Sat 12 Oct: SLGF: Salford Red Devils v St Helens KO 6pm (TV)

Who will win?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils by 13 points or more
    • Salford Red Devils by 7 to 12 points
    • Salford Red Devils by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/10/19 at 17:00

14 minutes ago, Roy Haggerty said:

These interviews just remind me how great our rugby league players are. They’re all so modest, so generous, and actually bloody eloquent. 

love our sport. 

Got her indoors glued to it. As always she loves the aftermath more than the game..... Now I have to watch the dancing..... 

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

A modern phenomena which I do not agree with, mascot yes, all the others, no.

You have your opinions I have mine. 

You do make me smile Harry.  Of all the things to disagree with in the modern game you choose players celebrating a Grand Final win with their families.

And yes, I do accept it is your opinion and you are indeed entitled to it.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Thompson, Walmsley, and LMS... amazing performances by those 3 players. Did not stop all game. Relentless. Massive wrap to Percival and Coote who I also thought were excellent. 

An amazing season with just the blip at Wembley. Head and shoulders above anyone else. Utterly dominate this year (bar against London as pointed out by a fellow poster!). 

All facilitated by Holbrook though; he’s been immense. The Cunningham era created a shell of a club; disenfranchised supporters, dull rugby and mediocrity. Holbrook has turned that all around with primarily the same playing squad. Immense effort. Thank you Justin; you’ll be missed.

Yep, got to agree with a few on here. Better team won.

Also agree with most that the referee probably got a few wrong in the second half. Thought he was very good in the first. 

Disagree with the name calling etc.

It wasn’t the referee’s intention to make incorrect calls. He calls the game as it unfolds in front of his eyes. Sometimes actions are missed, sometimes they are hidden and other times they are overlooked.

Welcome to an imperfect world.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Ah the pundits, well there you go then, let’s call it a mismatch and have a replay, we could draw a name out of the forum to ref it 

They sounded quite correct to me. In your expert opinion are they wrong in what they say? 

2 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Interesting that they didn't focus on the knock on by Salford that I thought wasn't one (but interference by Smith) which they made a big deal of during the game.  Instead they do as they always do and create some controversy to take the deserved attention away from Saints.  In 2014 it was all about Wigan losing with 12 men rather than Saints winning.  This time it will be how many mythical infringements Saints got away with.

Actually, that's all rubbish.  Saints ended up being the better side in every aspect of the game.  They won 23-4, not 5-4.  Salford had plenty of time to win the game just as Saints did after their try that wasn't back at Wembley.  Saints couldn't do it then and Salford couldn't do it tonight because we were beaten by the better side in Wembley and Salford were beaten by the better side tonight.  End of story.

On the other hand, why not get the ref get his decisions right?  Why for instance did the ref not give Wigan a penalty inside the first 3 minutes for a strip instead of a KO?  Saints play the game very cute.  As for laying on in the tackle... give me a break. 

But they are a good side, but cute with it. 

Massive wraps to Salford too. Thought they were excellent in defeat; a credit to their supports and the City. It’s a shame the likes of Hastings, Bibby, Jones et al are leaving. But their journey has been a fairytale and excellent to watch. I hope all the Salford fans on here enjoyed the experience despite the loss; hope it spurs the club on to drive for further success.

3 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

On the other hand, why not get the ref get his decisions right?  Why for instance did the ref not give Wigan a penalty inside the first 3 minutes for a strip instead of a KO?  Saints play the game very cute.  As for laying on in the tackle... give me a break. 

But they are a good side, but cute with it. 

Think you might have made a Freudian slip in there matey.

42 minutes ago, dkw said:

It's a shame this salford team is going to be stripped next year, would have been interesting to see just how good they would be with a couple of additions. 

Yes indeed.   How to prevent such wholesale dismantling of a team, though.

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

I know and that's what they were saying.

Yeah, not disagreeing. Laws also state the ball will be fed into the tunnel between the front row. Not sure where I stand on the decision to allow play on.

How did it irregularly affect play? I need to see the replay.

From memory the halfback went wide and it was the inside pass to an unmarked player that resulted in the try.

19 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Think Saints would have won anyway and congratulations to them on a great season. The referee spoilt the game as a spectacle in the second half. I’m a neutral and just wanted to see a good game, a game the players were producing until Kendall took all the impetuous out of it. Saints didn’t need the help and some of those decisions were bizarre. I’m in the camp of refs don’t make mistakes on purpose but if was a Salford fan that would leave a bitter taste in my mouth especially knowing they’re unlikely to get there again for a very long time.

Shame we’re talking about referees in yet another big rugby league game. It really is an Achilles heel for the sport.

Firstly congratulations Saints fans...over the season you deserved it.

I actualy like kendall as a ref, but this post has saved me writing the same thing...couldnt have summed it up better. Tottaly spoiled the second half and the game for me to be honest...im sorry but some of those calls were ridiculous.

Just now, Sports Prophet said:

Yeah, not disagreeing. Laws also state the ball will be fed into the tunnel between the front row. Not sure where I stand on the decision to allow play on.

How did it irregularly affect play? I need to see the replay.

From memory when the, halfback went wide and it was the inside pass to an unmarked player that resulted in the try.

Fage dragged the Salford defender out which created the gap for Taia.

22 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Interesting that they didn't focus on the knock on by Salford that I thought wasn't one (but interference by Smith) which they made a big deal of during the game.  Instead they do as they always do and create some controversy to take the deserved attention away from Saints.  In 2014 it was all about Wigan losing with 12 men rather than Saints winning.  This time it will be how many mythical infringements Saints got away with.

Actually, that's all rubbish.  Saints ended up being the better side in every aspect of the game.  They won 23-4, not 5-4.  Salford had plenty of time to win the game just as Saints did after their try that wasn't back at Wembley.  Saints couldn't do it then and Salford couldn't do it tonight because we were beaten by the better side in Wembley and Salford were beaten by the better side tonight.  End of story.

Saints ended up being the better side in every aspect of the game. 

Where has anyone said otherwise? In addition, most posters, including me, have praised Saints (however reluctantly)  for their whole season.  Yes, a little triumphalism is allowed but end of story? Is that a promise? ?

For all that JH has done to turn St Helens into this amazing side without excessively splashing the cash, I do wonder if the Gold Coast Titans are going to be job too big for him. Good luck, but...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good to hear from all the players and coach at the end... and rather surprising reading some comments not one even hinted at ref decisions.....

I though the ref had a good game, yep some decisions that could be debated, as always. Never-the-less I don't think any were as clear cut as some suggest, open to debate yep.

Have we ever had a final/major game, here or in the NRL in which people bemoan the man in the middle. I sometimes wish the ref's would all jack it in... and let fans referee.  If theirs one thing that switch's me off this sport its the constant carping about the ref.

The better team and far superior team won handling the attempts by opposition to slow them..

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

Fage dragged the Salford defender out which created the gap for Taia.

Thought that may have been the case.

I’ll take your word for it.

I certainly know similar to a team mate in front of the PTB, the scrum half can’t be placed inside if the ball moves in front of him. 

It’s one of the problems with our sport. There are a few laws which are absurd and far too many infringements in 80 minutes for a referee to call all of them. When we the fans allow leniency to the laws in order for the “game to flow”, then we can expect to have occasions like this.

So many arm chair referees on here. Maybe one or two have taken up the whistle and been in charge of local footy games. Give the guys a break... Decisions on what they see.. In the heat of the moment... In the pace of the game... Anyone on here ever tried it at junior level never mind the pressures of the biggest game of the season.?? 

Anyway with the support of video referee we hope they get crucial calls right. Other calls are what's in front of them... After all they are only human. 

Cracking final ?

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

Thought that may have been the case.

I’ll take your word for it.

It actually just showed it on Sky Sports News and now it has been pointed out it is really noticeable and it definitely creates the big hole in the defence. 

Archived