Sat 12 Oct: SLGF: Salford Red Devils v St Helens KO 6pm (TV)

Who will win?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils by 13 points or more
    • Salford Red Devils by 7 to 12 points
    • Salford Red Devils by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 1 to 6 points
    • St Helens by 7 to 12 points
    • St Helens by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/10/19 at 17:00

6 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

McMannus did not complain about a single decision... he accused the ref (and in fact the whole system) of being bent.    So much so that the SKY presenter called it out for what it was, the most despicable comment and accusation made by a rugby official in living history.

Yeah, whatever.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Damien said:

So if it's against Salford it's as plain as the nose on anyone's face but if it's an incorrect decision in favour of Saints you ignore it.

Er no.  On this very thread I have pointed out the decision I thought the ref got wrong and that is where the Salford forward was judged to have knocked on near the line but I thought it was our hooker Smith who interfered in the play.  It should have been a pen to Salford.  I have written that on this thread for goodness sake.  Why not read my posts before making childish statements?

The wrong decision at Wembley was a disgrace.  There was no equivalent tonight.  Salford were not denied a try that was actually a try.  They were denied one based upon a blatant obstruction.  They were denied the chance to score a try by the mistake I mentioned above and previously on this thread.  But IMO that is the only example I can think of where the ref actually made a mistake, for either team.  I thought he was as good tonight as he was at the Wolfpack game and tonight was his first SL grand final so hopefully he will keep up the good work.

Just now, Saintslass said:

Er no.  On this very thread I have pointed out the decision I thought the ref got wrong and that is where the Salford forward was judged to have knocked on near the line but I thought it was our hooker Smith who interfered in the play.  It should have been a pen to Salford.  I have written that on this thread for goodness sake.  Why not read my posts before making childish statements?

The wrong decision at Wembley was a disgrace.  There was no equivalent tonight.  Salford were not denied a try that was actually a try.  They were denied one based upon a blatant obstruction.  They were denied the chance to score a try by the mistake I mentioned above and previously on this thread.  But IMO that is the only example I can think of where the ref actually made a mistake, for either team.  I thought he was as good tonight as he was at the Wolfpack game and tonight was his first SL grand final so hopefully he will keep up the good work.

Just shut up and enjoy the win, you are embarrassing yourself.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Incredible!!! No wonder our game continues to diminish, we had a superb occasion tonight but all a lot of us can comment on us the referee’s performance.

Why not celebrate the class of Saints and the guts of Salford?

We’re our own worst enemies and quite frankly don’t deserve this great game of ours

Agreed Phil. It wasn't about the ref.

Saints controlled the game very well in the second half.  Well done t them.

Great stuff from Salford this season.

13 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

1 decision wrong, that's gracious of you. You are awfully selective about the posts you reply to and the ones you ignore.

What about the scrum try that the referees got wrong? What about the Grace jump into the tackle and no penalty to Salford that led to a Saints try? What about the strip by Saints that was given as a knock on that led to another Saints try? What about the Saints headbutt? What about the other 50/50 calls that nearly all went Saints way?

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

I flew for a couple of hours to get to Manchester, staying in a hotel tonight and it was worth it to see such tremendous athletes at the culmination of such a season. At @Padgebought me a pint. Certainly, worth it. 

I am not going to take complaints from people who only had to turn their TV on too seriously

Two great teams and a great game. 

I will take that on board Bob in a couple of weeks when I am in New Zealand for the GB series.

Seriously though, how many games to you have an opinion on, and do you watch them while you are living overseas?

In amongst the "controversy" out there, perhaps I can comment on something else.  The play off system.

Finishing top clearly lifts the league leader a leg up. This is intended. I think that works, and I think people really ought to put the hub cap issue to bed.  The system brings the top 5 together to concentrate their minds.

This year frankly teams from 2nd to 7th all had real problems for various reasons and they were all of a muchness.  The fact that Salford were something of a class below Saints should not be surprising and its not their fault.

The rest of the other 11 need to produce more consistency next season and I look forward to seeing which top 5 emerge. But I think the system gives a good and purposeful end to the season.

The wider issue is that we have far too many games and there is really no proper focus on the great prize at the end.  Previously in our history it's all been about simply one fixture after another in the same way a climber climbs a mountain because it's there.   

We have too may games and other things come out from that. It raises many issues... far too many to go into right here.  Perhaps some professional journalists can take it further?

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

1 decision wrong, that's gracious of you. You are awfully selective about the posts you reply to and the ones you ignore.

What about the scrum try that the referees got wrong? What about the Grace jump into the tackle and no penalty to Salford that led to a Saints try? What about the strip by Saints that was given as a knock on that led to another Saints try? What about the Saints headbutt? What about the other 50/50 calls that nearly all went Saints way?

The scrum try.  The referees (and yes, two of them looked at that one) didn't get it wrong as Theo retreated.  Was he supposed to retreat 10ms or something?

Grace didn't jump into the tackle.  He tried to jump over the player.  I've seen that happen before and it's never been penalised.  Why should it have been tonight?

I have no idea what you are talking about when you speak of a strip by Saints given as a knock on.  When was that?  I doubt it led to a try as I remember all Saints' tries and none of them came about as a result of a strip/knock on.  Presumably Salford failed to defend some Saints play and we scored at some point.

Saints didn't headbutt anyone.  Do you know what a headbutt is?  Players regularly rub heads in the tackle.  A headbutt is defined on the RFL website.  I suggest you take a look.

Meanwhile, and I have now had a few to drink, Saints are the 2019 Champions and we deserve to be!  Salford were worthy opponents and, as I've already said, I only came out from behind the sofa halfway through the second half as I was never remotely comfortable.  I hope the Salford club can build on their GF appearance and return to the big stage again in the near future.  

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

I will take that on board Bob in a couple of weeks when I am in New Zealand for the GB series.

Seriously though, how many games to you have an opinion on, and do you watch them while you are living overseas?

A good point. 

I think we can forget how lucky we are to have such a sport. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

30 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

Just shut up and enjoy the win, you are embarrassing yourself.

How rude.

I can assure you, however, that I am very much enjoying the win!  I have the match on as I type this and a nice glass of something happiness inducing beside me.  But thanks for your concern.

Just now, Saintslass said:

How rude.

I can assure you, however, that I am very much enjoying the win!  I have the match on as I type this and a nice glass of something happiness inducing beside me.  But thanks for your concern.

Judging by your post above you should put your glasses on.

Saints were overwhelming the better team.  Salford made early crucial  errors that helped Saints to pile on the pressure and keep play in Salfords half, helping to zap their mental and physical energies. That in itself as in most RL games meant Salford would struggle in later part of game.

In the second half Saints sustained a stranglehold on Salford, keeping them pressed back. Salford really struggled against Saints tackling and defensive efforts. If we are having to talk ref he had no impact on Saints total dominance, although if I had to be critical I would say he allowed Salford often to move from the mark.... it made no difference  to Saints suffocating tackling and defence and better attacking performance..

Why on earth we have to focus on individual ref decisions when one team were so dominant, so much stronger and so much better.

58 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Yeah, whatever.

I am not commenting on "whatever".  You are suggesting McMannus was comaining about just one decision. The reality that I am reminding you is he was having a huge go at the ref in a much wider context.

It sounds tonight that Saints were easily the better side and we should not be suprised at that. I look forward to watching the highlights.   Saints play the ruck and tackle rules well and refs are suckers.  Perhaps refs will cotton on one day.

St Helens were near perfect and that is really hard to live with, Wigan will tell you that. Credit to them, but equal credit to Salford and as we have now played in a Grand Final, that experience will make the next step in our development a big step nearer.  The ref may have been harsh to us, but until I play back the recording I’ll hold back my opinions. 
It’s been great fun this season and I’m very happy with that tonight.

I have to thank the RFL too for organising wheelchair access tickets for my Mum and me as her carer,. Accessibility at Old Trafford was magnificent
I’ll try and sleep.

Proud Salford fan.

45 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

The scrum try.  The referees (and yes, two of them looked at that one) didn't get it wrong as Theo retreated.  Was he supposed to retreat 10ms or something?

Grace didn't jump into the tackle.  He tried to jump over the player.  I've seen that happen before and it's never been penalised.  Why should it have been tonight?

I have no idea what you are talking about when you speak of a strip by Saints given as a knock on.  When was that?  I doubt it led to a try as I remember all Saints' tries and none of them came about as a result of a strip/knock on.  Presumably Salford failed to defend some Saints play and we scored at some point.

Saints didn't headbutt anyone.  Do you know what a headbutt is?  Players regularly rub heads in the tackle.  A headbutt is defined on the RFL website.  I suggest you take a look.

Meanwhile, and I have now had a few to drink, Saints are the 2019 Champions and we deserve to be!  Salford were worthy opponents and, as I've already said, I only came out from behind the sofa halfway through the second half as I was never remotely comfortable.  I hope the Salford club can build on their GF appearance and return to the big stage again in the near future.  

I thought I was in the posh seats at OT tonight, but I didn't have a sofa to hide behind.

5 minutes ago, John Boriston said:

St Helens were near perfect and that is really hard to live with, Wigan will tell you that. Credit to them, but equal credit to Salford and as we have now played in a Grand Final, that experience will make the next step in our development a big step nearer.  The ref may have been harsh to us, but until I play back the recording I’ll hold back my opinions. 
It’s been great fun this season and I’m very happy with that tonight.
I’ll try and sleep.

Proud Salford fan.

It's been great seeing them doing so well, hope it continues...yep should be proud of the team and club 

As a neutral, really enjoyed the atmosphere and match tonight. Correct team won, but Salford didn’t get the run of the green. It wouldn’t have made a difference though. Thought the ref did well, but in our game, with the current rules (stripping the ball) lots of decisions are guess work, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Fascinating reading back because, as a spectator at Old Trafford, I thought Saints were comfortably the better side throughout (bar a 10-minute spell at the end of the first half) and completely deserved their 17-point win.

Couldn’t agree more.  Saints pace was ferocious and Salford’s defence was heroic.

i think refs decisions sometime are led by the flow of the game and saints were the more dominant.

the stuff around stripping the ball or knock ons has been shocking all season the ref needs more help. 

Congrats to Saints and Salford.

Archived