Sat 12 Oct: SLGF: Salford Red Devils v St Helens KO 6pm (TV)

Who will win?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils by 13 points or more
    • Salford Red Devils by 7 to 12 points
    • Salford Red Devils by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/10/19 at 17:00

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Win or lose it has been an absolutely fantastic season. Defence will need to be on top form again but kicking and attack will need to be more creative this time - Saints have too many weapons to be nullified by the simple but effective game plan that did for Wigan. We have scored plenty of points during the season (including a few at Saints) so have it in us. I'm just going to enjoy the occasion but hope we can edge it.

Probably a St Helens win, but with Salford, you never know!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I’ll go for the surprise result and say Saints will finally get the job done . I’m rooting for Salford , they’ve been the story of the season with last week and it’s aftermath being a joy to see , but they’ve invested a lot of emotion and energy getting this far . I feel Saints are primed and ready to send Holbrook out on a high and I’m going for a big Saints win . Hope I’m wrong mind , Salford winning would be huge for the game 

Would love to see us put in a performance and win, something we’ve never done under Holbrook in a big game. The only win we’ve had in a big game was the unconvincing win against part-time Halifax. That said, part of me doesn’t care because I just want to see us win a trophy again. 

Certainly not going to be easy against the form side in the competition at present, part of me wanted Wigan in the Final because their momentum had been ended by Salford and us. 

I hope the Salford team go out and make the panel that voted for Holbrook as coach of the season look very silly. The Saints team are easily the best in the competition and I could have coached them to the league leaders shield. Everybody outside of St. Helens knows that Ian Watson is the coach of the year. He has performed a miracle with a bunch of misfits and cast offs. I wish Saints had won the Challenge cup now because having lost it will make them more determined but, anything can happen in a one off game with this Salford team. I hope Salford don't get over awed by the occasion or go to Old Trafford thinking they have already over achieved just by getting there. They are capable of winning it. I first watched Salford in 1971 and there are many more fans still around from those days. I hope and pray with all my heart that Salford lift that trophy but, if I had to put my house on it - it would have to be Saints. Come on Salford one more big effort to become legends!

I think St Helens will win on account of their dominance and great football this season ,but remember they've been in this situation  before more than once and lost . It must be on their minds that they've been red hot favourites in GFs and this years CC final and lost . Salford have nothing to lose just go out and enjoy the occasion and play their hearts out ,give it a go. .should be a great night 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

I’ve tipped Saints to win but all season when I’ve thought Salford will lose they’ve proved me wrong time and again. The key for Salford is to play disciplined error free rugby for as long as possible. Which will crank the pressure up on Saints and probably start putting doubts in the Saints players minds. The longer this goes on the more likely Saints will be to go away from the game plan and over play. On the other side a couple of early Saints tries could take the pressure right off. 

1 hour ago, Celtic Roosters said:

I hope the Salford team go out and make the panel that voted for Holbrook as coach of the season look very silly. The Saints team are easily the best in the competition and I could have coached them to the league leaders shield. Everybody outside of St. Helens knows that Ian Watson is the coach of the year. He has performed a miracle with a bunch of misfits and cast offs. I wish Saints had won the Challenge cup now because having lost it will make them more determined but, anything can happen in a one off game with this Salford team. I hope Salford don't get over awed by the occasion or go to Old Trafford thinking they have already over achieved just by getting there. They are capable of winning it. I first watched Salford in 1971 and there are many more fans still around from those days. I hope and pray with all my heart that Salford lift that trophy but, if I had to put my house on it - it would have to be Saints. Come on Salford one more big effort to become legends!

Aside from Coote & Naquaima this is largely the same team that Cunningham had who were bumbling around in the lower half of the table each year playing the most dull, boring rugby you'll ever see, and just managing to scrape into the play-off's.

Holbrook has completely transformed this team winning the LLS in both his full seasons. He's been one of the best coaches the club has had in a long time managing to combine attacking rugby with a solid defence. The only thing missing for him really is a major trophy and after the CC disappointment I can't see past anything other than a Saints win in the GF. Instead of seeing their heads drop the CC loss seems to have spurred the players on. Their utter dominance 2 weeks ago over what was a Wigan team who had been on a long winning streak showed what they are capable of.

I have no doubt Salford will put up a really dogged display and I think it will still be fairly tight at half time, but Saints have shown plenty of times this year that they can play at their best for the full 80mins, something most other teams haven't been able to achieve.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Just now, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Genuinely not an attempt at sarcasm. He’s easily the best, for me. Glad we’re not rewarding mediocrity in Child’s, Hicks or Thaler, though one of those clowns will be the video ref, I suspect. 

Child I give you but Hicks and Thaler are fine. It’s a pity about Phil Bentham because he was the best around before he was clattered.

Surreal that Salford are actually in the GF, but this is no run of the mill Salford side, its an extremely hard working side with some real quality throughout, they have turned Warrington over 3 times this year as well as outplaying both Cas and Wigan in recent weeks, also lets not forget they should have won at Saints earlier in the season, its a serious team and absolutely in the GF on merit!

Archived