others of expansion include the following. 

More people playing the game 

More money invested in the game 

More sponsorship 

New timezone for broadcasters

More media outlets reporting on the game 

More fans 

New fans attending for the first time 

3 hours ago, The Parksider said:

how can this be "expansion"?

Wire (wire) 

At least I realised why they're called the ''wire." I've finally learnt something from your posts. 

6 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

Super Rugby ?

Finally , this was /is the one I was waiting for , however apart from the Sunwolves , the actual sport was/is already well established in all the areas that SR play in , Big Pictures ' Big Picture ' and Mr McDermotts plan is to go to completely virgin territories 

6 hours ago, ojx said:

Kontinental Hockey League? EuroLeague basketball? Depends on your definition of success, but I'm not entirely sure SL is a success either.

I'll investigate those a bit later on , I have no knowledge of them whatsoever 

5 hours ago, The Parksider said:

I got no real answers for a couple of years with Bob8 leading the insult and ignore campaign.

You just can't beat free speech and respect for others opinions can you!!

I suppose I can try again thanks to you guys, let me see......

Question One  Mr. Perez was clear the production of quality players was a must to be able to expand the game. He started Canada RL in 2010 to foster organised clubs and leagues with no real lasting success. When he started TWP in 2016 he switched to converting grid iron players with no success at all, and now McDermott is being very candid that there’s not going to be any North American players probably not in his lifetime. Nobby was sniffing around the Canada RU team recently and drew a blank.

Looks like they don’t play RL in Canada and never will, so how can this be "expansion"?

Question two. That tiny problem aside another unanswered question is NATV money Mr. Perez said was vital to expand the game there. The Clubs here can’t share theirs as there is barely enough from SKY to keep them going. There was according to Mr. Perez the opportunity for a massive North American TV deal, but it had to feature five to six North American clubs in SL and there just aren’t the players to stock all these clubs unless you shut down clubs here and take their players. However McDermott has further put a nail in the coffin of any NATV deal by taking this point further. Even if there were the extra players North American TV would not be interested in screening northern English Industrial towns like St.Helens (glass) Hull (Fisheries) Huddersfield (textiles) Castleford (mining and glass) Wigan (pies) Wire (wire) etc etc etc.

Looks like NATV  don't want to pay big money to Televise NA clubs if it's in a league half full of unheard of Northern English Industrial towns.  So how can this be "expansion"?

Question three If TWP hasn't stimulated any real expansion of  the playing of the game and the TV sponsorship of the game then what is the point of New York or Ottawa?? Why keep repeating the original mistake of wasting £Millions and £Millions of hard cash on a charade with no financial return just big losses?

Wigan ( pies ) ?

18 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

On the contrary in case you didn't know the AFL does have national coverage.  The distribution of AFL and NRL clubs which you describe reflects the population distribution in Australia (their population is heavily concentrated in the capital cities of their six "states") and the unique situation of two different and rival types of football dominating in different parts of the country, RL in NSW and Queensland and Aussie Rules in the rest of Australia.  Soccer's A-League is a more exact match to the situation in North America, it has national coverage with at most 1 or 2 clubs in any one city.

1 minute ago, Big Picture said:

On the contrary in case you didn't know the AFL does have national coverage.  The distribution of AFL and NRL clubs which you describe reflects the population distribution in Australia (their population is heavily concentrated in the capital cities of their six "states") and the unique situation of two different and rival types of football dominating in different parts of the country, RL in NSW and Queensland and Aussie Rules in the rest of Australia.  Soccer's A-League is a more exact match to the situation in North America, it has national coverage with at most 1 or 2 clubs in any one city.

Yes I know it has national coverage , but NA franchise leagues of the kind you suggest don't have 50% of their teams in one city , and again with your A league suggestion , soccer has been and is played throughout Australia for decades , but you suggest going to places nobody plays a sport ( like Toronto ) and plonking full time pro clubs there 

Please stop acting stupid , you obviously aren't 

14 hours ago, ojx said:

Kontinental Hockey has had several clubs with financial issues drop out , it is still primarily a Russian competition ( they have different rules to the rest ) , and the non Russian clubs must have some ' home ' players , not sure if thes clubs have had to pay for the privilege of joining , but I will accept it is a ' sort ' of similar system 

Archived