New Assistant Coach

Therein73

Jack Howieson..... Ex-Sheffield with some coaching experience at Hemel...... So that's a combination of ex-back and ex-forward as our coaching team.... 

Welcome on board Jack -- hope you can bring that 'something extra' to the party !!!    Improved discipline & cutting out silly penalties will do for a start ?

Any thoughts anybody ???

43 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

Jack Howieson..... Ex-Sheffield with some coaching experience at Hemel...... So that's a combination of ex-back and ex-forward as our coaching team.... 

Welcome on board Jack -- hope you can bring that 'something extra' to the party !!!    Improved discipline & cutting out silly penalties will do for a start ?

Any thoughts anybody ???

Guess all we can do is keep an open mind. By and large, our track record over the last two decades regarding coaching staff has hardly left the present incumbents with huge boots to fill has it ? Hopefully they'll be able to do a similar job to the coaching staff at York.  I'd hoped we might have got somebody with a few good contacts on board though.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

6 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

Guess all we can do is keep an open mind. By and large, our track record over the last two decades regarding coaching staff has hardly left the present incumbents with huge boots to fill has it ? Hopefully they'll be able to do a similar job to the coaching staff at York.  I'd hoped we might have got somebody with a few good contacts on board though.

Such as?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

10 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Such as?

Damned if I know - but then I'm not the head coach. :kolobok_smile3:

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

11 minutes ago, grumpyoldram said:

Damned if I know - but then I'm not the head coach. :kolobok_smile3:

So you don't know what kind of contacts JH and LG already have? ?

For what it's worth Lee's contacts allowed us to sign Joe Martin and Tom Garratt - not too shabby so far, don't you think?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

8 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

So you don't know what kind of contacts JH and LG already have? ?

For what it's worth Lee's contacts allowed us to sign Joe Martin and Tom Garratt - not too shabby so far, don't you think?

Fair point. Who do you think JH might tempt over ?

George Bernard Shaw.

2 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Sheffield are releasing a few players,Jason Crookes is among them, so we’ll have to wait and see.

Oh no !!   :kolobok_nea:

George Bernard Shaw.

Is it just me, maybe slightly off topic, but we will back in training in maybe 3 weeks time. We are coming back in 2019/2020 on the back of, let's be honest, a shocking season. We just managed to survive. Certain posters on this forum constantly had a pop at our last coach for leaving a sinking ship and giving the club very little time to appoint a new coach and assemble a competitive squad for the coming season. I seem to remember that outgoing coach making his intentions clear prior to our last match. Our new set up has the benefit of a coach who has had the benefit of a full season. I see no temptation at the moment to tempt me in to parting with any of my hard earned income for what may be in store for next season. We have been notified of players leaving and the odd re signing. I have seen a lot of info being released by other clubs as to new signings, plans etc. Come on Dewsbury Rams  give us some encouragement to look forward to next year and whet our appetites. Not particularly interested in a new assistant coach with no track record. Time will tell. I want the club to attract me for the forthcoming season. The opportunity is there. Let's get moving. 

I must admit , although Tuesdays and Fridays are becoming my favourite time of the week I would much prefer a full list . This is who we got . This is who is leaving . This is who has offers and yet to agree . Then just let us know when people sign . I would be more tempted to buy my season ticket if I knew who I was going to watch !! 

This social media thing is a great idea . If we had 100'000 followers but we don't .just  Let us know who will play in the red amber and black. 

4 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

Fair point. Who do you think JH might tempt over ?

I have about as much idea as you GOR, possibly even less.

We are both from the Tom Clarke generation however - when you need to know, we'll tell you!

2 hours ago, youngun said:

Is it just me, maybe slightly off topic, but we will back in training in maybe 3 weeks time. We are coming back in 2019/2020 on the back of, let's be honest, a shocking season. We just managed to survive. Certain posters on this forum constantly had a pop at our last coach for leaving a sinking ship and giving the club very little time to appoint a new coach and assemble a competitive squad for the coming season. I seem to remember that outgoing coach making his intentions clear prior to our last match. Our new set up has the benefit of a coach who has had the benefit of a full season. I see no temptation at the moment to tempt me in to parting with any of my hard earned income for what may be in store for next season. We have been notified of players leaving and the odd re signing. I have seen a lot of info being released by other clubs as to new signings, plans etc. Come on Dewsbury Rams  give us some encouragement to look forward to next year and whet our appetites. Not particularly interested in a new assistant coach with no track record. Time will tell. I want the club to attract me for the forthcoming season. The opportunity is there. Let's get moving. 

Sorry, but you must have a short memory. The last season under the Messiah, NK, was equally dire yet with more opportunity to plan than last year. He stated that he needed a much bigger budget, which we simply couldn't afford. LG was green and had a lot to learn; we were late into the market thanks to the coaching situation; and we all acknowledged that it would be a season for survival, nothing more. LG achieved that.

In 2020 we are all expecting much more, although against a backdrop of unequal resources throughout the league: a simple fact no matter how some might rail against it. We will not be challenging for promotion (sorry if this disappoints); we are unlikely to be pushing for top five, although it must remain as an aspiration; we are all hoping for more exciting football and stimulating results, mixed as we know with occasional disasters.

My personal view is that the squad is building slowly but strategically, with individual players being identified and recruited according to the coach's plans. There are many gaps that we, and LG, would like to see filled. As he said at the fans' forum it may take some time to get the players that we want but we won't be panicked into signing those who won't fit into the strategy. I am more than happy to place my trust in the coach that MS has identified as our best fit, and would expect others to be the same. Looking around other clubs with similar budgets and I don't see any real difference, or am I a Pollyanna?

Where each of us spends our own money is entirely the individuals choice and should be respected, but I hope that the club wins back your confidence before the start of the next season. I confidently expect to enjoy this next season more than 2019, and you can hold me to task on that next year.

21 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Sorry, but you must have a short memory. The last season under the Messiah, NK, was equally dire yet with more opportunity to plan than last year. He stated that he needed a much bigger budget, which we simply couldn't afford. LG was green and had a lot to learn; we were late into the market thanks to the coaching situation; and we all acknowledged that it would be a season for survival, nothing more. LG achieved that.

In 2020 we are all expecting much more, although against a backdrop of unequal resources throughout the league: a simple fact no matter how some might rail against it. We will not be challenging for promotion (sorry if this disappoints); we are unlikely to be pushing for top five, although it must remain as an aspiration; we are all hoping for more exciting football and stimulating results, mixed as we know with occasional disasters.

My personal view is that the squad is building slowly but strategically, with individual players being identified and recruited according to the coach's plans. There are many gaps that we, and LG, would like to see filled. As he said at the fans' forum it may take some time to get the players that we want but we won't be panicked into signing those who won't fit into the strategy. I am more than happy to place my trust in the coach that MS has identified as our best fit, and would expect others to be the same. Looking around other clubs with similar budgets and I don't see any real difference, or am I a Pollyanna?

Where each of us spends our own money is entirely the individuals choice and should be respected, but I hope that the club wins back your confidence before the start of the next season. I confidently expect to enjoy this next season more than 2019, and you can hold me to task on that next year.

"Sorry, but you must have a short memory. The last season under the Messiah, NK, was equally dire yet with more opportunity to plan than last year. He stated that he needed a much bigger budget, which we simply couldn't afford. LG was green and had a lot to learn; we were late into the market thanks to the coaching situation; and we all acknowledged that it would be a season for survival, nothing more. LG achieved that."

Sorry BSJ youv'e missed the point surely. Last year we couldn't plan because, as you say, the Messiah gave us little time. LG has had a full season and we are now going back into training shortly. We currently have a small squad with no information coming forward as to how it is going to be strengthened. LG has had plenty of time this season and has had plenty of time to go into the market to strengthen it , do you agree?  The squad we currently have is no stronger than we had last year. It needs to take shape quickly to encourage us all to have your enthusiasm. 

I suspect that most of the squad have been identified and signed already ..... and the drip feed communication is a strategy to increase interest and social media following!!   However in the interest of season ticket sales we could do with a marquee type back signing announced!!  Annakin is a great signing for the forwards now we need to hear of a similar quality signing in the backs .... then get on with the drip feed of re-signings!! 

1 hour ago, the old nine ole said:

I suspect that most of the squad have been identified and signed already ..... and the drip feed communication is a strategy to increase interest and social media following!!   However in the interest of season ticket sales we could do with a marquee type back signing announced!!  Annakin is a great signing for the forwards now we need to hear of a similar quality signing in the backs .... then get on with the drip feed of re-signings!! 

I don’t foresee a ‘marquee’ (hate the use of that word here-it’s a big tent after all) signing and that player, I suggest, is Annakin. We should remember that we are on a lower budget (again), so no more big names to come to us, but I live in hope. 

I am a Dewsbury supporter so I will be getting a season ticket, no matter which players we have or get. I still might grumble about some though. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

1 hour ago, Crown Flatter said:

I don’t foresee a ‘marquee’ (hate the use of that word here-it’s a big tent after all) signing and that player, I suggest, is Annakin. We should remember that we are on a lower budget (again), so no more big names to come to us, but I live in hope. 

I am a Dewsbury supporter so I will be getting a season ticket, no matter which players we have or get. I still might grumble about some though. 

Not just a tent!!

A marquee asset (also referred to as a "flagship asset" or "crown jewel") is a company's most prized advantage, one that is a highly visible symbol of its success and often the biggest contributor to its bottom line.

Incidentally I also will be getting my season ticket come what may!!

1 hour ago, the old nine ole said:

Not just a tent!!

A marquee asset (also referred to as a "flagship asset" or "crown jewel") is a company's most prized advantage, one that is a highly visible symbol of its success and often the biggest contributor to its bottom line.

Incidentally I also will be getting my season ticket come what may!!

But usually a big tent.... what's tonight's big announcement, a new coat of paint in the bogs?

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

On 10/10/2019 at 13:33, Piggy's mate said:

But usually a big tent.... what's tonight's big announcement, a new coat of paint in the bogs?

You would just be jealous if it was.

On 09/10/2019 at 20:36, youngun said:

"Sorry, but you must have a short memory. The last season under the Messiah, NK, was equally dire yet with more opportunity to plan than last year. He stated that he needed a much bigger budget, which we simply couldn't afford. LG was green and had a lot to learn; we were late into the market thanks to the coaching situation; and we all acknowledged that it would be a season for survival, nothing more. LG achieved that."

Sorry BSJ youv'e missed the point surely. Last year we couldn't plan because, as you say, the Messiah gave us little time. LG has had a full season and we are now going back into training shortly. We currently have a small squad with no information coming forward as to how it is going to be strengthened. LG has had plenty of time this season and has had plenty of time to go into the market to strengthen it , do you agree?  The squad we currently have is no stronger than we had last year. It needs to take shape quickly to encourage us all to have your enthusiasm. 

Seeing as the Championship season only ended last week and players' contracts are still valid until the end of October I see no need for panic. I do understand that some people's eyes are cast towards other clubs making announcements of star signings, but I haven't seen that in any with which we could reasonably compare. And I do believe that the squad we currently have is of greater quality than that which we had at the same time last year.

On a side note, and almost back on topic, Widnes have just announced their new coach for 2020 - Tim Sheens. Where would you class this - ambitious or foolhardy?

38 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Seeing as the Championship season only ended last week and players' contracts are still valid until the end of October I see no need for panic. I do understand that some people's eyes are cast towards other clubs making announcements of star signings, but I haven't seen that in any with which we could reasonably compare. And I do believe that the squad we currently have is of greater quality than that which we had at the same time last year.

On a side note, and almost back on topic, Widnes have just announced their new coach for 2020 - Tim Sheens. Where would you class this - ambitious or foolhardy?

ambitious...

• 2 weeks later...

I see that Rikki Sheriffe has been appointed as assistant coach at Halifax. A good move for him I reckon.

Archived