Looks like the USA is heading for another split

Pulga

Another example of how the organic start at the bottom and grow from there doesn't work in North America. Too many bureaucrats, not enough money.

The Wolfpack model is the way to success. Start up a pro team or two and go from there

13 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

Another example of how the organic start at the bottom and grow from there doesn't work in North America. Too many bureaucrats, not enough money.

The Wolfpack model is the way to success. Start up a pro team or two and go from there

Amateur sport can be an end in itself.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2019 at 20:28, TIWIT said:

Wolfpack haven't grown the game

Unhappy players. Basically a bunch of blokes who think they are a lot better than they are after running round a joke of a park comp beating teams who aren't Pennine League 9 standard. 

They're unhappy because they didn't make the final cut and are acting like spoilt kids. I don't think they understand the step up in level that they would have been faced with playing against Australia and New Zealand. I would have picked players with a professional background too.

Depends if the USA team want to reward domestic players or try to avoid total humiliation and potential serious injuries by having players play against teams they shouldn't really be on the park with.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 hour ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Unhappy players. Basically a bunch of blokes who think they are a lot better than they are after running round a joke of a park comp beating teams who aren't Pennine League 9 standard. 

They're unhappy because they didn't make the final cut and are acting like spoilt kids. I don't think they understand the step up in level that they would have been faced with playing against Australia and New Zealand. I would have picked players with a professional background too.

Depends if the USA team want to reward domestic players or try to avoid total humiliation and potential serious injuries by having players play against teams they shouldn't really be on the park with.

Sprinkle in a few of the better players from outside the US but the more domestic players the better. 

It doesn’t matter if they are thrashed. If they do the hard work on the fields in the US, let them have a crack.

In the past fully amateur US domestic players have played the world 7s, played against the Kangaroos etc without hassle.

If domestic players get a whiff of “know your place” from administrators, groups like World Rugby League will step in and cause mayhem..

7 minutes ago, Copa said:

Sprinkle in a few of the better players from outside the US but the more domestic players the better. 

It doesn’t matter if they are thrashed. If they do the hard work on the fields in the US, let them have a crack.

In the past fully amateur US domestic players have played the world 7s, played against the Kangaroos etc without hassle.

If domestic players get a whiff of “know your place” from administrators, groups like World Rugby League will step in and cause mayhem..

Fair enough, I just think there is a duty of care angle to this, as there was in the 2017 world cup when frankly it was dangerous for some of those players to be on the same field as the likes of Fiji. 

I know the guys here, particularly the one doing most of the complaining. They're good athletes and I feel for them as they were looking forward to going to Australia and playing but if the policy is to pick the best team then they have to acknowledge that and get on with it when the squad is whittled down. Some of the rhetoric is unnecessary and helps no one.

3736-mipm.gif

14 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

Wolfpack haven't grown the game

there have been 2 junior clubs in the Toronto region start up. Small acorns. And who do you think put in the finances for the Canadian mens & womens team to visit Serbia, Ravens going to Australia etc!?  They had the Wolfpack logo on their uniforms as sponsors. Also recently Toronto hosted a level 1 coaching course which was advertised by the Wolfpack so I assume they funded the coaching coordinators to come to Canada!?

3 hours ago, Heritage XIII said:

there have been 2 junior clubs in the Toronto region start up. Small acorns. And who do you think put in the finances for the Canadian mens & womens team to visit Serbia, Ravens going to Australia etc!?  They had the Wolfpack logo on their uniforms as sponsors. Also recently Toronto hosted a level 1 coaching course which was advertised by the Wolfpack so I assume they funded the coaching coordinators to come to Canada!?

And they now have 2 clubs in the orl when they use to have 5. Also those junior clubs play tag rugby and they play against union teams as well. Also how many coaches have been certified since the pack arrived? The game is not growing in Toronto. Unless you classify that Oktoberfest in wolfpack games as growth then you'll be satisfied with anything. I actually want to see more people playing our sport. There are less people playing rugby league now in Toronto than there were 5 years ago those are the facts!

1 hour ago, Themusician_2 said:

And they now have 2 clubs in the orl when they use to have 5. Also those junior clubs play tag rugby and they play against union teams as well. Also how many coaches have been certified since the pack arrived? The game is not growing in Toronto. Unless you classify that Oktoberfest in wolfpack games as growth then you'll be satisfied with anything. I actually want to see more people playing our sport. There are less people playing rugby league now in Toronto than there were 5 years ago those are the facts!

you know this how? Please tell us? The local ORL is rebuilding by their own admission & the fact clubs collapsed had nothing to do with the Wolfpack but clubs starting with no substance, lack of volunteers which coaching clinics are addressing. I'm sure the growth will start to build and there is nothing wrong with introducing Canadians to tag version of our game. Even in places like Australia tag is a useful tool for growth in the tackle version of the game. Even union is having issues with the tackle version of the game with the education minister of one of the provinces apparently banning the sport in the school system because of the danger factor.

53 minutes ago, Heritage XIII said:

you know this how? Please tell us? The local ORL is rebuilding by their own admission & the fact clubs collapsed had nothing to do with the Wolfpack but clubs starting with no substance, lack of volunteers which coaching clinics are addressing. I'm sure the growth will start to build and there is nothing wrong with introducing Canadians to tag version of our game. Even in places like Australia tag is a useful tool for growth in the tackle version of the game. Even union is having issues with the tackle version of the game with the education minister of one of the provinces apparently banning the sport in the school system because of the danger factor.

No I'm not saying its the woflpacks fault for the decline of rugby league in Toronto I'm telling you it's a myth the game is growing in Toronto. As I said there are less people playing the game now than there was 5 years ago in Toronto.  I don't care that RU is dying Canada that can only be good for league.

2 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

As I said there are less people playing the game now than there was 5 years ago in Toronto.  I don't care that RU is dying Canada that can only be good for league.

But there never really was 4 (not 5) clubs worth of guys when there were 4 clubs in the competition. Numbers were always short with anybody available on the sideline wanting more game time throwing on a jersey to make up the numbers. So I don't think there's a huge amount of difference between really stretching for 4 clubs or having 2 solid ones.

Also, your last statement is awfully short sighted. You need to look at the reasons that RU is going through a decline in numbers. The biggest reasons are decline is sports participation overall, increased concerns about head injuries in contact sports, and not a huge future potential compared to the mainstream sports. None of those factors are good things for RL.

7 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

But there never really was 4 (not 5) clubs worth of guys when there were 4 clubs in the competition. Numbers were always short with anybody available on the sideline wanting more game time throwing on a jersey to make up the numbers. So I don't think there's a huge amount of difference between really stretching for 4 clubs or having 2 solid ones.

Also, your last statement is awfully short sighted. You need to look at the reasons that RU is going through a decline in numbers. The biggest reasons are decline is sports participation overall, increased concerns about head injuries in contact sports, and not a huge future potential compared to the mainstream sports. None of those factors are good things for RL.

I'm saying union dying is good for league look at the places where union is dead like Australia, RL is flourishing.

20 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Fair enough, I just think there is a duty of care angle to this, as there was in the 2017 world cup when frankly it was dangerous for some of those players to be on the same field as the likes of Fiji. 

I know the guys here, particularly the one doing most of the complaining. They're good athletes and I feel for them as they were looking forward to going to Australia and playing but if the policy is to pick the best team then they have to acknowledge that and get on with it when the squad is whittled down. Some of the rhetoric is unnecessary and helps no one.

hate to "cross code" it but look where RU was with thrashings etc in the world cups of mid 90s and where they are now.. there are less 80-100 pointers and some of those thrashed teams are starting to beat others (Japan is a good example).. if you let them play they can develop.. 

1 hour ago, RP London said:

hate to "cross code" it but look where RU was with thrashings etc in the world cups of mid 90s and where they are now.. there are less 80-100 pointers and some of those thrashed teams are starting to beat others (Japan is a good example).. if you let them play they can develop.. 

RU also flings huge amounts of money at qualified teams so they can be 'competitive' come tournament time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Those emerging RU teams also get as many heritage players in as possible to be competitive. I'd also suggest that RL is a lot more physical than RU which presents another problem.

3736-mipm.gif

4 hours ago, Themusician_2 said:

No I'm not saying its the woflpacks fault for the decline of rugby league in Toronto I'm telling you it's a myth the game is growing in Toronto. As I said there are less people playing the game now than there was 5 years ago in Toronto.  I don't care that RU is dying Canada that can only be good for league.

And 5 years ago 99.9% of the local populace didn't know rugby league existed. Now 1000s turn out for games and TWP have been all over the local media.

2 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Those emerging RU teams also get as many heritage players in as possible to be competitive. I'd also suggest that RL is a lot more physical than RU which presents another problem.

You say that but teams like Uruguay hardly have any

2 hours ago, TIWIT said:

And 5 years ago 99.9% of the local populace didn't know rugby league existed. Now 1000s turn out for games and TWP have been all over the local media.

Depends what you'd classify as growth having an Oktoberfest with people constantly walking around during the match with a rugby league game in the middle or having people play the sport. I'd go for the latter.

Nobody plays a game they've never heard of, let alone seen.

Without people paying to see those games, clubs are going to go under.

Without those the game will be nothing but a bunch of amateurs running around on a field for the amusement of family and friends.

Archived