Sat 12 Oct: SLGF: Salford Red Devils v St Helens KO 6pm (TV)

Who will win?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils by 13 points or more
    • Salford Red Devils by 7 to 12 points
    • Salford Red Devils by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/10/19 at 17:00

Thaler will be disappointed not to get this. He's been on top of his game the past few weeks.

It's a disgrace Saints have been allowed to effectively rule Hicks out from refereeing them although he wouldn't deserve it on performance in any event.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Celtic Roosters said:

I hope the Salford team go out and make the panel that voted for Holbrook as coach of the season look very silly. 

The panel that is the other 11 Super League coaches?

Win or lose on Saturday, it doesn't make the decision of Holbrook being awarded coach of the year ridiculous. Nor would it have been ridiculous for Watson to have won coach of the year if Salford lose on Saturday or would have lost last week.

All the attention is on Salford this week and I think that suits us. The media all want to talk about Salford's incredible season, what Ian Watson has done, the fans stories of their first ever final (for some), Jackson Hastings, Josh Jones getting married the day after the Grand Final etc.

This has meant that the questions and scrutiny that we otherwise would have been facing about a shocking final and semi final record hasn't been there. That is fantastic for us.

Great that both sides are almost at full strength too, it will make the occasion better. Listening on TV,  the Salford fans have made such a noise in the last few weeks, the atmosphere will be brilliant.

I firmly believe that if we play to our best (like we did against Wigan) then we will win the game and that will be enough to beat Salford. But if we are even slightly off and Salford play like they did next week then they will win.

The build up has had everything a final should have. I hope we can finish the job and get our just rewards for a brilliant season.

5 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

The panel that is the other 11 Super League coaches?

Win or lose on Saturday, it doesn't make the decision of Holbrook being awarded coach of the year ridiculous. Nor would it have been ridiculous for Watson to have won coach of the year if Salford lose on Saturday or would have lost last week.

Maybe it's the motivation Salford needs to win

6 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Maybe it's the motivation Salford needs to win

I'm sure they will use it. There were quotes in the media last week about how Salford used Phil Clarke's line about them being a 'Championship team' as motivation last week.

Salford just might do this...they are playing very good rugby at the moment and I've watched their many games on You Tube.

If the Saints fall behind early they just might turtle again.

6 hours ago, CanadianRugger said:

Pulling hard for Salford though! 

Whilst I share your enthusiasm for a Salford win, they don't quite excite me that much.

Was very impressed with the job Saints did on the Pies last time out, if they play like that again then Salford may well struggle. Having said that, the Salford defence against Wigan on their last time out was very impressive so Saints may well not be allowed to play like that. Would be fantastic to witness a close and exciting GF with Salford holding on for the win or nicking it at the death. What a story that would be for our game. 

Really hoping for a Salford win both as a fitting end to the season for Ian Watson and obviously Jackson Hastings, and also for tonyXIII who is a top geezer and really deserves to have a great day/weekend of it.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

11 hours ago, Red Willow said:

I just want Salford to perform. I still haven't quite got used to the idea Salford are in the final.

We came close at Saints to winning so have it in us but think it might just be too much

It'd be strange to be an SRD fan and think any other way Red Willow.

That game too far, Saints all season and Salford's and TGG's track record with luck mean if you're a gambler you'd have to put your money on the sensible side.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

9 hours ago, DG70 said:

Surreal that Salford are actually in the GF, but this is no run of the mill Salford side, its an extremely hard working side with some real quality throughout, they have turned Warrington over 3 times this year as well as outplaying both Cas and Wigan in recent weeks, also lets not forget they should have won at Saints earlier in the season, its a serious team and absolutely in the GF on merit!

Table doesn't lie mate 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

10 hours ago, M j M said:

Thaler will be disappointed not to get this. He's been on top of his game the past few weeks.

It's a disgrace Saints have been allowed to effectively rule Hicks out from refereeing them although he wouldn't deserve it on performance in any event.

So Hicks doesn’t deserve it, didn’t get it, but Saints disgracefully ruled him out? Strange way of looking at it.

I will be rooting for Salford but i just don't see anything other than a Saints win if they can get anything close to their best. Of course the pressure is all on the Saints to win, even more so now it is Salford in the final and they still have the recent chokers tag to shake off so there lies the glimmer of hope that Saints may put in a performance akin to the CC one.

Hoping for a good game and Salford can keep it a contest for at least an hour. I'm sure whatever happen their fans will enjoy the occasion. 

19 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Chris Kendall reffing.

And your Lottery numbers are:

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

The first televised Rugby League match in which I took any interest as a skinny, long-haired teenager in Scotland was a cup final between these two.  

St. Helens beat Salford 15-2 in the 1976 Premiership Final at Swinton, adding this to the Challenge Cup which they had won a couple of weeks before.  From memory, Salford had just been crowned league champions so they were both top sides at the time.

18 hours ago, M j M said:

Ha ha ha - Hicks effectively ruled himself out with his pi$$ poor performance at Webley !

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

Ha ha ha - Hicks effectively ruled himself out with his pi$$ poor performance at Webley !

You mean when he made a mistake in the 3rd minute which apparently caused Saints to completely collapse for the rest of the game? Not exactly a legendary display of champion qualities was it.

Head = Saints 

Heart = Salford

I said the same before the Wigan Salford semi and heart came out on top then, so here's hoping history repeats itself. 

Nothing against Saints, I think Holbrook has brought so much to Superleague over the last 2 1/2 years. His team have set a professional standard that has forced the others to keep up, with an attractive style of play to boot. In some ways it would be a travesty for him to depart without winning any (proper) silverware. 

But this Salford team is a special story that'll long be remembered if they go all the way. With the impending departures it's now or never, and I hope they get it done on Saturday night. Can't wait. 

The anticipation and build up to this game is really benefiting from the lack of RL following last weekend's quality glut.  Come on Salford!

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Even the Bocklers can't mess this up. Saints by 19.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived