Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Oliver Clothesoff

2020 - Rugby League’s 125th Birthday

18 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’ve seen a few football teams in the past celebrate such a milestone and so, I was wondering if there were any plans afoot for the game of Rugby League celebrating this milestone? 

When it was the 100th anniversary there was supposed to have been a parade in Huddersfield featuring floats of all the clubs ... which never happened. So I doubt much will be done next year.

I'd like something like a special patch on the kits with and extra element to it for founder member clubs.

Well it's FORTY years today that I saw my first RL game, Widnes v Castleford 30-15. 

But not even a text from the RFL!!

Celebrated with maltesers.😁

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, doc said:

Well it's FORTY years today that I saw my first RL game, Widnes v Castleford 30-15. 

But not even a text from the RFL!!

Celebrated with maltesers.😁

Might be a good topic for a new thread on the forum ... "Date of your first match"

The first I remember was 2 March 1963 - Leigh v Oldham in the Challenge Cup 1st round. I was 6 then so maybe I went to some earlier games but can't specifically remember them.

Pie and peas supper should do it.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

"125 years since Rugby turned professional" - that should be the CTA. Would ruffle a few feathers in a certain place just south west of London.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Would like to see all member clubs having a patch on their shirt for 2020 with golden patches for the original member clubs, for a start. 

125 years could easily be The RFL’s marketing and advertising tool. 125 years of emotion, explosiveness, teamwork, battle etc. 

Would be a shame to see the Birthday not marked properly by clubs and organisations alike. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Would be a shame to see the Birthday not marked properly by clubs and organisations alike. 

Don't worry I'll buy you the blank Tee-shirt the RFL are bringing out for the commemoration!

“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”    

A round of games billed as the originals vs the upstarts... (or something)... its not easy as there are 7 out of the 12 teams as original teams but I am sure they could work something out.. ie 2 originals playing each other but its a symbolic match (a first round of 1895 match) etc... in heritage shirts from whenever the clubs were formed

Don't give them any ideas.

They'll make Magic weekend an '1895 event' and have all the games on that weekend played under 1895 rules.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

They should have a parade of fullbacks and wingers

Subtle - I like it.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Maybe a special cup competition named after the founding year? Play the final in the evening at Wembley, a couple of hours after the CC Final.

• Like 1

The new RFL chairman mentioned the 125th anniversary in an interview with League Express. Doesn't reveal any plans but it's clearly on their radar.

I'd like to see it commemorated with a heritage round (why we don't do this already completely baffles me), a non-halfassed, celebratory pre-game show at the Challenge Cup final, a retro England jersey for the Kangaroo tour (if it is England, not GB), and a 3-0 series win.

• Like 1